Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Outcome of poly (Read 13172 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BUSE1
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Outcome of poly
May 8th, 2001 at 7:42am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well, I spoke to my background investigator and he told me that I will have to retake the polygraph . Cry He told me that they feel that there could have been deception in a question. He didn't tell me which one it was. The question will be focused on at my next test. I dont know what went wrong? I do have a question though, if I dont do any breathing patterns and just do the anal sphincter, could that work good enough? Is it mandatory to manipulate the breathing. I was thinking that I could keep a nice breathing pattern and just manipulate the anal sphincter. This stuff is just fustrating me and it could ruin my dream of getting into lawenforcement. Any suggestions would help thanks. Oh by the way, my best friend is a female that took the poly the same day as me and she lied on the poly w/out countermeasures and passed it.She told me the guy was sweet on her. Go figure. ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Outcome of poly
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2001 at 8:42am
Quote:

I do have a question though, if I dont do any breathing patterns and just do the anal sphincter, could that work good enough? Is it mandatory to manipulate the breathing. I was thinking that I could keep a nice breathing pattern and just manipulate the anal sphincter.

It is not absolutely necessary to show a physiological response on any one specific channel (i.e., the thoracic and abdominal respiration channels, galvanic skin response or electrodermal channel, or on the cardio channel) when answering the "control" questions.

If you maintain your baseline breathing pattern (as described in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector) while answering the relevant questions and apply the anal sphincter contraction to augment your physiological responding on the cardio channel as you answer the "control" questions, this may well be enough to ensure that your chart is scored as "no deception indicated."

Pay attention also to the behavioral countermeasures described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, as factors other than what is recorded on your polygraph chart may influence the opinion ultimately rendered by your polygrapher.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2001 at 11:35am
Also, when doing any king of breathing (such as the baseline pattern), be sure to make the transition between each inhale-exhale-inhale nice and smooth.  One helpful analogy that we omitted in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is that of a "California Stop." This is where a vehicle almost comes to a halt at a stop sign, but does not come to the full stop that actually makes the vehicle rock back and forth on its suspension.  Think of this when practicing your breathing.

Best,

IP Logged

New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2001 at 4:25pm
Will I have to go through the whole process again;(filling out the questionaire, be asked all those same questions, etc)or do they just focus on that one problem?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2001 at 4:52pm
The question you ask is an administrative one, and I don't know the answer to it. You could call the department with which you're applying and ask.

It seems plausible that the relevant questions in your follow-up polygraph interrogation might pertain solely to one particular area where the polygraph examiner thought you were having "trouble," but again, I don't know.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2001 at 4:56pm
I've recieved a letter stating that I have to go in to clear up a problem area on my first poly. The weird thing is that the place I have to go to is on the opposite side of town from the first place I went. I figured that I would go to the same place. They seem to be two completely different companies. Is that usually what happens when you have to go in for a second time? Should I use the same counter measures I used the first time?(I've read the Sting Technique) Will they most likely not be as nice as they were the first time? Oh, I cleared my throat and coughed a few times during the test, could that have changed things on my poly exam? Thanks.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2001 at 5:45pm
BUSE1,

I don't know whether it is common for agencies that use contractors to administer polygraph examinations to have re-tests done by  a different contractor. The fact that you've been told to report to a different polygrapher does not seem to me to be any cause for alarm.

Regarding the use of countermeasures, I highly recommend that in addition to Doug Williams' "How to Sting the Polygraph," you also download and read Chapters 3, 4, and 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. (It's free.) We discuss several countermeasures not mentioned in Doug Williams' manual which you may wish to consider (if you do decide to employ countermeasures). I also think we do a better job of explaining how to recognize "control" questions (which is key to the successful employment of countermeasures).

Regarding whether your polygrapher will be as pleasant as the first time, again, it's impossible to say. Be prepared.

When you cleared your throat and coughed during your first polygraph interrogation, you may have created physiological responses that in the polygraph trade are referred to as "artifacts." My understanding is that when artifacts such as might be caused by coughing or other movement occur, it is common for the polygrapher not to score the question on which the artifact occured. Instead, the polygrapher will ask an irrelevant question (to serve as a buffer), and then re-ask the question on which the artifact occured. Under these circumstances, the artifact(s) would not affect the scoring of the polygraph chart.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2001 at 2:37am
BUSE1,

You should heed Goerge's advice. Read "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector". You will gain a considerable amount of useful knowledge to what a polygrapher does and how to "counter" certain tactics they employ.

In my opinion, you will probably have a different examiner, What this examiner will focus on is anybody's guess. If you have to fill out the forms again, just do it. Being on top of the game is the key to success. One question I want to ask is are you required to sign a "release of liability" that frees the "examiner" from any retribution? 

The bottom line is being prepared and having insight. Read the material on this site, it's free and will only cost you a few dollars if you want to have it bound. By using Mr. Williams material and this sites material, you increase your chances of passing.

Good Luck

Fred F. Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box didn't log

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2001 at 4:00am
Fred, I did sign a release of liability. And their not just using a different polygrapher, their using a different agency. They must be using alot of the tax payers money for this bull.Its funny that I acually have to worry about some stupid machine which holds the fate of my career. I feel that I'm worrying like if I did something or like if I'm hiding something when in reality I haven't done anything wrong. Its ridiculous! I know that I will make a great police officer and will serve my community right. By the way, I've tried to download the book and all I get is exel with a bunch of codes. Tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

IP Logged

New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2001 at 5:21am
Didn't log was me. Wink

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2001 at 7:57am
To view and print The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free. You'll find a link to Adobe's download site at the bottom of the AntiPolygraph.org publications page.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 3241

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2001 at 5:42am
When I took the polygraph I was told I passed, but then it got kicked back by the person who does quality control.  Polygrapher told me that my charts were "no comment" or something along those lines, but that I had to re-take it.  Second time he said again that I passed. And I am now awating for the results. Any of you been in the same situation and what was the outcome?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate
User

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2001 at 5:11pm
Lips Sealed
FRED:"One question I want to ask is are you required to sign a "release of liability" that frees the "examiner" from any retribution?"

During my last polygraph test in which I passed, when presented with the "release of liability" I jokingly asked, "do I have to sign this" the examiner said no, but whispered "you and I both know what the police department will do if you don't so......".  He was probably right.  I know some say to refuse to sign this but I can see the examiner failing you anyhow or the Police Department not hiring you do to lack of cooperation problems/inability to follow orders.  My advice (and my advice only) is to just play the game, but better than they do! 

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods" &&&&-Albert Einstein &&
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2001 at 2:24am
Nate,

You are absolutely correct! 

The point I am making is that the "release of liability", in my opinion, gives the polygrapher "carte blanche" to do whatever their hearts desire because you have no way of directly seeking retribution against them. 

Theoretically, if the polygrapher finds soemthing in your jacket that he deems to be"unsuitable", he has "failed" you before you ever get strapped in. This might be far-fetched but you never know. 

The whole idea of this "professional" making you sign a paper that basically gives someone that unconditional freedom makes me wonder.

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 3232

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2001 at 5:39am
Has anyone had to re-take their polygraph and at the same time have their background investigation going?

IP Logged

Outcome of poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X