Normal Topic Polygraphs and misdemeanor probation (Read 6673 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antiman
New User

Polygraphs and misdemeanor probation
Jun 29th, 2001 at 6:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sad  I have been placed on probation for a year for a minor misdemeanor offense. I was shocked to find that they insist on "maintenance polygraphs" in the state of Texas and while we all know that polygraphs aren't really admissable in court anymore, I fail to understand why it is that they insist that probationers take polygraph exams.  My examination took place several weeks ago and  I employed countermeasures along with my permanent mindset that  polygraphy is b/s, I was amazed that the ploygrapher played so dumb when questioned. Anyway, I employed the countermeasures of controlled breathing and tightening the anal sphincter and the chart lines were even and consistent all the way across with no jumps but the polygrapher didn't say I passed or failed, he just said, "well, you didn't do so well."  Aside from the fact that I had a toothache at the time and had had very little sleep the night before and informed the polygrapher of this at the time, he proceeded anyway saying that he'd take that into  consideration.  The test proceeded and my chart lines were even and consistent all the way across. Neither my probation officer nor therapist I'm required to see had recieved the "results" in a timely manner nor have I ever seen any of those scored results myself.  Am I to assume that the results were inconclusive? OR Do they just take the word of the examiner as to pass or fail without producing the actual chart and scores?  I remain dazed and confused with all this and MUST take two more examinations before my probation expires next year, one of which I shall have to pay for. What happens if I refuse to take the examination, especially if it is one I'm forced to pay for despite the fact that I'm hurting financially anyway?

The other thing is that during the examination, while employing countermeasures, I could see that the polygrapher was shaking is head a couple of times and pumped up the arm cuff tighter.  Again, am I to assume that even though there were no chart line jumps and the entire chart lines were even an consistent all the way across, that it was really inconclusive or that the polygrapher, aside from being a true liar himself, is really the deceptive one to my probation officer and therapist?  Can anyone  provide any useful feedback regarding this ongoing ordeal?
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2001 at 6:39am by antiman »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Re: Polygraphs and misdemeanor probation
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2001 at 7:14pm
antiman,

Your post has been edited for ease of reading: the hard returns you had placed at the end of each line were removed. No other change has been made.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2001 at 10:06pm
It is impossible to say, based on the account you provided, whether your polygrapher scored your polygraph chart as "deception indicated," "no deception indicated," or "inconclusive." However, if you did not receive a post-test interrogation, then it seems likely that you either passed or that your results were at worst deemed inconclusive.

Some of the things you stated in your account strike me as odd. To begin with, you wrote:

Quote:
...I was amazed that the ploygrapher played to dumb when questioned about the  difference between "relevant" and "control" questions.

Did you actually ask your polygrapher about the difference between relevant and "control" questions? Unless one is planning on using the complete honesty approach outlined in Chapter 4 of [url]The Lie Behind the Lie Detector[/url], it is highly unwise to ask such a question of one's polygrapher. It immediately alerts the polygrapher to the fact that one knows more than he/she would like one to know about polygraphy, and will put the polygrapher on heightened alert for countermeasures attempts.

You also wrote:

Quote:
...the chart lines were even and consistent all the way across with no jumps...

It seems unusual that your polygrapher showed you your complete charts so that you could make this observation. To be effective, polygraph countermeasures must produce augmented physiological responses to the "control" questions. What specific countermeasure(s) did you employ?

I do not know what the legal ramifications would be if you were to refuse the remaining two polygraph interrogations to which you are required to submit during the period of your probation. I suspect that the cost(s) of refusal (whether in cash or in kind) would be greater than the polygrapher's fee. You might want to check with a lawyer on this point.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2001 at 12:02pm
If you did happen to mention that you "know" the workings of the Poly, it is very likely the examiner was looking for the counter measures.  You also mention that you used both the breathing and the "anal squeeze" technique which I can personally tell you is a bad combination.  Drastic changes in the breathing pattern are usually the #1 thing that tips off the examiner as to the use of counter measures.   Then again from my experience simply saying you know anything about the Poly can almost guarantee they will accuse you of cheating.

As to the other question about refusal, the terms of your probation should be stipulated on a court document given by the judge who handled the case (You can't hang out with so and so, you are to do so many hours of community service, you are to meet with your P.O. this many times etc etc etc).  If it is court ordered and you refuse, they will probably charge you with violation of probation, however if it is not ordered by a judge, I find it hard to believe the State of Texas(probation department actually handling your case)will enforce it or if they even can.
If you can email me with the following info:
County in which the probation is being enforced. (must be a pretty rich county to actually pay for 2 of the 3 tests)
If it was federal or state court that found you guilty.
With this info I may be able to help you on that issue.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2001 at 12:39pm
dimas,

You wrote in part:
Quote:
You also mention that you used both the breathing and the "anal squeeze" technique which I can personally tell you is a bad combination.  Drastic changes in the breathing pattern are usually the #1 thing that tips off the examiner as to the use of counter measures.

Could you explain how you reached this conclusion?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Braden

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 11:40pm
@ dimas

caribou county idaho 
its drug court in caribou county they want my friend to take a polygraph test and im wondering if she can refuse the test or not... any help with this is greatly appreciated. thanks Braden@ dimas

@ dimas

IP Logged

Polygraphs and misdemeanor probation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X