Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Upcoming poly and countermeasures (Read 9089 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Upcoming poly and countermeasures
Aug 10th, 2001 at 1:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Question, I have read chapter 3 a couple of times.  Just to make sure I have it right.  I want to employ counter measures only when asked "control questions"?  I want to keep the same breathing pattern througout the test with the exception of more rapid breathing during control questions?  Does this sound like I have the right idea?  I will be taking a poly soon for pre employment.  I want to ensure that I pass this test!!!!  Very important to me.  Any help will be appreciated.

Anonymous

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous II

Re: Upcoming poly and countermeasures
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2001 at 2:39am
No! The way I understand it is you need to employ countermeasures to any question that you want to lie to. I hope this helps.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2001 at 3:00am

Quote:

No! The way I understand it is you need to employ countermeasures to any question that you want to lie to. I hope this helps.

You are obviously a polygrapher, trying to mislead people even when they are not in your little room hooked up to your miracle machine. 

anonymous: if you look at the way polygraph "works" if your reaction to a relevant question is more than your responce to a control question, this is construed as deceptive, so augmnentation is obviously applied only to control questions to minimize the VERY REAL chance that your body reacts stronger to a relevant question than to the control, even if truthful. 
It seems to me that these polygraphers are so accustomed to lying that they carry that over into everything they do.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2001 at 10:23am
Anonymous,

Physiological responses should be augmented only to the "control" questions. Similarly, one's baseline breathing pattern should only be departed from when answering the "control" questions. Note that increasing one's breathing rate is only one of several possible techniques that can be employed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2001 at 5:36am
Thanks for the replies.  I am glad that there is a web site that helps people avoid a machine with no integrity!!!!  I will have more questions as my poly date get's closer that I will post at the appropriate time.  Again, thank you!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2001 at 6:24am
Quote:
I am glad that there is a web site that helps people avoid a machine with no integrity!!!!  

Anonymous, thanks for your kind words.  Just remember that it's not the machine that lacks integrity. The integrity problem lies within those who operate the device and represent polygraphy as a reliable measure of truthfulness.    

Quite simply, polygraph procedure depends on the examiner lying to and deceiving the examinee.  Even the most ethical examiners must somehow rationalize this deception to themselves.

In addition to the procedure itself being deceptive, a substantial amount of polygraph examiner behavior outside of the "test" room calls integrity into question.  Some examples  include bogus claims of high 90th percentile accuracy, (unsupported) claims that countermeasures can easily be detected, and examiners conducting "tests" for agencies that use them as a sole determinant, despite statements from current and past American Polygraph Association presidents that polygraph results are not/should not be used in this manner.

Best of luck, and as the "test" nears, do not hesitate to ask further questions.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2001 at 9:26am by G Scalabr »  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pseudo Relevant
New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2001 at 5:55pm

Quote:

Just another polygraph examiner misleading the masses again. A great example showing why polygraph should be banned! Grin

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 9:07am
I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming Polygraph.  I also believe that you should only stick to the "anal squeeze" method and  only squeeze slightly at that. I really do not recommend distorting your breathing patterns as it is very easy for us to screw that up and set off little bells inside the examiners head leading him to believe that you are trying to use countermeasures.  Think of it this way when you LIE to someone do you really ever notice your breathing pattern change all that much, maybe just slightly?  I really don't, but I sure as heck do feel my heart Pump like its going to come out of my chest.   
*the most important thing you have to work on is distinguishing the control questions from the relevant and irrelevant.  Read that chapter over and over.
Once again good luck.
And Never ever ever make any admissions during the post test interview.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2001 at 3:46am
Ok, I have some more questions.  In my BI packet for the department I am in the process with has a list of questions that I had to answer.  In the instructions it stated that tese questions would be verified by the poly.  Some of the questions in there I could consider "control questions".  Some of them were broad, open ended, and would leave some doubt in my mind when asked.  Do they put control questions in the background questionnare?  Just curious.  I don't want these questions to throw me off thinking that they are "control questions" when theyt are really "relavent questions".  ALthough broad they do seem important.  Example would be......."Have you ever taken something from an employer worth $5.00 or more?"  Well, I have aquired things from an employer like paper, pens, and other small things.  And yes, these items add up to over $5.00.  So I am wondering if the Polygrapher will take this and say, "Other than what you have told me, have you........." COuld this be a control question?  Thanks again to all who replied.  I just want to make it through this damn thing......

IP Logged

New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2001 at 6:01pm

[quote author=anonymous link=board=Proc&num=997397432&start=0#8 date=08/15/01 at 20:46:02]
Do they put control questions in the background questionnare?  "Have you ever taken something from an employer worth $5.00 or more?"  Well, I have aquired things from an employer like paper, pens, and other small things.  And yes, these items add up to over $5.00.  So I am wondering if the Polygrapher will take this and say, "Other than what you have told me, have you........." COuld this be a control question?  

In the BI questionnaires I am familiar with, they don't purposely put "control" questions in. The questionnaire is used to provide you the opportunity to tell all there is to tell about yourself and any infractions you may have committed. The example question you listed: "Have you ever taken something from an employer worth $5.00 or more?" Does not suggest you combine the value of everything you have taken, but consider each item's value singularily and then only list those of five dollars or more. 

The second part of your question: So I am wondering if the Polygrapher will take this and say, "Other than what you have told me, have you........." COuld this be a control question?  In the format you listed, this is a relevant question. The polygrapher is trying to verify if you have been truthful about having listed all the items you have taken from an employer and are not holding anything back. (The polygrapher does this because he believes the technique actually works. Even though you and I don't believe it does, you have to play along. Use countermeasures as discussed in George and Gino's book, you'll do fine).  I hope this helps. Other opinions out there?

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2001 at 6:33pm
Pseudo Relevant,

My understanding of pre-polygraph questionnaires is that they do not recessarily include "control" questions per se, but that they can help the polygrapher in choosing which "control" questions to use.

Let's take the example Anonymous gave, "Have you ever taken something from an employer worth $5.00 or more?" If an applicant answers "yes" and admits to having stolen last month's payroll from the safe, then there's no need for a polygraph to begin with -- the applicant may be promptly disqualified. But suppose the applicant admits to having pilfered stationery supplies that together are worth about $5.00. This is not grounds for disqualifying the applicant. Yet the polygrapher might still use the probable-lie "control" question, "Other than what you stated in your pre-polygraph questionnaire, did you ever take anything of value from an employer?" While this question would be a "control" question in the context of scoring the polygraph chart, it would also be relevant in the sense that any additional admissions the applicant makes to the polygrapher could be taken as evidence of dishonesty in filling out the questionnaire, and thus serve as grounds for disqualification.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2001 at 6:34pm

[quote author=George Maschke 
My understanding of pre-polygraph questionnaires is that they do not recessarily include "control" questions per se, but that they can help the polygrapher in choosing which "control" questions to use.
[/quote]

George, you are correct. Anything the applicant provides during the background/hiring process prior to the polygraph can be material used to formulate control questions.

"Other than what you stated in your pre-polygraph questionnaire, did you ever take anything of value from an employer?" Your example is a relevant question, though a weak one. Control questions must be "time barred" in some manner and deal with a topic similar in nature, but diminished in intensity, to the issue to be asked in the relevant question. An example of the control might be "Prior to your 23rd birthday (applicant age 26) did you take anything of value from a place you worked without permission?" The relevant question above would be much stronger like this "Other than what you stated in your pre-polygraph questionnaire, did you ever steal anything from any of your employers?" This allegedly eliminates the possibility of more rationalization on the part of examinee. The word "steal" is much stronger as it evokes a greater emotional response.  Your thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2001 at 7:03am
Again, i thank you all for your help!  I have my poly date confirmed but will not post that date due to the obvious reasons.  I am still nervous about recognizing the control questions.   

Will the control questions be asked first usually or are they mixed into the relavent questions?  That would make it tough if they were mixed.  My brain would be going a zillion miles a minute.   

And all control questions are time barred right?  I don't mean to be a redundant pain in the but here  Grin  I will be sure to keep all of you posted.  Thanks

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2001 at 9:23am
Quote:

George, you are correct. Anything the applicant provides during the background/hiring process prior to the polygraph can be material used to formulate control questions.

"Other than what you stated in your pre-polygraph questionnaire, did you ever take anything of value from an employer?" Your example is a relevant question, though a weak one. Control questions must be "time barred" in some manner and deal with a topic similar in nature, but diminished in intensity, to the issue to be asked in the relevant question. An example of the control might be "Prior to your 23rd birthday (applicant age 26) did you take anything of value from a place you worked without permission?" The relevant question above would be much stronger like this "Other than what you stated in your pre-polygraph questionnaire, did you ever steal anything from any of your employers?" This allegedly eliminates the possibility of more rationalization on the part of examinee. The word "steal" is much stronger as it evokes a greater emotional response.  Your thoughts?

Pseudo Relevant,

My understanding of the rationale for the use of time bars is that they serve to logically separate the scope of a "control" question from that of the relevant question to which it is being compared. For example, if a 28-year-old subject is being administered a polygraph interrogation about a shooting death that occured in the past 24 hours, then for comparison purposes against the relevant question, "Did you shoot John?" the following "control" question might be used:

"During the first 27 years of your life, did you ever intentionally hurt  someone?"

The time bar "during the first 27 years of your life" serves to exclude the incident under investigation from the scope of the "control" question.

But in a screening context, there is no specific incident (known to have occured) under investigation, and the rationale for applying a time bar to "control" questions here is not clear to me. My understanding is that federal agencies generally do not apply time bars to "control" questions in polygraph screening.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2001 at 9:49am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2001 at 9:47am
Quote:

Again, i thank you all for your help!  I have my poly date confirmed but will not post that date due to the obvious reasons.  I am still nervous about recognizing the control questions.  

Will the control questions be asked first usually or are they mixed into the relavent questions?  That would make it tough if they were mixed.  My brain would be going a zillion miles a minute.  

And all control questions are time barred right?  I don't mean to be a redundant pain in the but here  Grin  I will be sure to keep all of you posted.  Thanks

All questions should be reviewed with you during the pre-test phase. It is possible that the polygrapher, in reviewing the questions with you, will present the "control" questions together, without mixing them with the relevant questions.

But when the questions are presented during the in-test phase, relevant, irrelevant, and "control" questions will be mixed.

"Control" questions will not necessarily be time-barred. There is no such simplistic method for recognizing them. If you intend to employ countermeasures, then you need to understand the rationale behind the "control" questions, and pick them out during the pre-test phase.

I suggest that you again review Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector carefully, and for further reading see David T. Lykken's book, A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector, (2nd ed., Plenum Trade, 1998) especially Chapter 8 (The Control Question Test).

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Upcoming poly and countermeasures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X