Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) State Law Enforcement polygraph tests (Read 24602 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John (Guest)

State Law Enforcement polygraph tests
May 7th, 2001 at 10:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was thinking about joing with a state law enforcement agency and I know that one of their requirements is a polygraph test. I was just wandering what questions they will ask for this type of polygraph exam. I did some marijauna when I was younger, will this come back to haunt me for the test? Can I convince myself that it never happened? Can I lie and answer it like any other question and have it look like the truth to the examiner? I'm just curious before I actually apply.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jane_Doe_III
New User

Just say NO !!!

Re: State Law Enforcement polygraph tests
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2001 at 3:17am
John,
 Most law enforcement agencies allow for "experimental" marijuana use as a teenager or young adult. By experimental I mean usually 1-5 times but it varies with each agency and I presume some have a zero tolerance policy. 
 As for the questions that you should expect I would refer you to the free booklet on this site "THE LIE BEHIND THE LIE DETECTOR". It has pretty good examples of pre-employment polygraph screening questions. 
 My own personal recommendation to you would be to not attempt to conceal your past experience with marijuana as it may come back to haunt you in a background investigation. As far as using countermeasures on the polygraph exam? Read the booklet and decide for yourself. I myself have fallen victim to this hideous interrogation technique 3 times with a federal law enforcement agency and have been labeled "inconclusive", which generally means that they couldn't detect if I was lying or telling the truth. With those results they automatically assume that you are lying about something! And I was a Police Officer just trying to go to a federal agency. 
  Good luck with your endeavors and don't go into a polygraph exam blindly, read the books and experiences that people have had on this site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box recruit

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2001 at 8:52pm
I have to agree with Jane Doe that the best thing for background is not to conceal especially if it was experimental.  I have recently been thru the background for a major police dept and I ended up going thru with flying colors b/c I was completely honest with them and provided explanations for all infractions and references that could back up my story.  With my experience during a police hiring investigation, the investigators are there to find out all the needed information but they really want you to pass.  Their goal is not to fail you.  Sure there are those horror stories out there of some nut job who has it out for you, but for the most part their job is to make sure you are a qualified participant.  In my experience I admitted to smoking marijuana 5 times around 10 years ago at parties.  (remember one night is one time, don't for that I smoked but didn't inhale crap!)  As far as the polygraph read the info on this site, read the free book and decide for yourself.  For me I didn't use any countermeasures and found that as long I didn't intentionally conceal anything there really is nothing I've done for the last 10 years that would make anyone sit up and take notice.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Godzilla
New User

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2001 at 12:21am
Hi, i have to take a lie detecter test for a state police job and i did more than just experiment with drugs, but for the last 15 years i havent done a thing, as a matter of fact ive been in the marines for 10 of that and have a piss test every other week, is the poly just going to inquire about the last 10 years?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2001 at 2:42am
Godzilla,

To start, download and read The Lie Behind The Lie Detector. This will provide you with the background information about how the polygraph "exam" is conducted and how to "counter" the "exam" if you choose to do so.

I believe you should have no trouble with a polygraph. If you have been a Marine for 10 years, you know about interrogation techniques along with focused thinking and in your face badgering from boot camp. The polygrapher will not be able to "break" you into making a statement that is not truthful, which is what they want.

Did you disclose your earlier drug use on your background information? Generally, if they don't like what you write you will be released at that point. Another important point is to remember what you have said earlier and keep it in line with what you will state on the pre-poly "questionaire". The polygrapher will try to extort any "hidden" information that he needs to bolster his conclusions. 

Read the book and get educated. Knowledge is power. Going into a polygraph with knowledge of what is happening gives you an advantage, instead of being manipulated because you are not informed.

Good Luck

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2001 at 6:44am
Fred,

Thanks for the reply, I have already read the book, an excellent source of information, on the background i told them exactly what i told the Marine recruiter in 1990, that i smoked marijuana 3 times in 1983, ill stick to that. What do you think about Doug Williams' book "Sting The Polygraph" is it worth the $48, ill do anything for the job, or is it the same as "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector" Thanks again for your time.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2001 at 4:21am

Godzilla wrote on Aug 9th, 2001 at 6:44am:

What do you think about Doug Williams' book "Sting The Polygraph" is it worth the $48, ill do anything for the job, or is it the same as "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector" Thanks again for your time.

Godzilla,

The decision to buy Doug's book is entirely up to you. He is a former polygrapher and I have heard positive comments on his material and that you can speak to him personally to answer questions.  The Lie Behind The Lie Detector provides you similiar information on countermeasures and how polygraph tests are performed. 

I will reiterate what I said in the earlier post. Your background in the Marine Corp is more than sufficient and with the The Lie Behind The Lie Detector you have all the knowledge you need to successfully pass your polygraph. 

The decision to use the countermeasures is your personal one.

Good Luck 

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2001 at 11:39pm
Fred F.

Thanks for the input, do you know how for back they ask about? Do they say have you ever or do they say in the last 10 years?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2001 at 2:51am

Godzilla wrote on Aug 10th, 2001 at 11:39pm:

do you know how for back they ask about? Do they say have you ever or do they say in the last 10 years?

Godzilla,

You will not be asked questions that have to do with time frame in that sense. You will be asked control questions such as "Have you ever used marijuana"? and irrelevant questions such as "are you telling me the truth today about your drug use"? 

The whole test format is laid out by the polygrapher in the pre-polygraph "interview". The examiner will tell you what questions you will be asked but BEWARE......The phrasing of some "irrelevant" questions may NOT be the same during the "test" as they were during the "interview". The "control" questions will be basic have you ever.... format.

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2001 at 3:02pm
Godzilla,

I think that background questions are likely to cover your entire life and not be limited, to, say, the past ten years.

Fred F.,

You wrote:
Quote:
You will not be asked questions that have to do with time frame in that sense. You will be asked control questions such as "Have you ever used marijuana"? and irrelevant questions such as "are you telling me the truth today about your drug use"?

I disagree with your categorization of the sample questions you provided. "Have you ever used marijuana?" (or, perhaps, "Other than what you told me, did you ever use marijuana?") is a likely relevant question, not a probable-lie "control" question.

And the question "Are you telling me the truth today about your drug use?" is not an irrelevant question, but a relevant question.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 9:19am
If you have nothing to hide 100% honesty is always the best choice.  Just because you have the knowledge to beat a Polygraph doesn't mean that you should automatically lie about all the bad things you have done in your life, you have to remember that those experiences made you the person you are today.  I have no regerets about my experimentation with Marijuana, if anything my having tried the drug reassured me that it wasn't for me and I no longer have the temptation to know what it was like to be "stoned", therefor making me more likely to never try drugs again.

There is nothing worse than the feeling of guilt that can come back to haunt you for having lied about something you didn't have to lie about in the first place.  Lying on your application is not the right way to begin a career in Law enforcement.

Good luck with your recruitment process and especially on the Polygraph.

Dimas

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pseudo Relevant
New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2001 at 7:04pm

Quote:

Godzilla,

I think that background questions are likely to cover your entire life and not be limited, to, say, the past ten years.

Fred F.,

You wrote:

I disagree with your categorization of the sample questions you provided. "Have you ever used marijuana?" (or, perhaps, "Other than what you told me, did you ever use marijuana?") is a likely relevant question, not a probable-lie "control" question.

And the question "Are you telling me the truth today about your drug use?" is not an irrelevant question, but a relevant question.

I have to agree with George on the question categories. However, most pre-polygraph questionnaires cover everything since the early or mid teens.

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2001 at 3:23am
has anyone ever taken the ny state troopers poly? my friend has to in november.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dan
New User

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2001 at 1:00pm
I'm applying for a position at the sheriffs dept. and have read "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" and have decided to go with the honesty approach. I'm ashamed about this, but I have one work record from my previous employer of stealing a sandwich from the store. This is true, though I've taken alot more than one since I started. It wasn't hard to take the sandwiches since there was no cameras or any other security devices, but if someone saw me, I'd be in trouble. They finally caught me, but they don't know of the countless other incidents. It's a big company that paid crap so to me it was like being my own Robin Hood. But it's still theft. My question is if I answer this truthfully will the sheriffs dept. still concider me or will I have to look for a job somewhere else?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMike

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2001 at 6:58pm
Dan,

I suggest you tell your Background Investigator about the sandwiches.  If you did this more than a few times you probably don't remember all of them.  For example, lets say that you stole 10 sandwiches over the course of one year.  The BI will ask you, "Have you ever stolen anything in your life (or since the age of XX) ?  You would respond with, "Yes, when I was working at XX I stole a couple of sandwiches."  It is critical that you appear confident in your response to the question.  The BI will continue probing, most likely trying to minimize the theft, but you will stick to your story and finish up with letting him know you were caught.  You don't want him to catch you off guard later with... "I just spoke with your previous employer over at XX and he told me that you were a thief!"  Keep in mind that you were not shoplifting but embezzling.  This incident can be made to vilify you if you are not prepared.  The key is to show responsibility for your actions.  Personally I prefer to come across as remorseful only in the sense that it took XX mistake for me to learn my lesson and make me a stonger person.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
State Law Enforcement polygraph tests

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X