Normal Topic Send a Note to ABCNEWS.com (Read 16622 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Send a Note to ABCNEWS.com
Jul 12th, 2001 at 12:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In an 11 July 2001 article titled, "Search for Truth: Condit, Police Haggle Over Polygraph," ACBNEWS.com uncritically reported the comments of polygraphers Paul K. Minor and Ed Gelb:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/condit_lietest010711.html

Regarding the Washington, DC police request that Rep. Gary Condit submit to a polygraph, ABCNEWS.com quotes Ed Gelb as saying:

"If he knows nothing about it, he won't have any trouble [passing a polygraph] no matter what you ask," Gelb said."

Gelb cannot know this. By his own admission in the article, polygraphy is no more than 89% accurate. But even that level of accuracy is entirely unsupported by peer reviewed scientific research. Moreover, polygraphy has an inherent bias against the truthful, as many who frequent this message board have learned by personal experience.

Former FBI polygrapher Paul K. Minor also makes an untrue statement in the "Polygraph FAQ" at the end of the article. He says, "It's easier to beat [the polygraph] if you're real stupid. It's difficult for intelligent people because they can't control their thoughts. Generally, the more you try, the harder it gets to beat the test."

This is utter nonsense. The key to beating a polygraph test is to 1) recognize the difference between the relevant and the control questions (being stupid doesn't help) and 2) to subtly augment one's physiological responses when answering the control questions. This is described in detail in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

ABC News made the mistake of only speaking to people who rely on polygraphy for a living. You can help set them straight on polygraphy by sending a note (you might point them to AntiPolygraph.org) via their web-based feedback form at:

http://abcnews.go.com/service/help/abccontact.html

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Send a Note to ABCNEWS.com
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2001 at 3:07pm
I really hope that all of you reading these are sending those e-mails out.  I truly believe that if we all start doing something and not passing the buck we can get a big jump on revealing Polygraphy for the VooDoo science that it is.  I think all of us saw how much a few votes mattered this last election with that whole scandal in Florida.  Now imagine how many people said why should I be active and vote its not like my vote really matters only to find out how much a single vote really mattered in some of those counties.

All our e-mails matter, heck who knows it may just be your e-mail that makes them say "well heck we sure got a lot of e-mails about Polygraphs being a fraud maybe we should run a story on them"

Until that happens
Take care and get to typing and sending those e-mails out.

Dimas

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: Send a Note to ABCNEWS.com
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2001 at 4:44am
George,

This again is a fine example of hyperbole of a "high profile" story.  The Condit case has these "newhounds" examining only the side of the story they want to cover, not the complete issue. I was excited to hear just yesterday that Rep. Condit's lawyer was refusing to allow a polygraph test.  Today, I started getting nervous as they may actually SUBMIT to a polygraph and were having discussions over what questions were going to be asked.

Gino is correct when he stated that a polygraph is an interrogation "prop" that allows the police to "manufacture" a case against someone. You will read that Rep. Condit's polygraph "revealed" that he is not telling the truth about issues associated with Chandra Levy's disapperance etc. because that is the DESIRED outcome. Never mind that these revelations are useless in any court, however as a media tool and attention getter, LOCK, STOCK, and BARREL message delivered.

Everyone who associates or reads on this site, PLEASE GET YOUR E-MAILS to abc.com and to CNN.com and we can deliver the message of The Lie Behind The Lie Detector

Knowledge is power..... Educate yourself

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

Send a Note to ABCNEWS.com

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X