Normal Topic Why do current policemen get HARDER polygraphs?   (Read 2518 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ben

Why do current policemen get HARDER polygraphs?  
Mar 28th, 2001 at 12:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was wondering why current law enforcement officers get HARDER polygraph tests then entry level applicants? If I had walked in off the street to the agency I had just applied for, I would have had one page of questions on the polygraph test.  They gave me a whole other page of offensive questions because I was a police officer.  Why? I am already in a public trust position in which I carry a gun and do essentially the identical job I am applying for.  The results of the test said I "showed reactions" on things like drug use since I have been a police officer. My question is how can a ridiculous accusation like that be made when my department has a rigorous monthly random drug test policy? I believe Police Officers deserve more trust, not less, and we tend to show more reactions on Polys because we SEE the very things they ask about (not do them) on a daily basis.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jane Doe III

Re: Why do current policemen get HARDER polygraphs
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2001 at 9:01pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
  Based on my own personal experience, I don't think current law enforcement officers' Polygraphs are necessarily harder than anybody elses. I just think that the examination is more biased toward police officers as we experience most of the "hot topics" discussed during the interview and examination. Most people aren't in contact with drug users and dealers on an almost daily basis, nor have they actually seen or held most of the common drugs that are out on the streets. But as Police Officers we do. How many of your friends that aren't Cops actually ever held a clip of crack viles, a fold of herion or one hundred nickel bags of marijuana? I don't know about your city or town, but where I work it's very common to come across these items. I feel that these encounters effect us subconsciously especially during stressful interrogations like a polygraph, thus resulting in either a false positive or inconclusive result. My personal experience with the polygraph resulted in 3 consecutive "inconclusive" results in the area of serious or major crimes, and I've been in Law Enforcement for over 8 years! Of course I've been around, observed and have even been a victim of serious crimes. But their machine doesn't lie, only cops do! (that's the attitude the examiners seem to take)  So don't feel like you are going through this polygraph nightmare all alone, there are many innocent victims of this witchcraft psuedoscience gone mad.

IP Logged

Why do current policemen get HARDER polygraphs?  

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X