Normal Topic Enjoying the site (Read 3402 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Augster

Enjoying the site
Jul 11th, 2001 at 5:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi. I've just skimmed through the book (and plan on giving it a careful read). I don't actually have any need to take a polygraph now or any time in the future that I can foresee, but I am fascinated that the American public in general seems to unskeptically have been sold on the existence of a machine that can accurately and definitively detect whether someone is lying or not - and the whole thing is a farce! As a scam, it's beautiful! (Then again, so were the Salem witch hunts and the Holy Inquisition.) 

My (serious) question is: is there any conceivable legitimate use for polygraph technology whatsoever?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Enjoying the site
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2001 at 7:27am
I can't really vouch for a "legitimate" use in that I believe it truly is a violation of a persons rights ( I am refering to questions regarding personal issues, likes , dislikes, sexual practices/history, beliefs etc, things that are private and hurt no one, and are definitely no one else's business) I would like to see some of the senators on the Hill that support Polygraphs have to answer these questions.
However from a law enforcement perspective I can definitely tell you that the Poly and CVSA are excellent interrogation tools and that is the key word "interrogation" because it is the confessions you get before the test that are what make it work, yes it is a real useful tool for investigators that other wise wouldn't be able to solve a crime without a confession. The test itself is nothing but a fraud and calling it a science is an insult to all other sciences.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2001 at 7:28am
Quote:
is there any conceivable legitimate use for polygraph technology whatsoever?

Augster, the polygraph's only utility is as an interrogation prop for the questioning of naive and gullible subjects.  These individuals, fearing that the polygrapher can read their minds, often make admissions that they would not have otherwise made.  
This type of use, however, is fast fading as more and more people become aware of the trickery behind these flawed "tests."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2001 at 7:57am
Augster,

One conceivable legitimate use for polygraph technology is the Guilty Knowledge Test (GKT) developed by Dr. David T. Lykken. It is theoretically much sounder than the Control Question Test (CQT), which is the standby technique of the American polygraph community (and that to which dimas and Gino referred). You'll find the GKT briefly described at p. 63 of the 1st edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and more fully in Lykken's book, A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector.

The GKT is rarely used in the United States, however, as the CQT is easier to administer. In addition, the GKT is not amenable to screening applications.

The GKT, like the CQT, is vulnerable to countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Augster

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2001 at 5:27am
Thanks, everyone, for your input.

IP Logged

Enjoying the site

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X