Normal Topic Update on my situation and hope for others.. (Read 7855 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MELVIN
New User

Update on my situation and hope for others..
May 21st, 2001 at 6:10pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was initially rejected due to my interrogation that came along with my polygraph. My examiner misconstrued several things. I appealed and challenged their rejection. I went in front of another board and explained the situation I was rejected for in detailed description. And I won my appeal. I start the academy in early June!! So, there is hope for people who have trouble with polygraphs. I had to take 2 and they both came up inconclusive. but I made it any way. Just don't give up!! My experience has been very stressful. But I wanted this badly, so I fought for it!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: Update on my situation and hope for others..
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2001 at 2:36am
Melvin,

CONGRATULATIONS  Grin 

It is good to know that someone has been successful in challenging a bad polygraph experience. 

Good Luck in your Law Enforcement career

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate
User

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2001 at 5:20pm
Melvin that's great!  It shows your dedication and also your honesty will prevail in the end.  I kind of took the same approach.  I didn't let a false positive stop me. I wrote letters, reapplied, and applied for the other police departments.  The way I look at it, if someone really did lie on the polygraph exam and got caught, why would apply again knowing that they will fail again unless they were in fact telling the truth.  This would make sense in your case to the police department (I would assume).  Even though I have had a previous false positive on a different police department, I passed my third exam and I am getting ready for the academy in July (as long as they don’t pull some BS on me on the last second).

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods" &&&&-Albert Einstein &&
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MELVIN
New User

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2001 at 5:37pm
Nate, Congratulations to you and good luck in the academy. I was following your situation on your posts. Once you are accepted I don't think there is anything they can do.. well I take that back. I know someone on the first day of their academy, they were called out because after they were accepted etc... they got their D.L. suspended for no insurance, but had driving privilages for work purposes. They dismissed him, he appealed got an attorney, got a letter from the Deputy of Registrar of Motor Vehicles etc.. and they said nope, sorry. But eventually he kept fighitng and won... They have since changed the wording in their hiring process pertaining to the valid driver license. He has been an officer for almost 3 years now but should have been in the class he was initially in. Since he wasn't he had to wait 2- 3 years before another class started for him to get on. But.... I wouldn't worry. I know how you feel though, going through everything we have in our process to get on a department,it kind of makes you feel paranoid. Again good luck!! Let me know how the academy is going once you get started.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BUSE1
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2001 at 5:52pm
Its great to hear happy endings after a long hard process. I wish you both the best in the academy and in the years to come. Hopefully I'll be right there in a couple of months. I still have a ways to go.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2001 at 2:51am

Melvin,

Never say never. I heard from a police officer friend whose brother went through the entire LAPD academy only to get bounced on the last day because of a vindictive ex girlfriend who called his background investigator and told them that he had hit her on several occasions. So beware of jealous and misguided people from your past

GOOD LUCK AGAIN  Grin

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box let (Guest)

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2001 at 8:20am
to melvin

hi, im going though the same thing my self but i was told that there is no appeal process, can you tell me with your situation is with LAPD? if you like e-mail me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Zoot

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2001 at 5:44pm
I need some advice,  I have been a Police Officer for the past 10 years.  I have taken three polygraph tests and passed all.  I decided to try a Police Dept. out West and when I got to the poly, the polygrapher said that I had a reaction to the Drug question.  I informed him that the last time I smoked Marijuana was in 1983,(one of three times in my life).  Immediately after this test, he set me up for another one, about one hour later.  During this test, he asked questions  about all types of drugs.  This lasted about two hours.  When we were finished, he said that the test was inconclusive, and I would have to come back in a year to take the whole process again.  Well, I was crushed, I could not believe it.  Because of this,  I did a lot of research on the Polygraph, thanks to this site, and reading the book, I am prepared to do it again at another Dept. My question is, after telling them that I was inconclusive on a prior test, will that give them something to shoot for, to try to see if they can find the same thing that the previous polygrapher found?  I have seriously thought about not putting any information about that polygraph on my application, but I don't want that on my mind.  All I know is that the next time I go for one of these things, I'll know to be ready for them.  Keep up the good work.  Zoot.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2001 at 7:57pm
Quote:
My question is, after telling them that I was inconclusive on a prior test, will that give them something to shoot for, to try to see if they can find the same thing that the previous polygrapher found?  

Zoot, it is no coincidence that polygraphers always ask if you have been polygraphed before at the start of these "tests."  This allows an unscrupulous examiner to manipulate the "test" to return the same outcome as previous ones.  After all, having two different results on a "test" for the same issue would be a tacit admission that the process is a fraud.  Therefore, many polygraphers often "look out" for their colleagues--especially if you are re-polygraphed by another polygrapher employed by the same department.

Finally, those who "fail" a polygraph and "pass" a re-test are quite often arbitrarily accused of employing countermeasures.

You are in a better situation than most because you have passed three tests and had one return inconclusive.  The odds are on your side.  

Only you can make the choice on whether or not to disclose the "inconclusive" one.  As a police officer, you would be in a better position to know if the department you are applying to may eventually find it.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate
User

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2001 at 10:47pm
I once said that I never lied too an examiner but I did lie on that.  When asked, "have you ever taken a polygraph test".  I replied "yes for the ..... Police Department and I passed".  This was the truth but what I didn't tell them was that I failed one after that.  I couldn't help but think what Gino said was true.  And wouldn't you believe it, I passed my third test!!!

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods" &&&&-Albert Einstein &&
IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2001 at 2:51am
Zoot

Your situation is really testimant to the lie behind the lie detector. I have to agree with Gino's comments because I believe that when you disclose previous polygraphs, especially when "inconclusive" or "deceptive" results occur, that unscrupulous examiners will predetermine the "outcome".

However as you know, if you told the polygrapher you never took that poly and the backgrounder discovers it, well you are aware of the circumstances.

You have seen the light Zoot, so go ahead and take another poly and pass it. Knowledge is power and you have educated yourself to the fraud that is a polygraph.  If Nate and Melvin can do it, so can you!

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Update on my situation and hope for others..

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X