Normal Topic the polygraph ruined my future (Read 12207 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box screwed

the polygraph ruined my future
Apr 18th, 2001 at 11:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took a polygraph for the Secret Service Uniformed Division.  Until that point I was highly qualified for the job.  I knew that I had proven myself to be a top candidate and I thought that the polygraph was just a formality or at least partially accurate.  Unfortunately it was none of these things.  All that I knew about the polygraph before I took it was that it will be "the worst four hours of your life".  This is what several Secret Service agents told me before I went in.  Needless to say this made me a bit nervous.  I was even more nervous when I found out that a number of candidates who took the polygraph before me were failing the test during the drug use questions.  This is where it gets interesting.  I've never done, bought, sold, transported or even thought about doing any illegal drugs.  I've never even smoked a cigarette in my life but for some reason the agents never believed me when I told them this.  At one point I was told by an agent that if "I were to go home tonight and suddenly remember that I had done drugs then it wouldn't be too late to change that section of your application".  I got the feeling that they actually wanted me to go home and do drugs just so I'd have something to admit to.  When I actually took the test I was so nervous that I failed for 3 things including drugs and serious crimes.  I couldn't believe it.  I had spent my entire life being "good" just so I could live out my dream and be in the Secret Service. It only took them one moment to take that all away from me.  What should I do?  These people disgraced me and I can't do anything about it.  I just want my reputation back.  Would it be a waste of my time and money to sue them?  I just can't believe that our "elite" law enforcement agencies actually rely on the notion there is such a thing as a "lie detector".      

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: the polygraph ruined my future
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2001 at 12:54am
Quote:
What should I do? These people disgraced me and I can't do anything about it. I just want my reputation back. Would it be a waste of my time and money to sue them?

Don't take this sitting down. You can start by appealing the termination of your application for employment and demanding release of the US Secret Service's records about you under the Privacy Act. See Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector on grievance procedures.

Washington, DC attorney Mark S. Zaid is representing eleven applicants for employment who are suing the federal government over its use of polygraphy. You can contact him to discuss your legal options. You can reach him by e-mail to ZaidMS@aol.com or at:

Mark S. Zaid, Esq. 
Lobel, Novins & Lamont 
1275 K Street, N.W. 
Suite 770 
Washington, D.C. 20005 
(202) 371-6626 
(202) 371-6643 fax

Filings from these cases are posted on this website at:

http://antipolygraph.org/litigation.shtml#zaid

In addition, see the statements of other Secret Service applicants on AntiPolygraph.org at:

http://antipolygraph.org/statements.shtml

Many others have been through the same abuse that you did. Please consider writing a public statement of your own.

I strongly suggest you write to both your senators and representative in the House regarding your experience with the polygraph, and ask that they help sponsor a comprehensive Polygraph Protection Act that will remove the governmental exemptions from the 1988 Employee Polygraph Protection Act.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jane Doe III

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2001 at 2:59am
Dear screwed,
    Welcome to our club, you are now an honorary member. This sucks doesn't it? 
Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2001 at 7:22am
Screwed,

Quote:
I just can't believe that our "elite" law enforcement agencies actually rely on the notion there is such a thing as a "lie detector".

The Secret Service has arguably the most abusive pre-employment polygraph in the entire United States.  This "elite" agency's child-like faith in this 1920s technology is truly difficult to believe.

You'll want to check out http://www.stoppolygraph.com.  This is a site run by a police detective who applied for employment with the Secret Service and had the same experience that you did.  Also, send me an e-mail at scalabrini@antipolygraph.org.  I have some other information that you may find of interest.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anon
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2001 at 2:42am
     THE POLYGRAPH
It is an unfortunate fate that we all share - I
am deeply saddened by the actions of the examiner
and his cronies - but even more saddened that these
are the guys who are protecting the Republic.

While violent crime, predjudice and drugs tear our
country apart, hard working, tax paying and law
obeying candidates are being robbed of their 
dignity through the abuse of a machine that measures
sweat and heart rate.  Once all the law abiders have been successfully removed from the applicant pool then all that are left are good actors and or liers.

I cannot over estimate the tremendous fear I have for the future of our country.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jethro

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2001 at 5:56am
This kind of garbage is ruining our country's future!  Promising young people are being removed from contention for important security positions like the Secret Service based on anitquated, inaqurate technology.  I know several individuals such as yourself that have had similar experiences with the polygraph machine and they were relegated to careers that could never take full advantage of their potential.  The fact that the U.S. government relies on such a pre-historic machine to differentiate between possible candidates to protect our future is nothing less than frightening.  I only pray that this policy is changed quickly so that we can finally rest assured that the true cream of the crop are the only ones responsible for guarding our lives.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box heath

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2001 at 4:47am
God help you.  The same thing happened to my brother and I've lost all of the faith that I've had in our outdated and ludacris system of law enforcement.  As far as I'm concerned the method with which we prosecute our criminals is equivalent to the Salem witch trials. It freightens me that an agency as inept as the Secret Service is entrusted with so many truly important duties.

IP Logged

the polygraph ruined my future

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X