Normal Topic US Customs-'ineligible' if U even say no 2 poly!! (Read 3162 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antipoly

US Customs-'ineligible' if U even say no 2 poly!!
Mar 19th, 2001 at 8:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
FYI-  For what it's worth, I just called the US  Customs Service and they said that I was found ***ineligible*** on the initial pre-screening packet for an entry-level 1811 position, because I had 'inadvertently' marked 'no'  to the question   " Do you agree to submit to a polygraph examination, if required". Key word- if required!!!   I thought I had answered 'yes'.     I am going to re-submit a new application today noting 'yes' I agree to submit to one, but my point is that they are declining people who just say "no" to the 'possibility' of submitting to a polygraph.

I heard this verbally; they said that they would send out a written denial based on my answer of 'no', in a short time. I'd like to get a copy of this in writing. But that could take forever!

Just thought you should all know of this situation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Re: US Customs-'ineligible' if U even say no 2 pol
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2001 at 11:55pm
antipoly,

Thanks for sharing this. Do I understand correctly then that polygraph screening is not a routine requirement for an 1811 position with US Customs, but may be required in some cases?

Last modification: George Maschke - 03/19/01 at 15:55:14

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antipoly

Re: US Customs-'ineligibleif U even say no 2 poly!
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2001 at 3:44am
To answer your question:
The following is from the new USCS Entry Level (GS 5/7/9 Criminal Investigator applicant booklet explicitly  states:

"Are you willing to undergo a background investigation, which may include the administration of a polygraph examination?"

The vacancy announcement (e.g.  INVSC/00-097AGO, etc. )for current gov't employees, and current USCS employees explicitly states:

"POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION: Tentative selectee may be subject to successful completion of a polygraph examination".

As the word 'may' is included in both statements, I'm am not sure if a poly is "required", but they are leaving themselves an out and  reserving the right to test - if they so choose.  But as I found out, if you say that you don't agree to even the  "possibility" {emphasis added} of submitting to a poly', you are dropped from the applicant process right then and there!!!!!   

In the past USCS did not require the poly.  Seems that the USCS is acting just like ATF (who just jumped on the poly bandwagon), in that they (USCS)are just now requiring the poly for new agents.   At this rate, pretty soon the USMS, Border Patrol, NCIS,  and the OIG's will soon all require a poly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

US Customs-'ineligible' if U even say no 2 poly!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X