Normal Topic Fear and the Polygraph (Read 9918 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMike

Fear and the Polygraph
Aug 15th, 2001 at 12:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???  My question is in regards to fear and its role in the polygraph examination.  If I were able to control my fear would that prevent the detection of deception?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Godzilla
New User

Re: Fear and the Polygraph
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 4:58am
Thats a good question, i was also wondering if changing or adding something to the question in my mind will alter my physical responses?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 5:09am
Gentlemen,

Muting your physiological responses to the "relevant" questions is not necessary in order to "pass."  All that is necessary is to augment your responses to the control questions.  Polygraph “tests” are scored on a relative, not absolute scale.  This means that as long as your reaction to the control question is greater than your reaction to the relevant question, you "pass."  When performed properly, the countermeasure techniques described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector allow you to do just this.

You should automatically be at ease knowing that you, not the examiner, are in control of the test.  Once again, as long as you “add” to your responses to the control questions, there is no need to “subtract” from your responses to the relevant questions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 9:25am
Listen to and follow Gino's advice, Read the Free Manual and Relax!  Polygraphs rely on your being blind to their actual inner workings to work.  And Don't add things to questions in your mind as you are likely to make yourself even more nervous and shoot the Polygrams a wee bit too high.

Good luck.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Godzilla
New User

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 10:54am
I've read the book and I am a little worried if I am going to be able to decipher wich questions are the control questions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 5:08pm
Quote:
I've read the book and I am a little worried if I am going to be able to decipher wich questions are the control questions.

Godzilla, 

I agree that identifying the "control" questions is the most difficult part of employing countermeasures.  Nonetheless, after you have read over the sample lists of control questions enough times, they begin to jump out at you.

Furthermore, we planning some substantial additions in this area for next edition of the book (due early this fall).  If the matter is urgent, please contact me by e-mail at scalabrini@antipolygraph.org and I wil send you rough copy of some of the stuff I am preparing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMike

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 6:36pm
???  I understand the need to exaggerate the response to the control questions but wouldn't simply heightening ones fear of being caught in a lie be easier than worrying about breathing and muscle contractions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 6:43pm
Quote:

???  I understand the need to exaggerate the response to the control questions but wouldn't simply heightening ones fear of being caught in a lie be easier than worrying about breathing and muscle contractions?

See my reply to your question in the Polygraph Procedure forum (to which you cross-posted your original question):

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc&action=display&num=99... 

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cheyenne War Horse
New User

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2001 at 8:41pm
Anin, I read the posts and perhaps it is because I look at the polygraph as a helpful tool for helping Law Enforcement in the hiring process I have a bit of a different view on it.

Among American Indians there is "Ndn Speak".I call it it "Coyote Talk". There is also Navajo, Choctaw, Comanche "Code Talkers". It was used in WW2 and was the turning point "weapon" to foil the enemy and turned the tide of the War.

The American Indian places a very high spiritual belief on the power of the Eagle Feather.In order to possess one you have to be a member of a Federally Recognized Treaty Nation.You have to present the CDIB (Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood) and you get caught with a feather you are in Felony jurisidiction.Even the President unless enrolled cannot possess one.To be gifted by one from a Warrior Society is a wonderful honor.The "Spotted Eagle Warriors" are my favorite. The "Ten Bravest " of the Kiowa. 

The Eagle Feather is used for religious ceremony and honoring.It is also used as a "lie detector" test.Yes. You tell the person to hold it while they answer questions.If they are a Traditional and a Medicine person they use it in Ceremony also.It is used in the powwow (Apowa to the Chippewa is a sacred dream or war dance)by the people when they dance in celebration of our continuence and survival.

I have notified numerous FBI Offices and the WA DC Office of the FBI about using the Eagle feather and a medicine person for the hiring and interviewing of Traditional indian people when they apply to the Bureau and other Federal Law Enforcement.It has been used in a Co-defendents murder Case of SA Jack Coler and Agent Ron Williams who were brutally executed by Leonard Peltier on June 26, 1976 on the Jumping Bull Compound at the Pine Ridge Federal Indian Reservation in South Dakota.Indian Country and had the highest murder rate per capita in the United States.

On the Offices of the Federal Law Enforcement? They work directly with our Tribes and I believe the new Director Mr.Robert Mueller III because of the ongoing Trust relationship with the Federal Nations should also be a part of the Ceremony. It is the best way I can think of to ensure he will not only do his best for the Country but for the Federally Recognized Nations.Ceremony is very important and it is good to have him acknowledge we are looking to him for the security and Law Enforcement guardianship of our Nations. The FBI has Standing Jurisdiction on the Fed Lands.

I wanted to be a FBI Agent more than anything in the world but even though I cannot? It is no reason not to continue supporting the FBI and their efforts with the Tribes.The 25 years of men and the women of the FBI in my life has been the most aggravating and irritating and frustrating part of my life.But? I would not have had it any other way.Bless their lying,theiving, cheating, aka gangster hearts.My Heros. <Grin>If I physiclaly smack em?I get 16 YEARS hardtime in a Federal Prison.Them? They get a promotion and a raise. Or they get to be the Director of the FBI.See? Fairminded and integrity and ethics and honor abound with my "guys". I love em so......Cheyenne 

Having been where no War Horse has ever been before? I wish to make a statement to the Press."Gosh I am tired".End quote".

IP Logged

Fear and the Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X