Normal Topic Should I take a polygraph test? (Read 4006 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sneezermont
New User

Should I take a polygraph test?
Jul 24th, 2001 at 9:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Undecided    Okay, this is the strangest thing to happen in my 19 year old life.  But, recently, I was accused of committing a crime of minor significance and with little evidence that is not at all concrete.   I was accused of vandalism.  Supposedly, a soda can was thrown at a house but didn't destroy anything.  The can is being printed.  I voluntarily answered questions fr the police when called and voluntarily gave my fingerprints when asked.  I figured I had to submit to this or I was going to look guilty.  I was neither arrested nor cited, but I was told that if the prints did not matched the can, then I would be called in to do a polygraph test.  My questions are: 1) Should I take this?  2) Does it make me look suspicious if I refuse the test?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Re: Should I take a polygraph test?
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2001 at 10:16am
if I were you I would certainly not take the polygraph, if you think you'll look guilty for not taking it, imagine what you'll look like if you lose the coinflip and fail the test, truthful or not. besides, if there was no damage done, what are you looking at? littering? You should definately read "the lie behind the lie detector", available on this forum, before even considering taking the polygraph.

8)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2001 at 10:36am
Sneezermont,

In answer to your questions:

1) Should I take this?

No! Absolutely not. The "test" is a pseudoscientific fraud and has an inherent bias against truthful persons.

2) Does it make me look suspicious if I refuse the test?

Quite possibly. But then, you are already a suspect!

I agree with wannabe who suggested you read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. You will be especially interested in Chapter 3, which exposes the fraudulent nature of polygraphy. If the police do call you in for a polygraph "test," when you politely but firmly refuse, you can refer them to this website, and let them know that you know "the lie behind the lie detector."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2001 at 6:03am
Sneeezermont,

I agree with George.  Under no circumstances should you submit to a polygraph test.

The fact is that if you "pass" the polygraph, there is no guarantee that suspicion will be removed.  And if you "fail," the results will be highly prejudicial.  Even if you tell the truth, how the "test" will turn out is a crap shoot due to the unreliability of the polygraph.  Most importantly, any agreement to be polygraphed by the police is an agreement to sit down with an expert interrogator, with no attorney present !  This is simply not an intelligent decision.

You are basically stuck between a rock and a hard place.  On one hand, you want to cooperate with the police and appear that you have nothing to hide.  On the other hand, it is absolutely not in your best interest to submit to this “test.”  You would be wise to choose the lesser of the two evils, which is to refuse this “test.” Once again, like George said, you are already a suspect.  Do not allow the police to circumvent your right to remain silent simply because they claim to have an imaginary device that can determine truth from deception that they claim will help clear you if you tell the truth is simply unwise.  I suggest simply once again stating that you had nothing to do with the incident.  If they actually arrest you, remain silent and get a laywer.  

You can take solace in two major facts.  First, you can bet that a vast majority of police officers themselves, if called by a family member in your situation requesting advice, would tell the person not submit to a police polygraph under any circumstances.  The same goes for competent defense attorneys.   Second, the polygraph is most often used in situations where the police have little to no evidence against a suspect (you) and thus have little chance of a successful prosecution without a confession.  

Like George said, tell the police that you know that the polygraph has never been proven by peer-reviewed scientific research to operate at better than chance levels of accuracy, and that you are refusing for this reason.  They may act like your refusal makes you “look guilty”—but in actuality, the police know that any rational person who knows the truth about the polygraph would make this decision.  Personally, I would rather choose the lesser evil and run the risk of “looking guilty” rather than chance having a false confession (which could later  be used in court) attributed to me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sneezermont
New User

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2001 at 6:58am
Oh my gosh, thank you guys  so much!  I have never been in trouble before- not even a traffic violation is on my record.  So, I've been quite worried about this, and the idea of the polygraph.  A friend of mine told me that the policeman telling me I "had" to take a polygraph test was mainly a psychological tactic on his part, so I would break and confess to something I didn't do anyway.  I downloaded the book on this website, and I feel very comforted from it and from all of your help!  Thanks a million!

IP Logged

Should I take a polygraph test?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X