Normal Topic The 2nd Edition (Read 9380 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

The 2nd Edition
Jul 5th, 2001 at 7:48am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George and I are in the process of setting out to write the second edition of our free online book The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.  In order to do the best possible job, we are actively soliciting suggestions from those who participate in these forums.  

Some of the things we are already planning to include are:
  • More polygraph formats (ZCT, MGQT)
  • Better Information on Recognizing Control Questions
  • CVSA
  • Interrogation tactics and physical behavior of "truthful" people

If any sections of the book are unclear, or there are additional things that you would like to see included, please post them here on this thread.

Furthermore, we are also looking into the possibility of having the book professionally published (we recognize that it can be quite unwieldy on a computer screen).  Under no circumstances will we enter into an agreement with a publisher that does not allow us to continue to give away the full version of the book for free on this site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John (Guest)

Re: The 2nd Edition
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2001 at 3:14am
I have a question for you Gino.  Are you a disgruntled ex-polygrapher trying to make a living?  Be careful when you answer this question because I will be able to detect a lie.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2001 at 3:58am

John wrote on Jul 21st, 2001 at 3:14am:
Are you a disgruntled ex-polygrapher trying to make a living?  Be careful when you answer this question because I will be able to detect a lie.

John,

Can you answer the same question?

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Roy

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2001 at 5:22am
are you interested in the actual questions asked? I am an applicant and could provide (as nowhere in the paperwork have I found it stating not to) the "personal history statement" ie the questions asked and then verified by poly. Let me know as there are 130 questions and I am not THAT fond of typing Shocked)

cheechako_99@excite.com

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2001 at 7:42am
Roy,

Thank you for your offer of  assistance. The questions in your personal history statement would indeed be useful as an appendix to the next edition. But there is no need for you to type them all. I'll be doing the typesetting for the book. If could mail me a copy of the questions, I'll take care of the typing. My mailing address (I work overseas) is:

G.W. Maschke
Hart Nibbrigkade 22
2597 XV Den Haag
Netherlands

If you have a scanner, you could also send me scanned images of the document as an e-mail attachment. My e-mail address is maschke@antipolygraph.org.

For reference purposes, could you also let me know which department is using these particular questions?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2001 at 8:30am
John wrote on Jul 21st, 2001 at 3:14am:
I have a question for you Gino.  Are you a disgruntled ex-polygrapher trying to make a living?  Be careful when you answer this question because I will be able to detect a lie.

John,

Neither Gino nor I have ever been polygraphers. I'm not sure what you meant in your note to Gino about "trying to make a living," but please note that we have neither requested nor received any payment in cash or in kind for The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. It's free.

If you have any serious suggestions for changes in the book, please let us know.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 2win
New User

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2001 at 3:37am
This is my first visit to this site and your book topic interested me.  I am gravely concerned over a retarded special needs young adult who had sex at 13 with another higher functioning female who was 15 and yet he has been deemed the sex offender.  Now he is 17 and failing his polygraphs.  How can I help his mother?  Do you address this type of violation of a person using polygraphs in your book.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2001 at 8:29am
2win,

The Lie Behind the Lie Detector does not specifically address the post-conviction polygraph "testing" of sex offenders, as the policy issue we wrote the book to address is polygraphy in the workplace. Nonetheless, you'll find much information of interest in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Chapter 1, which addresses the scientific status of polygraphy and Chapter 3, which exposes the trickery on which the "test" actually depends, will be of special interest.

This message board is also open for discussion of all aspects of polygraph policy, and the boy's mother is welcome to initiate a discussion of her son's situation here.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 2:15pm
George & Gino,

You claim there is no credible scientific proof that the polygraph works better than flipping a coin.  This calls for an extended discussion.  In looking over the headings on your bulletin board, I don't find any that seem to relate to this topic.  Where should this topic be discussed?

Peace.

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2001 at 4:45pm
Gordon,

The Polygraph Procedure forum would be suitable for discussion of polygraph validity.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box when

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2002 at 3:26am
When do forsee this 2nd addition to be available? Hopefully before Dec/Jan of next year. If not, is it possible to get a rough draft at some point?

Don't forget to go into the relevant/irrelevant format in detail. It is out there and will be the format of my poly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2002 at 4:08am
Expect the 2nd edition to be available for download on this site within two weeks. We are in the final stages of proofreading right now. The Relevant/Irrelevant format is indeed covered in detail.

IP Logged

The 2nd Edition

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X