Normal Topic Poly'd duo allegedly lure officer into deathtrap (Read 2284 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Poly'd duo allegedly lure officer into deathtrap
Jun 6th, 2001 at 10:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In a story entitled "The Border Monsters," Time magazine writers Tim Padgett and Elaine Shannon describe yet another failure of polygraph screening.  

Quote:
Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo sent an earnest young police reformer, José (Pepe) Patiño, to help clean up Tijuana's corrupt police force. 
For his safety, Patiño lived in San Diego. But in April 2000, two Mexican federal police comandantes — who had been polygraphed, vetted and trained by the U.S. to serve in a "clean" new antidrug unit — allegedly lured Patiño and two aides into a trap in Tijuana. Patiño's head was crushed in a pneumatic press, agents say, and the mutilated bodies were found in a ditch the next day. (One of the crooked comandantes has been arrested; the other is still a fugitive.)

In addition to branding some of the most truthful individuals as liars, the polygraph often serves to deflect suspicion away from deceptive individuals who can easily defeat such "tests."  Once wonders what the odds for both of these individuals passing were if the polygraph's community's figures on reliability are to be believed.  If any corners were cut on a traditional vetting techniques because these individuals "passed" their polygraphs, José (Pepe) Patiño's blood may be on someone's hands.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Reminiscent of movie "Traffic"
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2001 at 12:22am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The situation described has clear parallels with depictions in the movie Traffic, released some months ago. In the movie, a mexican drug trafficer turned good, hands himself over to US authorities to bring down his drug boss in Mexico.

This drug trafficer is shown being given a polygraph in the movie. After the polygraph, the examiners are shown looking at each other nodding in approval. I found this scene so repulsive and antithetical to reality I almost vomitted in disgust. Had this really happened, this guy would have been interrogated hostilely for hours, despite a "truthful chart". The rest of the movie shows the drug boss being taken down

As for the poor officer who was killed in reality, we all know the polygraph community is going to come up with some explanation. I'm really looking forward to a year from now, when NAS announces (hopefully by then) its results. A major wakeup is coming.

IP Logged

Poly'd duo allegedly lure officer into deathtrap

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X