Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CM advice on dealing with DI results misguided (Read 28926 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

CM advice on dealing with DI results misguided
Aug 31st, 2001 at 11:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
It's been a while since I've posted, so let me remind you up front:  I am a polygraph examiner.  The views I express are strictly my own and do not necessarily represent the Federal Government or the Department of Defense.

I recently received an E-mail from a military examiner.  The Government discourages examiners from voicing their views in public, so he wrote to me.  I am passing it along (with his permission) in the hopes it will provide food for thought.  I deleted only his name.

He writes:

Dr Barland:

I was happy to see your post regarding Chuck.  I just completed an intense "gnashing of teeth" over the effect George's book is having on some people.  Although I don't consider myself well versed enough to enter the debate on the site, I wanted to share this with you.

In the last several weeks I have encountered numerous DI subjects, who abruptly terminated their interviews at the 40-60 minute mark.  I spoke with you briefly about this at DoDPI.  Per your suggestion I "studied" George's book and sure enough at the top of page 81, he instructs them to do exactly what I had experienced.

Where I find this significant to your post and quite infuriating for me personally is how it impacts military personnel.  The military judicial system is unique and specifically designed to allow commanders wide latitude in discipline with soldiers who get in trouble.  In cases involving lower enlisted soldiers, who tested positive for drugs on urinalysis, the policy is generally to give them a field grade article 15 and allow them to remain in service.

What I have found as a trend is the subjects I test, who admit to being in the category of peer pressures, alcohol, and opposite sex influenced into using drugs usually get that second chance and many get portions of their punishment suspended.  Those who are DI and dummie up are usually given the maximum punishment at a field grade 15 and frequently receive disciplinary chapter discharges from the service.  

This week I had two such young men that I tested, both of whom probably fit into the PPAOS influenced category, one involving drugs and one involving minor theft, who had studied George's book (both admitted to at least visiting the site) and attempted unsuccessfully to practice CM.  Both made no substantive admissions and both are getting crushed and discharged.  In the case of the man I tested this afternoon, his unit asked for an expedited QC review because they want to discharge him as soon as possible.

I feel in both these cases the individuals could have mitigated their punishment and remained in service.  It really frustrates me that George and others are screwing up the lives of other people by giving bad advice that only furthers their personal agendas.  After reading George's book, they
truely feel that if they say nothing, nothing will happen.  While thats probably good advice in the screening arena, its not ALWAYS good advise in the criminal specific issue testing.  I really hate seeing a mistake in judgement turn into a life altering event unnecessarily.

I appreciate your tolerance of my vented frustration.

End of enclosure.

Peace.

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Really Last Post

Re: CM advice on dealing with DI results misguided
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 12:21am
Darn, guess I lied when I put my post in the challenge to Skip Webb thread, because I had to make one more.  Okay you win wannabe, obviously I lied however unintentionally so I must be an evil examiner.   

Dr Barland, how refreshing to find some other articulate counterpoints on this site.  Hope you fare better than I.  I will be following this thread with interest.  It was also a very interesting observation you made in the to those who have tried countermeasures thread.  It is my sincere hope that anyone who visits this site takes the time to read that thread.  As you noted it was indeed very telling.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 2:13am
really last post,

please see my reply in challenge to Skip Webb thread, and by the way, not everyone that lies is considered a polygrapher, however, you know as well as I that anyone who is a polygrapher lies.

as for Dr. Barland's post, it hurts to see more people's lives and dreams in jeopardy because of the polygraph, be it because THEY chose to heed the advise of any book or publication or because they were forced to submit to a coin toss polygraph interrogation.  If these individuals failed drug tests I don't see the need for polygraph anyway, and if they didn't, then why are they under investigation?

if Dr. Barland thinks he is infuriated, imagine what a truthful person would feel like after being wrongfully accused because of a junk science. 

Quote:
What I have found as a trend is the subjects I test, who admit to being in the category of peer pressures, alcohol, and opposite sex influenced into using drugs usually get that second chance and many get portions of their punishment suspended.  Those who are DI and dummie up are usually given the maximum punishment at a field grade 15 and frequently receive disciplinary chapter discharges from the service

Soooo what's being said here is that anyone who uses drugs can simply say, " it's not my fault", and they will get a second chance...otherwise they get booted, that's encouraging.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 5:15pm
With regard to the frustration expressed by a military polygraph examiner forwarded to us by Gordon Barland for our consideration....    

How are we to accept this "I'm just here to help you?" attitude?  Is it not similar to an IRS agent's introduction as he begins his audit or an Internal Affairs Division (IAD) agent's welcoming remarks to an employee suspected of criminal or administrative wrongdoing?  Would we not expect said investigated individuals to consult with their accountants and attorneys, respectively, and would we not furthermore expect these experts to advise their clients not to make any damaging admissions and while answering questions truthfully not to allow themselves to be subjected to badgering and numerous reasking of the same questions?   

Why are we to believe that this recognized "seller of jail time" is here to serve our purposes and not merely his own and that of his agency?  I think we can safely assume, if and only if these purposes happen to coincide with those of the examinee, will the examinees needs be met.  We know that in the past (perhaps currently as well) that certain agencies have evaluated their polygraph examiners on the basis of the number of confessions and admissions they obtain following DI polygraph results.   

Aside: Gordon, do you know if this is the case with this polygraph examiner and his agency?

Aside from the obvious bias that this activity represents, placing an examiner in the role of an advocate of some outcome (and an outcome known to be erroneous with a false positive polygraph result) and completely at odds with ethical practice of serious forensic disciplines, what about this practice would instill confidence in an examinee to "purge his soul" to such an individual and his agency?  I think for the time being (and likely for all time) we can safely assume that George's suggestions for innocent subjects regarding the post test phase of a polygraph are correct: never make any admissions regarding either the substantive issues addressed by the exam or any efforts at countermeasures you may have attempted to employ.  Polygraph examiners realize that the diagnostic value of their DI polygraph results is meaningless absent an admission or confession.  DO NOT be duped by this ploy to hand them that which they seek and that which will be your undoing.  A deceptive polygraph result leading to some administrative action can be challenged and litigation pursued if necessary.  The ability to do this is severely compromised by any admissions/confessions (however innocent you believe your explanations to be) you may make.  Recognize disinformation for what it is---let the buyer beware before he succumbs to the crocodile tears of this frustrated examiner.  I don't doubt that he is frustrated, just that this frustration stems from his interests, not yours...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 5:23pm
Gordon,

You wrote:

Quote:
I recently received an E-mail from a military examiner.  The Government discourages examiners from voicing their views in public, so he wrote to me.  I am passing it along (with his permission) in the hopes it will provide food for thought.  I deleted only his name.

Thank you for forwarding this writer's comments. Note that while certain individuals who work for the U.S. Government may discourage polygraph examiners from voicing their views in public, the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees their right to do so. Nonetheless, any who may fear retaliation for voicing their views in public are welcome to participate in this forum anonymously.

To the anonymous author of the message Gordon forwarded,

Note that in the cases you cite, your subjects, if indeed they had read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, did not heed our recommendation that anyone who stands accused of a crime should not submit to polygraphic interrogation. The following excerpt is from pp. 65-66 of the 1st edition:

Quote:

Just Say No

The surest way to avoid a false positive outcome is to refuse to submit to polygraph interrogation. However, this approach may have serious adverse consequences. If you refuse to submit to a polygraph screening interrogation, you may be denied employment, and if already employed, you may lose your job.

If, however, you stand accused of a crime, "just say no!" You have little to gain and much to lose: if you "pass," the police may well continue to suspect you regardless; if you "fail," it will only confirm their suspicions. As John A. Larson, a pioneer of polygraphic lie detection lamented:

I originally hoped that instrumental lie detection would become
   a legitimate part of professional police science. It is little more
   than a racket. The lie detector, as used in many places, is nothing
   more than a psychological third-degree aimed at extorting confes-
   sions as the old physical beatings were. At times I'm sorry I ever
   had any part in its development.[reference deleted]

In refusing to submit to polygraphic interrogation, you may additionally use the "complete honesty" approach described below....

If you disagree with the above, you are welcome to explain here.

You also imply, in the two cases you cite, that it would have been in the best interest of the subjects whom you deemed deceptive to have made post-test confessions. What assurance can you provide visitors to this site that such is the case, and that any such confession would not have simply been used as additional evidence against them?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 6:57pm
Quote:
This week I had two such young men that I tested, both of whom probably fit into the PPAOS influenced category, one involving drugs and one involving minor theft, who had studied George's book (both admitted to at least visiting the site) and attempted unsuccessfully to practice CM.  Both made no substantive admissions and both are getting crushed and discharged.

I find it ironic that this polygrapher assails us for giving out "bad advice" and chooses to support it with two cases where our advice was not followed.  We make it very clear (1) Never to submit to polygraph interrogation when a suspect in a crime and (2) Never to admit usage or knowledge of countermeasures.  Since these individuals ignored both of these suggestions, it would seem that they are following their own advice, not ours.

Quote:
The military judicial system is unique and specifically designed to allow commanders wide latitude in discipline with soldiers who get in trouble. 

If the military justice system allows harsh consequences to be dealt to those who “fail” a pseudoscientific test and maintain their innocence yet assigns lesser punishments to those who submit, lie, and later admit it, I feel that "unique" is a poor choice of a word to describe this system.  Perhaps “warped” is more appropriate.

This examiner would have us believe that he is genuinely concerned with helping out those who use drugs, submit to his "test," and provide deceptive answers to relevant questions.  I would have an easier time believing this examiner's sincerity if he was urging those who have engaged in wrongdoing to confess beforehand, eliminating the need for any polygraph “test.”

To suggest that one who lies on a polygraph and later admits it is better off than one who produces a “failing” chart with no accompanying admissions also appears disingenuous. This type of statement reeks of the common interrogation tactic of attempting to minimize the appearance of the consequences of what one has done.  By saying that the consequences of using drugs and lying about it are minimal compared to the punishment that will be received for producing a deceptive polygraph chart and not admitting it, this is exactly what this examiner is doing.   

A similar tactic is often used following pre-employment screening tests.  The examiner will often tell “DI” applicants that they have a good shot at being hired if they just admit that they lied.  For those readers who believe that they will still be hired after admitting that they submitted false written statements (the employment application), I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell. 

This examiner has two possible concerns:  The welfare of drug users and other deceptive criminals who lie to cover their tracks or the dwindling efficacy of his art among knowledgeable suspects in criminal situations (where polygraph “test” results are meaningless but confessions are fully admissible).  Readers of this thread can decide for themselves which is the case.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Examiner

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 8:44pm
A lot of points to address here.  Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to do it justice, so I'll have to try and get something together later this week.  But I do want to address a couple of points.  First, I am not rated based on my confession rate.  Second, Military Rule of Evidence 707 prevents polygraph results or the mere mention of polygraph to be used in a military trial.  Third, and I recognize this is hard for some of you to get ahold of, but yes I do share concern for those who come to see me.   

Polygraph in the military, passed or failed, is not used solely to make decisions on a person's future.  The case facts and other evidence are.  While I agree with Gino, or whoever it was who noted that with a postivie urinalysis, why is there a need for a polygraph in most cases.  I am personally aware of two cases where individuals who had positive urinalysis results were exculpated by the polygraph and truely had innocently/unknowing ingested illegal drugs, so there is always a possibility that this presumptive test result does not indicate criminal behavior.

The other aspect that will be difficult for some here to accept is the military is a values based culture.  Duty, honor and integrity are more than just catch phrases to many who serve their country.  Along with that leaders recognize that people make mistakes, an admitted and learned from mistake can be survived.  Repetition of the same mistake, or a failure to acknowledge a mistake may not be survived.  The problem that existed for both of the individuals being discussed here, is the case facts showed their involvement.  When the commander has no information as to the circumstances which lead these individuals to commit criminal acts, the only option is to err on the conservative side and assume they acted deliberately.  Add that neither of these individuals did anything to restore their integrity, in organizations where this is highly valued, and the consequences are obvious.

You may also note that I agreed that some of the strategies discussed in this site's download would be effective in the screening arena.  And yes Gino, I fully agree with you that anyone who committed a crime should not take a polygraph, as they will surely be found out.  But I also believe each person should weigh their own situation and make their own decisions.  Perhaps it would be better to present your thoughts (George and Gino) more in the vein of information as opposed to advice.  That was the point I was trying to make.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Examiner

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 9:05pm
One further thought.  Again I fully agree with Gino's assertion that it would have been better for both of these individuals and probably others in similar situations to admit their guilt at the onset and eliminate the need for the polygraph.  I assumed that went without saying.  Without doubt the longer false denials go on, the further compromised their integrity becomes the harder it is to restore it.

With regard to your comment about a "warped" system, I find it shocking that you or anyone would consider a system of justice, which is interested in viewing a criminal act in the total context of how and why it occurred before rendering judgement, and rewarding those who regret and accept responsibility for their misconduct, warped.  I guess I have to wonder if the people who instilled your values system ever gave you a break for telling the truth.  I would have to conclude they did, based on your assertion that people who do bad stuff should fess up without it coming down to a polygraph examination.  I guess I have trouble reconciling the mixed messages I read on this site and in your download.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 10:36pm
Examiner, 

First, I want to let you know that I appreciate your participation in this forum.  The purpose of this forum is discussion--productive discussion only occurs when all sides of an issue are represented.  You may wish to register for the forum.  This will give you the ability to go back and edit your posts (and also allow you to exchange private messages with other users).

I still maintain that the system, if it functions in the way that it has been described, is warped.

If an individual who commits a crime voluntarily admits responsibility for the act, and expresses remorse, I agree with you that all efforts should be made to give the offender a "break."  In this situation, society has an interest in promoting honesty and cooperation with the justice system by rewarding those who have engaged in wrongdoing to come forward voluntarily.

This, however, is not the situation we are discussing on this thread.  Here, we are talking about someone who has committed a crime, lied about his involvement when questioned by investigators, and then lied once again at the outset of this supposed "lie detector" test.  We are not talking about a contrite, cooperative subject.  We are talking about someone who admits wrongdoing only after being worked over with a psychological billy club.  Essentially, this situation is one step removed from one in which a suspect admits wrongdoing only when a confession is beaten out of him.  I feel that the coercive element involved in this type of admission makes this a different situation that is hardly worthy of reward. 

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2001 at 11:35am
Dear Examiner,

I look forward to your responses to the questions raised here later this week. But I am puzzled by something in your post:

Quote:

The other aspect that will be difficult for some here to accept is the military is a values based culture.  Duty, honor and integrity are more than just catch phrases to many who serve their country.

Why do you believe it will be difficult for some here  to accept that values such as duty, honor, and integrity are more than just catchphrases to many who serve their country?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2001 at 12:08pm
I too would like to know the answer to George's question, as one who has served his country and the public at large in the military and seeks to do the same in law enforcement. It is not in my opinion the integrity of the subject of a polygraph that is the issue, as the there is a very real chance that mother Theresa could fail a polygraph, the fact in question is the validity of the polygraph to determine truth or deception, barring admissions that are squeezed out of the examinee. 

Also, I believe you mis-read Gino's post, he stated as does the book that anyone ACCUSED of a crime, (this is falling back on a seemingly forgotten right to be presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty) should not submit to the polygraph, as even an innocent person has slightly better than a coin flips odds of passing or failing. 
Quote:
And yes Gino, I fully agree with you that anyone who committed a crime should not take a polygraph, as they will surely be found out.  But I also believe each person should weigh their own situation and make their own decisions.

Also, based on my military experience, if a person failed a U.A. and claimed to be innocent, it was easy enough to find out with follow up U.A.s to see if the levels decreased and stayed clean. So if an innocent person failed the U.A. and then was to submit to a polygraph and lost the coin flip, I suppose that based on this, this person would not be presumed guilty?

Also please clerify that during the military court proceedings, any admissions a person were to make in the pre or post polygraph interviews would not be used in these proceedings?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Examiner

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2001 at 4:05am
Wannabe/George:

The reason I say that it may be hard for some to accept the values based culture, is that many of the examiners in the military, myself included, are military personnel.  It seems that some/many, which ever is preferred on this site, consider examiners to be without honor and integrity.  In this thread it is stated very clearly by at least two people who responded that my motives for the thoughts I expressed to Dr Barland are suspect.  That they represent misinformation and simple self-interest.  That is why I believe some/many will find that notion hard to accept.

I did not misunderstand what was said in the download or Gino's post.  I stand by my original statement that  I agree anyone who committed a crime should not take a polygraph as they will surely be found out.  Conversely I feel anyone who did not commit a crime should not avoid a polygraph.  I know this site popularizes the "no better than a coin toss" validity statement.  And before I start, no I'm not prepared to provide a list of peer reviewed research papers to support what I will say next, maybe Dr Barland can help with that.  The research that I am aware of generally indicates that polygraph is between 85% to 90% accurate.  While my preference would be for polygraph to be 100% accurate, I recognize that it is not, however it is significantly better than eyewitness recollection, which is generally considered to be around 35% accurate (much less than a coin toss).

I also want to clarify one thing that I think you may have misinterpreted, I never said that statements made during a polygraph were not admissible.  MRE 707(a) establishes a per se exclusion of polygraph results and states the mention of the use of polygraph in a courts martial proceeding may be grounds for a mistrial.  MRE 707(b) establishes that any statements made during a polygraph may be admissible.  While I can't speak for all military agencies, I know that in my own anyone undergoing a polygraph is advised of this clearly and in writing twice at the start of the process.

I don't want to move off topic with a discussion of military policy regarding UA results, but will say a positive urinalysis is considered presumptive evidence that the individual purposefully ingested illegal drugs.  In most instances the individual will be offered non-judicial punishment based solely on the results of the UA, of course the individual can decline and request a courts martial.  Generally speaking an individual with a positive UA result, who passes a polygraph will be considered exculpated.  Generally speaking an individual with a positive UA, who fails a polygraph, will still be offered non-judicial punishment.  Again I don't want to get off topic with a detailed discussion of this aspect.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2001 at 8:48am
Quote:

The reason I say that it may be hard for some to accept the values based culture, is that many of the examiners in the military, myself included, are military personnel.  It seems that some/many, which ever is preferred on this site, consider examiners to be without honor and integrity.  In this thread it is stated very clearly by at least two people who responded that my motives for the thoughts I expressed to Dr Barland are suspect.  That they represent misinformation and simple self-interest.  That is why I believe some/many will find that notion hard to accept.

Examiner,

Thank you for this clarification. My understanding of your message to Gordon, which he later posted here with your permission, was that it originated as a private message (not initially meant for posting here). I do not doubt that the concerns you expressed are heartfelt. And yet, with no disrespect intended, it also seems to me that your concerns are heavily shaded by self-interest. I look forward to reading your views on why it is in the best interest of a person accused of a crime to make a confession after failing a polygraph "test."
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2001 at 10:43am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Examiner

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2001 at 6:09pm
Okay, let me try to respond the comments here in some depth.  A couple things before I embark on this though.  First, I appreciate George acknowledging the origin of my communication with Dr Barland.  This was a private communication with Dr Barland regarding some frustration I have with the information in George’s download.  Since I did not intend for it to be post on this or any other site and I was communicating with someone who believes in the validity of polygraph, I don’t see what purpose I would hope to achieve by writing self-serving misinformation.  There was no hidden agenda when I wrote it and I wrote it from the gut.  I doubt that I will convince the doubters though, so there’s not much point in addressing that issue any further.  Second, I think and write in complete thoughts as opposed to “sound bites”.  I suspect most of you do the same, so rather than pick out phases and sentences to critique, I will generally respond to the individual posts as a whole thought from the writer.  If I fail to address something that you specifically would like addressed, let me know.

I’ll proceed through the posts chronologically.  Wannabe I think I responded to this post, but to clarify I didn’t say that anyone who commits a crime is better served by confessing, I was referring to a specific set of circumstances involving lower enlisted personnel on their first enlistment.

George, I think I already addressed this post also, but did not answer your specific question.  The answer is obviously none.  I do not make the decisions regarding prosecution and punishment, so I can’t and don't guarantee anything.  Also let me ask you a question in this vain, can you guarantee that if people follow the advice in your download nothing will happen to them?

Gino, again I think I addressed most of this, but I want to expand.  I don’t know how to express this without sounding like I’m embarking on name-calling, so I’m just going to write from the hip here and hope that it is not taken as a personal attack.  The response you posted here is really a cop-out.  The download begins by advising people to use complete honesty.  I agree with that, personally I don’t believe knowledge the control question test is a barrier.  I think there is a study out on that very topic and I will try to locate it and provide the reference.  Then it goes on to say if you don’t want to do that, then decline the test.  Again as I have previously stated I agree that anyone who has committed a crime should not take a polygraph.  Then it goes on to say that if you decide to submit, or feel compelled to submit, here are some countermeasures you can use.  Then it says if all else fails, don’t make admissions and don’t admit to being on this site or doing any research or using countermeasures.  This is in complete conflict with your earlier advice.  Then it says if that advice wasn’t followed, here’s the grievance procedure.  So to say they didn’t follow your advice, so their problems are self-made (understanding of course their initial misconduct was self-made), I consider a cop-out.  While my communication with Dr Barland spoke of specific advice that is given in the download, I believe in a general sense that everyone should balance the INFORMATION they are provided and make a decision regarding their specific situation.  I feel that the information should not be provided in a manner that advocates a particular course of action.  If the info is good, the reader will certainly make an appropriate decision without being told to follow a specific course.  Also throughout the download you mix screening and criminal testing together.  Dr Barland addresses this problem well in the “to those who have tried countermeasures” thread.  The bottomline is a good strategy for one, is not necessarily a good strategy for the other.

Gino, in your follow-on post, the commentary is very colorful and entertaining, but short on substance.  Exactly what is it that makes an interview with a polygraph examiner so much more coercive that an interview with any other investigator?  I would also add here that our country has a long history of the judiciary safe-guarding the civil rights of persons who are abused by law enforcement and barring those avenues of abuse.  Polygraphy has been used in law enforcement since the 1940’s.  Certainly if it was the type of process you so colorfully describe it would have been banned by the judiciary.

Wannabe, I believe I addressed this post also, with one exception.  I see in your posts you frequently refer to “the flip of a coin” polygraphy, would you mind providing a list of the peer reviewed research that YOU have studied to come to this conclusion or are you merely echoing someone else’s statements?

As I re-read my comments I recognize that some of them, particularly the last two, seem antagonistic.  I tried to re-word them, but can’t seem to express them any better than they are now written.  I do not mean these as personal attacks, please don’t interpret them that way.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2001 at 6:59pm
Examiner,

You wrote in part:

Quote:
George, I think I already addressed this post also, but did not answer your specific question.  The answer is obviously none.  I do not make the decisions regarding prosecution and punishment, so I can’t and don't guarantee anything.  Also let me ask you a question in this vain, can you guarantee that if people follow the advice in your download nothing will happen to them?

My question to you (posted on 1 Sep.) was:

Quote:
You also imply, in the two cases you cite, that it would have been in the best interest of the subjects whom you deemed deceptive to have made post-test confessions. What assurance can you provide visitors to this site that such is the case, and that any such confession would not have simply been used as additional evidence against them?

Now, your original complaint (in the first message of this thread) was regarding "numerous DI subjects, who abruptly terminated their interviews at the 40-60 minute mark." You lay the blame at my and Gino's feet (even though your subjects, if indeed they read our book, disregarded our unambiguous advice to those accused of a crime -- whether innocent or guilty -- to refuse to submit to a polygraph interrogation). You then cite two recent cases where you suggest that the subjects "could have mitigated their punishment and remained in service" by making post-test confessions. But you now concede that you "do not make the decisions regarding prosecution and punishment, so [you] can't and don't guarantee anything." Why then should a person accused of deception during a crime-related polygraph interrogation believe that it is in his or her best interest to make a post-test admission or confession?

You asked me if I can "guarantee that if people follow the advice in your download nothing will happen to them." No, I cannot guarantee anyone that if they follow the advice in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, nothing will happen to them. But I can guarantee that anyone accused of a crime (whether innocent or guilty) who follows our advice not to submit to a polygraph interrogation will not be stigmatized by having "failed" a polygraph "test." And I can guarantee anyone who refuses to submit to a post-test interrogation that no admissions made will be used against them (as there will be none).

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
CM advice on dealing with DI results misguided

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X