Normal Topic credit probs (Read 5433 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe (Guest)

credit probs
Jul 21st, 2001 at 11:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
as an applicant I noticed a few questions on the background questionnaire concerning credit history, is this a strong determining factor? I've had a few credit probs and would hate for that to keep me from completing the application proccess. thanks in advance for any help

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: credit probs
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2001 at 2:57am

Wannabe wrote on Jul 21st, 2001 at 11:37pm:

as an applicant I noticed a few questions on the background questionnaire concerning credit history, is this a strong determining factor? I've had a few credit probs and would hate for that to keep me from completing the application proccess. thanks in advance for any help

Wannabe,

Credit history is part of your background that the investigator doesn't have to do much on(like the polygraph). Since the credit histories from Experion, Transunion, and Equifax spell out everything you have or have not paid.

If you have been delinquent on your bills and show poor credit handling skills, that will count against you. If you have cleared up all your past problems and you have A1 credit now, that will show maturity, which is a big issue to PD's

You should go to one of the credit bureau's websites and order a credit profile for yourself. It will set you back 8 dollars, but you will know what you have to explain regarding your credit history. 

Be on top of everything because if you can  explain why and do it thoroughly. If the investigator doesn't have to dig for answers, your chances of success are greater.

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2001 at 6:04am

Fred,

Thank you for your help. I don't have a terrible history, but in the past, with the help of my ex wife I do have a few issues to check in to. thanks again  Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pseudo Relevant
New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2001 at 12:05am

Wannabe wrote on Jul 22nd, 2001 at 6:04am:

I don't have a terrible history...

Uhhh... neither does Dan.   Shocked

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2001 at 12:45am
as I stated to begin with it's not so much the history, it's the manner in which he attempts to justify it, period. 
I bow to you oh mighty LE god, please forgive me for treading where ONLY such wise men as yourself have a right. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pseudo Relevant
New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2001 at 5:21pm

Wannabe wrote on Sep 8th, 2001 at 12:45am:

I bow to you oh mighty LE god, please forgive me for treading where ONLY such wise men as yourself have a right. Roll Eyes

Good of you to recognize your limitations. It's a step in the right direction.

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PigWannaBe2002
New User

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2002 at 11:32pm
Credit IS a strong determining factor, again, it always depends on the Dept.  I was denied, or "non-selected" specifically beacuse of past credit probs - I had no idea prior to applying to LE that they even look at credit.  It is now clean but I still have to wait for a couple Depts because the credit hits are too recent.  I had several charge offs, which most Depts automatically will NOT hire you with!  You have to pay them off and then give it time before they will look at you.  LAPD runs Trans Union right there in front of you, after the oral int., and then highlights any possible concerns, if there are any (charge offs) you have to pay those off before you can continue in the process.  Most others require you to provide a sealed Experian or Equifax report which is not as forgiving as Trans Union.  Question everything negative on your report, if they do not have documentation to verify it, they have to delete it.  Get some sample letters from Consumer Credit counseling etc. they are great...  Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PigWannaBe2002
New User

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2002 at 11:35pm
When I say "they" I mean the credit agencies, Trans Union, Experian, Equifax, NOT the LE Agency...

[quote author=PigWannaBe2002 link=board=police&num=995747854&start=0#6 date=08/29/02 at 16:32:53]"Question everything negative on your report, if they do not have documentation to verify it, they have to delete it.  "

IP Logged

credit probs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X