Normal Topic background info (Read 1941 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jay

background info
Aug 22nd, 2001 at 7:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
When I was younger, I came very close to joining the military (I even went to a MEPS center to be sworn in), but I was told to get a new SSN card with my full name. Eventually, I lost interest and never joined. Anyway, I initially reported to the recruiters about an incident I was involved in as a young adult, and it created big hurdle for my entrance (supposedly a sealed juvenile record). I was later told by other recruiters that I should have never mentioned it in the first place since they otherwise wouldnt have known. If applying for a police position, does anyone know if my application information must coincide with the military app information. Is there some database where that information was recorded and will be accessed during a background investigation. One more question.....Did I read correctly that Minnesota law enforcement agencies cannot require polygraph approval?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fidelis
New User

Re: background info
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2001 at 3:00pm
I respect your comments, LykenD... definitely an educated response....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMike

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2001 at 1:30am
I recently spoke with a California BI (Background Investigator) and he told me that they will check for any discrepancies in your applications with other agencies, including military.

The BI will most likely request that a judge review your sealed juvenille records.  It's up to the judge whether you should be allowed to become a police officer.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box abrm312
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2003 at 4:55am
Can anyone tell me what affect does an:

Other Than Honorable Discharge will have on me 

applying for a Correctional Officer position? I was a 

USMC Reservist and got discharged in 1997 after 

missing a few drills.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2003 at 5:13pm
Dear ABRM312:

I was in the reserves for quite some time. How much is "a few" drills.  Positive military reviews is a big plus in corrections since they tend to have a para-military command structure.  Like any employer, they need to depend on their people coming in to work under all circumstances since they run a twenty-four hour, seven days a week, operation.   

Completing what you start is important to any employer.  I do not have enough information regarding your situation to render a more detailed opinion.

On the surface it should not be a big deal unless there is more involved or you canceled out early in the contract.

Regards.

IP Logged

background info

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X