Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LAPD Polygraph (Read 58123 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: LAPD Polygraph
Reply #15 - Jun 14th, 2001 at 11:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
AMM,

You wrote in part, "Anyway, according to the head of Public Safety, the current polygraph failure rate for LAPD candidates is 68%..."

Could you tell me who the head of public safety is who said this, and in what context? I think it would be productive to document the LAPD applicant polygraph failure rate, and to publicize it.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AMM (Guest)

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2001 at 7:17pm
George,

Sure, the head of Public Safety Employment Division is Phyllis Lynes (213)847-9717.  I've had several conversations with her in which I tried to explain that the City's over reliance on the polygraph will certainly cause problems.  Specifically, false positives and more importantly false negatives.  She was amazingly uninformed (but then, so was I before my polygraph "failure").  I asked if she believed the polygraph was infallible since the City's polygraph policy doesn't allow for an appeal or independent polygraph, but she just repeated the party line that they're a very useful investigative tool. 

I also told her that my examiner made a de facto admission that the polygraph could be beaten; he asked me if I'd researched how to defeat the polygraph on the interent. (I hadn't.)  I didn't realize it until later, but the only reason he would ask the question was if he was worried about the use of countermeasures.  I asked her if she believed the City could catch everyone using countermeasures and she said "yes."

I reviewed the notes of our conversation and I will have to ammend the figures from my last post.  She said that approximately 66% of applicants are disqualified in the background investigation phase.  From those that are left, over 50% who take the poly fail.  Seems pretty high, doesn't it?  She told me that she believed all those who failed were most certainly liars!  This figure seems to match one I received from my background investigator.  He mentioned that less than 40% are passing.

I also mentioned that it's only a matter of time before a lawsuit is filed.  The fact that an appeals process doesn't exist means the Civil Service Commission and Personnel Department believes the poly is 100% accurate.  (Remember the Police Department only handles the background investigations, Civil Servants actually do the hiring.  This goes back to the 30's when corrupt cops were hiring their corrupt friends.)  

As I mentioned before, anyone who's wrongly been accused of lying should start writing letters to the City Council.  Write Public Safety, Personnel (the General Manager's name is Margaret Whelan) and the Civil Service Commission. Follow up with phone calls.  The City Council committee assignments will be changed on July 1.  After that find out which members are assigned to the Public Safety Committe, Personnel Committee and the Ad Hoc Committee for Police Reform.  Each committee meets regularly and has a public comments period.

If anyone has any other questions, I'd be more than happy to share my experiences.

AMM

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2001 at 8:40pm
AMM,

Yes, a pre-employment polygraph failure rate of over 50% seems quite high. I called Phyllis Lynes to confirm, but got her voice mail and left a short message. I'll call again and will make sure that she is informed about "the lie behind the lie detector." If she chooses to cling to the party line and maintain that those who fail must be liars and any countermeasures attempts will be detected, she will not be able to claim she was never warned.

Regarding the following:
Quote:
As I mentioned before, anyone who's wrongly been accused of lying should start writing letters to the City Council.  Write Public Safety, Personnel (the General Manager's name is Margaret Whelan) and the Civil Service Commission. Follow up with phone calls.  The City Council committee assignments will be changed on July 1.  After that find out which members are assigned to the Public Safety Committe, Personnel Committee and the Ad Hoc Committee for Police Reform.  Each committee meets regularly and has a public comments period.

Could you post a note (perhaps to the California Polygraph Reform Initiative forum?) with the relevant addresses and phone numbers?

In addition, if you (or anyone else) would care to write a detailed statement about your experience with the LAPD polygraph program (you mentioned, for example, that your polygrapher was a "real jerk" -- you may wish to elaborate) for inclusion on the AntiPolygraph.org Personal Statements page, please send a note to info@antipolygraph.org.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2001 at 12:45am
George,

Glad you called her.  She may have to change her number.  In one of our conversations I tried to get the same information across.  She's just as naive as I was. I asked her what she thought the pass rate would be if they went back and poly'd all the recruits for the past few years.  She admitted a 50% failure rate applied in that manner was indeed a scary thought.

I will put together a listing of all the addresses I have and post them later.  For anyone who recently failed, you can contact individual City Councilmembers via email as well.  The City of LA has a website that can link you directly. 

If anyone else has been caught up in this mess, please post your story.  Regardless of my background appeal's outcome, I plan to continue writing letters demanding protection from polygraphs for all government applicants.

Part of the problem is they recently instituted this program and are just starting to see the unintended consequences: false positives.  Like other agencies however, they believe that since they get confessions/admissions from people, it MUST be working.  I was told by an assistant to the Civil Service Commission that the Commissioners attended some demo polygraphs and were confident in them.  I'm sure that they were never presented with information that would call the polygraphs validilty into question.  Likewise, I'm sure the examiners were all very nice during the demo's.  My examiner's first question during our pre-test interview was: "When was the last time you were arrested?"  He followed that up with: "If you had to write a check for everything you've stolen, how much would that amount be?" I couldn't believe it!  He was acting like I was a criminal from the get-go.

Hope to see some more posts from other victims; I know you're out there.

AMM

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2001 at 2:52am
AMM,

You are to be commended for your research into the LAPD polygraph fallacy.  If George confirms the numbers that is truly astonishing. You should also notice that the LA County Sheriff did 5000 polys in 1999 and hired only 1700 people. That is saying more than half the people that take the polygraph, which is the major hurdle to their investigations, do not pass.

Keep up your efforts to appeal, If you have some good contacts left in the military, see if they will assist you in your efforts. Also remember to download "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector" and get more information and knowledge of what has happened.

Remember, There are people on this board who have passed after failing(Nate)and also who have won on appeals(Melvin). Lets hope you also become a success story

Good Luck

Fred F.

Wink

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2001 at 12:52pm
I called Phyllis Lynes a second time on Friday, 15 June, to follow up on the message I had earlier left for her, but I again got her answering machine. I left her a new message informing her about the existence of this website and recommending that she download and read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2001 at 1:30pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Further Thoughts
Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2001 at 4:20pm
AMM, Fred F., et al.

It seems that both LAPD and LASD are arbitrarily and capriciously accusing a high percentage of applicants of deception based on pseudoscientific polygraph "tests," maintaining public records to that effect, and denying those accused of due process. This must end. While I've been focusing my efforts toward reform at the federal and state levels, I think effective action at the city and county levels can be taken, and would like to share some ideas in this regard:

• LAPD and LASD polygraph policies need to be made public. I haven't been able to find these policies spelled out in writing. Under the California Public Records Act (CPRA), this information should be obtainable. Details on the CPRA are available here:

http://www.thefirstamendment.org/pra.html

AMM, do you think you could obtain the LAPD's written polygraph policy/guidelines? Fred F., could you request the same for LASD?
  • We need to educate our city and county representatives about polygraphy and to enlist their support for its abolishment. In March 2000, after the Board of Inquiry into the Rampart Area Corruption Incident came out with its public report recommending that pre-employment (and some post-employment) polygraph screening be adopted, I e-mailed/faxed Mayor Riordan, City Attorney Hahn, the board of police commissioners, and each member of the City Council about polygraphy, alerting them to its lack of validity and the ready availability of effective countermeasures. Apart from an automated reply from one city council member, I received no response. E-mail seems to be an ineffective way of getting one's message across to public officials. A traditional letter delivered by the U.S. Postal Service would be preferable. An even better approach, I think, would be to call your representative's office to schedule an appointment for a face-to-face meeting to discuss polygraph policy.

Contact information for L.A. City Council members is available on the Council's website at:

http://citycouncil.cityofla.org

Contact information for the members of the L.A. County Board of Supervisors is available on the Board's website at:

http://bos.co.la.ca.us
  • It would be useful to compile and make public a list of the names of the polygraphers who are administering pre-employment polygraph examinations for LAPD and LASD, and to document any allegations of abuse/misconduct.
  • It would be useful to compile and make public a list of the specific questions (relevant, "control," and irrelevant) that LAPD and LASD are asking applicants.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Question on consent/waiver forms
Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2001 at 11:07pm
AMM, Fred F., and anyone else who may know,

Were you asked/instructed/pressured to sign a consent and/or waiver form before your pre-employment polygraph exams with either LAPD or LASD (as the case may be)? It would indeed be incongruous if an agency with so much faith in the infallibility of polygraph screening that it provides no appeal process for those accused of deception would also demand that those submitting to polygraphic interrogation sign some kind of waiver of rights.

If LAPD and/or LASD are using such forms, I think it would be useful for us to obtain copies under the California Public Records Act and to make them publicly available here, too.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: Question on consent/waiver forms
Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2001 at 3:20am

Quote:

AMM, Fred F., and anyone else who may know,

Were you asked/instructed/pressured to sign a consent and/or waiver form before your pre-employment polygraph exams with either LAPD or LASD (as the case may be)? It would indeed be incongruous if an agency with so much faith in the infallibility of polygraph screening that it provides no appeal process for those accused of deception would also demand that those submitting to polygraphic interrogation sign some kind of waiver of rights.

George,

This is what I believe is the leverage the LASD polygraphers have. When an applicant goes to the prepoly paperwork shuffle the first form given to you is a release of liability. The LASD uses deputies to do their polys.

They tell you that this is to protect them from you seeking retribution against LASD and them personally if you aren't happy with your results. This is the carte blanche that they have to do what they want and and you basically cannot take action against them.

The LASD polygraph is a crap-shoot at best. Your fate depends on the mood of the examiner and how they decide to interpret the "results"

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jun 18th, 2001 at 8:47pm
George & Fred,

I tried to get their (LAPD) policy in writing early on in my letter writing campaign, but didn't have any luck.  I asked my background investigator and his supervisor what the policy was and they didn't have a clue.  This isn't really surprising given the recent institution of polygraphs.  

Yes, I was asked/forced to sign a waiver.  I truthfully don't remember much of the text.  However, the polygrapher did mention that he couldn't proceed with the test unless I signed it.  

In addition to the City Council, I would also advise anyone caught up in a similar situation with the LAPD to write a letter to the Civil Service Commission.  They have a web site:www.lacity.org/PER/Civil.htm and their phone number is 213-847-9107.  Currently, the president of the Commission is Ms. Sharon Schuster.  All the Commisioners are private citizens so don't expect to speak with them directly.  The Civil Service Commission is the entity that approved pre-employment polygraph screening back in January.  I would assume they will be the ones that have to be persuaded to modify or end the policy.

I have had some response from several Councilmember deputies, but I would rather not discuss it until my appeal is processed.  I would hate for anyone to discover my identity during such a sensitive time.  This may sound like I don't have any balls, but you can't be too careful when your future is on the line.

Regardless of the outcome though, I will try my best to provide you with as much information as I can assemble.  Keep up the good work gentlemen.

AMM

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #25 - Jun 18th, 2001 at 10:33pm
AMM, Fred F., et al.,

I think it would be best to start new message threads on actions we can take regarding LAPD and LASD polygraph policies under the California Polygraph Reform Initiative forum, as our disussion moving well beyond personal polygraph experiences. Please see the new message thread:

LAPD Polygraph Screening -- Let's End It
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2001 at 11:43pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfraud
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #26 - Jul 18th, 2001 at 7:40am
Dzalez read about my polygraph saga under "let the witchhunt begin" in another section of the forums. I took a polygraph for a major metropolitan southern californian police force as well. Unfortunately your situation is not unique..this is the kind of junk science they are using these days to filter out recruits. I will be brutually honest..you are going to have a very difficult time appealing your failed poly. I've learned that the law enforcement bureaucracy treats the poly like it's infallible proof. A lot of recruits 50-60% have totally failed their poly with LAPD..i'm not sure what the failure rate is with other CA departments but it has to be pretty high as well. Anything that has to do with the poly is pretty arbitrary and subjective on the polygrapher's "whim"
All I can tell you is to reapply with a different department and try to put it behind you. If you really want to try you can attempt to reschedule another poly and see if they let you.

Good luck..

dzalez wrote on May 9th, 2001 at 12:35am:

I recently failed my polygraph with LAPD, I was truthfull with all the questions. I was told that if I tell the truth I have nothing to worry about, boy was I wrong. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience with the LAPD like I did and have an input on whats the next step after failing the polygraph. I tried calling public safety to get more infomation on my status as a candidate and I cannot get a straight answer from them, my question is pretty simple, I ask them if Im disqualified as a candidate or will I get another chance to retake the polygraph and they cant tell me. Its been over a month and I have not even recieve one piece of mail indicating my situation. This has been one of the worst and frustrating experince I have ever gone through. They have my life on hold, its been a dream of mine to be police officer but Im ready to move on if I can get a straight answer from them. What makes this difficult for me is that I was finished with the entire process and had an academy date pending a succesful polygraph examination. If anyone has had a similar experience or has an input with the 
LAPD process, feel free to write to back and maybe we can discuss our options on how to deal with the RIGHTS stripping machine they call polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John (Guest)

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2001 at 4:50pm
"D,"  if you were told you flunked the polygraph examination and you felt that you were telling the truth, then why even ask if you can be re-tested. Evidentally, you are not too convinced that you really didn't pass it.  Or, it could be that you have read the book "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector" and will try to use some of the suggested countere measures.  When you took the polygraph examination for the LAPD, you lied and flunked. Whether or not you're disqualified for employment there, yes you are indeed DQed.  Why would a police department hire a liar?   ??? ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Roy

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2001 at 1:55pm

John wrote on Jul 20th, 2001 at 4:50pm:

"When you took the polygraph examination for the LAPD, you lied and flunked. Whether or not you're disqualified for employment there, yes you are indeed DQed.  Why would a police department hire a liar?   ??? ???

Obviously only if they need a good polygraphist  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cheyenne War Horse
New User

Reply #29 - Aug 20th, 2001 at 8:44am

[quote author=George Maschke link=board=share&num=989357749&start=0#2 date=05/09/01 at 01:02:38]

You should also seek copies of your entire applicant file, including all information related to your polygraph interrogation. California has its own version of the Freedom of Information Act that you should be able to use to request this information.

I am new here and was reading all the notes. I am confused about something.Why would CA have their own FOIA version.The FOIA is a Federal Act.Am I missing something in the way you said it? Is there a fee for using it?

Having been where no War Horse has ever been before? I wish to make a statement to the Press."Gosh I am tired".End quote".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
LAPD Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X