Normal Topic Disgusted at movie "Traffic" (Read 4470 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FP (Guest)

Disgusted at movie "Traffic"
Mar 21st, 2001 at 1:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I think this issue was mentioned in a previous post some time back. At any rate, I saw the movie Traffic over the weekend. In the movie, a member of a powerful Mexican drug cartel betrays his boss and goes to the US DEA to divulge damaging information about the cartel. There is a scene where the DEA polygraphs this guy to "see if he's truthful". 

I was just utterly disgusted with the message this sends to the public about polygraphs. That specific scene had no elements of the examiners badgering and abusing the subject, which is typical in federal polygraphs. Also, this guy passing the poly in the movie is consistent with reality, because this character is basically a scumbag. Duplicitous scumbags are the ones with the best chances of passing a poly in reality.

I'm almost fearful that the polygraph situation is going to get much much worse before someone high up in government comes to their senses and orders a comprehensive analysis of polygraph research to date, and sees it has no genuine scientific basis.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lone Ranger

Re: Disgusted at movie "Traffic"
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2001 at 5:15am
FP,

You've got it all wrong, Federal examiners only badger and abuse subjects who LIE.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2001 at 5:27am
Lone Ranger,

You wrote:
Quote:
You've got it all wrong, Federal examiners only badger and abuse subjects who LIE.

On what basis do you make this assertion?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2001 at 12:44pm
FP,

I think the motion picture industry has played a very important role in promoting popular belief in the lie detector. While I don't recall seeing any posts about the movie Traffic, (which I haven't seen), you may have read my earlier post about the use of lie detectors on The Jenny Jones Show:

http://www.antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl?board=Action&action=...

I think that the motion picture and television industries could also play an important role in exposing polygraphy for the fraud that it is.

You also wrote:
Quote:
I'm almost fearful that the polygraph situation is going to get much much worse before someone high up in government comes to their senses and orders a comprehensive analysis of polygraph research to date, and sees it has no genuine scientific basis.

Such a research review was done by the Congressional Office of Technology Assessment in 1983, and it concluded that the use of polygraphy for screening purposes is not supported by scientific research. While this study helped in getting the 1988 Employee Polygraph Protection Act passed, the Congress (quite cynically, in my view) exempted federal, state, and local governments from the law's restrictions.

A new research review is currently underway under the auspices of the National Academy of Sciences' National Research Council. For more details, see AntiPolygraph.org's NAS Polygraph Review page:

http://antipolygraph.org/nas.shtml

Last modification: George Maschke - 03/21/01 at 04:44:55

IP Logged

Disgusted at movie "Traffic"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X