Normal Topic Update to "Let the witchhunt begin" part III (Read 3249 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfraud
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Update to "Let the witchhunt begin" part III
Jun 9th, 2001 at 1:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If you guys don't remember, I had a long thread that updated my polytest results for a large metropolitan southern CA police department. My first test, did not go that well and it came up inconclusive. I recently took my second test and..

PASSED!

This most recent test was exactly like the one I took before it in every way down to the things the poly examiner said to me. I know they must memorize their little speech from a booklet since he repeated the exact SAME dialogue that the first poly examiner did. Like the first examine, this person was pretty friendly as well and didn't try the "stress" tactics i've heard about. 

I did what you guys told me to do and deployed countermeasures during the control questions with appropriate physiological responses. This time however I did NOT countermeasure the irrelevant questions. I think that was my biggest mistake last time and the reason why my whole test came up as inconclusive. Anyhow, they worked like a charm and if anything i'm living proof on how B.S. the whole polygraph test is. It's a sham and I do not even want to know how many people were accused of lying and given a false positive that tested before me. Oh by the way, the ONLY reason I did this was not because i'm a liar but because i've heard so many horror stories of false positives. I made sure to prepare myself before beginning polygraph testing and it has paid off.

There are also some important psychological things that should also accompany anyone preparing to go through a polygraph test..

1) Always go in with a calm smooth demeanor.. I noticed both times that I went this was very important. Be as passive as possible, do not confront the polygraph examiner in any way.

2) When actually taking the test try not to focus on the details of the question. This will only get yourself worked up and might even produce a false positive. Think of the questions as meaningless when you answer until you want to augment the appropriate control questions with your own physical responses.

3) NEVER ever tell the poly examiner you know anything about countermeasures for defeating the test. I was asked this TWICE each time by the examiner and I played dumb..it felt too much like he was probing for a reason to DQ me right then and there.

4) Some people discourage this, but try to be friendly to the poly examiner. The poly examiner still determines your fate as an applicant, even though you know the whole ordeal is a long song and dance you still have to play poker to win. 

Anyways, I hope this helps soon to be applicants on their own test.. I think as many have already stated that this test is ultimately detrimental to the law enforcement profession rather than beneficial. This test my be unfairly penalizing law abiding honest applicants and further shrinking the eligible recruit pool of talented people. 

Comments are certainly welcome.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: Update to "Let the witchhunt begin" part III
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2001 at 10:29pm
Polyfraud,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 

Along with Melvin and Nate another triumph.

Its good to hear success stories

Good Luck in your Career

Fred F.

Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate
User

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2001 at 4:57pm
1) Always go in with a calm smooth demeanor.. I noticed both times that I went this was very important. Be as passive as possible, do not confront the polygraph examiner in any way.

NATE: I think the first time it's expected to be nervous, but after the first one this could look suspicious to the examiner.  I did exactly what you did on my last exam, kept my cool and looked confident. 

2) When actually taking the test try not to focus on the details of the question. This will only get yourself worked up and might even produce a false positive. Think of the questions as meaningless when you answer until you want to augment the appropriate control questions with your own physical responses.

NATE: I read that "intelligent" people have problems with this and false positives because like you said they look into the question more.  An intelligent person will be looking at the question from all different angles and are more likely to show a response to a question than from the dumb jock that hears "blah blah blah".

3) NEVER ever tell the poly examiner you know anything about countermeasures for defeating the test. I was asked this TWICE each time by the examiner and I played dumb..it felt too much like he was probing for a reason to DQ me right then and there.

NATE: I told the examiner everything that I knew but I did play "dumb" on when asked if I knew about countermeasures.  I said "I heard you can use a tack in your shoe but that's it".  I think took off my shoe and laughed.  I thought if I told him I knew about them he would think "he studied on how to beat the polygraph so I bet he will employ them". I “did not" use countermeasures but respect anyone that does because of the reasons you pointed out.

4) Some people discourage this, but try to be friendly to the poly examiner. The poly examiner still determines your fate as an applicant, even though you know the whole ordeal is a long song and dance you still have to play poker to win. 

NATE: I agree 100%.  In my opinion, they have the power on whether they think you will be a good police officer or not.  Acting like you have no social skills or are rude, could tell the examiner you might not be qualified and fail you.  I was told by an examiner that knew my first examiner, and that he does this all the time. He said this was the reason why he got into polygraph.   

“In order to be a champion you must do what the champion does!”
             -Dr. Jackson, Wichita State University-
Wink

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods" &&&&-Albert Einstein &&
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anon
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2001 at 3:09am
dear nate:

thanks for your comments. I am sincerely happy that
(finally!) some one with a good heart (and soul) finally
got in. 
but i feel that i must address the first of your four comments
"1) Always go in with a calm smooth demeanor.."
I think that it is fair and sound advice - however it
can be hard if not impossible to be calm when our fate and
our future lies in someone else's hands. Someone else -
who is a stranger - and who we just met. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate
User

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2001 at 3:45pm
Dear Anon, "Life is but a stage....."

8)

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods" &&&&-Albert Einstein &&
IP Logged

Update to "Let the witchhunt begin" part III

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X