Normal Topic Need help FAST (Read 3782 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Officer (Guest)

Need help FAST
Mar 4th, 2001 at 5:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have taken one polygraph before which I failed because the guy giving me the test thought I was controling my breathing. Actually I answered all his questions truethfully! This test was to become a police officer at a municipal agency. I later got a job as a police officer at another agency that did not give polygraphs and have a flawless record! 

I have to take a polygraph for another job I am applying for. Can you guys give me some suggestions. I really want to get this job! I have told the truth before and got the "shaft".
I have answered the pretest very truthfully and have included minor things I had stolen as a child. Is this a good idea?  Should I use mental counter-measures when ask general info questions? Can you give me some control questions I may need to look for?

Some of the questions I thought may be a control are listed below:

1. Are you an honest person?
2. List everything under $100 you have stolen?

I hope one day they will pass a law against polygraphs. I know first hand what crap they are!

Please reply soon. Feel free to email me at radarlove8@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jane Doe III

Re: Need help FAST
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2001 at 7:25am
Here's some real quick advice. Use caution when you post messages on this site. Polygraph examiners frequent this site on a daily basis, so don't go too far into the specifics or details. They will automatically presume you are using countermeasures once they find out you even visited this site!
As far as advice you'll get from the registered users and host, I'm sure they'll refer you to the "Lie Behind the Lie Detector" listed on this site. It's very good knowledge but it's a damn shame that we have to go this far just to get a job. The machine is nonsense and it's a hit or miss situation when you sit down and submit to this witchery. Good luck and I hope you don't get jammed up like I did on the "TEST".

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2001 at 9:47am
Officer,

Jane Doe III is right, I would refer you first to The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. In particular, you'll learn to identify "control" questions in Chapter 3 and how to protect yourself against a false positive outcome in Chapter 4.

Your having listed minor childhood thefts is fine, and no doubt expected. But when you ask whether you should use mental countermeasures when asked "general info questions," your choice of terminology suggests that you might not be clear on the distinction between relevant, irrelevant, and "control" questions. If you do choose to employ countermeasures, be sure to do so only when answering those that you clearly recognize as "control" questions.

The question "Are you an honest person?" is an example of a commonly-used probable-lie "control" question.

Since all questions in the "in-test" phase of a polygraph interrogation must be answered "yes" or "no," your second example, "List everything under $100 you have stolen?" could not be used. However, a commonly-used probable-lie "control" question is: "Did you steal anything from an employer?" or "Did you steal anything of value?"

You'll find more examples of "control" questions in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Feel free to post the questions listed in your pre-test questionnaire, and I'll be happy to provide commentary on them.

Regarding passing of a law against polygraphs, merely hoping for it won't make it happen. Our elected representatives need to hear from us. See the Get Involved page to learn what you can do to help abolish polygraphy.

Last modification: George Maschke - 03/04/01 at 01:47:05

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Officer (Guest)

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2001 at 9:38am
I have just got finished printing the book. I see I have a lot to learn. I also just emailed my congressman and senators. I also plan on trying to get the local media to do a segment on how unreliable polygraphs are!

I am glad to know I am not alone in the way I feel about these things. The bad thing is nobody should be subjected to this crap.

Again thats for all the help guys and if you think of anything else let me know.

???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gino J. Scalabrini (Guest)

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2001 at 12:14pm
Officer,

No problem.  We are glad to be of assistance.  Feel free to contact us again, either through this message board or via e-mail, if you have any further questions after reading the book.  Incidentally, print shops like "Kinko’s" will often spiral bind the book for easy handling at a cost of less than $5.00. Another alternative is to use a 3-ring hole punch and put the pages into a binder.

I suggest that you follow up your e-mails to your representatives with typewritten "snail mail" letters.  Due to the overwhelming volume of e-mails that elected officials receive (from constituents and "spammers" as well),  e-mails do not receive the same attention that traditional letters do.  Furthermore, elected officials also know that e-mails can easily be forged to make it look like a large number of people are interested in a topic.

Suggestions for writing your representatives (and several prominent Senators) can be found on our get involved page at:
http://www.antipolygraph.org/get.shtml

I urge you to take the few minutes needed to do this when you have the time (after you deal with the polygraph at hand, of course).

Best,

IP Logged

Need help FAST

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X