Normal Topic question (Read 2094 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John (Guest)

question
Jul 10th, 2001 at 5:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was curious as to the following questions...

"Have you ever stole anything of value from past employers?" I'm assuming this is a control, but

"Have you stolen anything of value from your current employer? I guess this is a relevabt because its not vague as the former...am I seeing this accurately?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: question
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2001 at 9:27am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
"Have you ever stole anything of value from past employers?" I'm assuming this is a control, but

"Have you stolen anything of value from your current employer? I guess this is a relevant because its not vague as the former...am I seeing this accurately?

John, both of these are "control" questions.  The most important thing to look for in a control question is not vagueness (although I would argue that the 2nd question is still vague), but the fact that the polygrapher assumes that you will deny this question with a lie, or at least be less that 100% confident in your response.  Unless "value" is defined, this question technically includes paper clips, pens, etc.  In the minds of many examinees, it also covers taking a sick day when not actually ill (and thus "stealing" your pay for the day).  

Relevant questions on theft tend to include a large monetary value somewhere in the question (i.e. "Have you ever stolen anything worth more than $200?).  Here, deciding how to categorize the question requires a judgment call on your part.  You have to decide whether or not the polygrapher (and the agency) is assuming that all applicants have engaged in the activity in question.  Most agencies assume that every "desirable" applicant has stolen something from work (pens, etc), cheated in college, etc.  On the other hand, it is assumed that desirable applicants have not stolen something worth over $200.  

We are currently at work on the next edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.  Look for new information on recognizing control questions when it is released some time early in the fall.  Nonetheless, the key principle to remember is that you are looking for questions where the polygrapher (and the agency) are assuming that all applicants will respond with a less than truthful answer if the question is interpreted as strictly as possible.  A good idea is to first eliminate all of the irrelevant questions (these are easy to spot).  Then eliminate questions with regard to violation of the agency’s drug usage policy and those pertaining to intentionally falsifying the application, etc (guaranteed relevants).  This process of elimination narrows the field considerably.

IP Logged

question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X