Normal Topic A Public Challenge to FBI Director Louis J. Freeh (Read 7203 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

A Public Challenge to FBI Director Louis J. Freeh
Mar 27th, 2001 at 1:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dear Judge Freeh:

On 29 September 1997, the FBI's top scientific expert on polygraphy, Supervisory Special Agent Dr. Drew C. Richardson of the Laboratory Division, testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary's Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight and the Courts:

Quote:
[Polygraph screening] is completely without any theoretical foundation and has absolutely no validity. Although there is disagreement amongst scientists about the use of polygraph testing in criminal matters, there is almost universal agreement that polygraph screening is completely invalid and should be stopped. As one of my colleagues frequently says, the diagnostic value of this type of testing is no more than that of astrology or tea-leaf reading.

Dr. Richardson further testified:

Quote:
If this test had any validity (which it does not), both my own experience, and published scientific research has proven, that anyone can be taught to beat this type of polygraph exam in a few minutes.

Dr. Richardson's opening statement before the Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight and the Courts may be read on-line at:

http://antipolygraph.org/hearings/senate-judiciary-1997/richardson-statement.sht...

In a follow-up memorandum to FBI Laboratory Division director Dr. Donald M. Kerr dated 25 October 1999, Dr. Richardson wrote that "a technique which has no diagnostic value would require such a universal bluff and disinformation campaign as to be impractical, if not comical, to continue over a period of time...." You may read this memo on-line at:

http://antipolygraph.org/hearings/senate-judiciary-1997/richardson-25-10-99.shtm...

I challenge you to publicly respond to Dr. Richardson's charges. Is Dr. Richardson right or wrong? If he's right, then polygraph screening should be abolished. If you think he's wrong, then on what evidence do you base this opinion? The American people (including the 500 FBI employees whom you recently ordered to submit to polygraphic interrogation or face disciplinary action for insubordination) deserve an answer.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

A Public Challenge to FBI Director Louis J. Freeh

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X