Normal Topic Polygraph coming up (Read 4271 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Staying Anonymous for now

Polygraph coming up
Feb 26th, 2001 at 2:04pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Very recently I have been accused of a very bad crime.  It's something that I would have never thought I could be accused of.  I went voluntarily to the sherriff station and underwent 2 1/2 hours of interogation by an officer who is convinced I am guilty of this hanus crime.  One of the first things I asked was "Ok.  What can I do to clear my name? Can't I take a lie detector test?" He discouraged it, stating that in our state its not admissable in court and that he wouldn't even be able to mention the report.  I said that would be a good thing from my side since it appears I have nothing to lose.  Again, he discouraged it stating that human error can mess up the results.  So we went on.  2 hours later HE was the one that wanted me to take one (earlier, he wouldn't even grant me one unless I paid for it).  I asked why he was all of a sudden all for it.  His answers were bogus.  I terminated the interview after he began shouting at me "I'm the one calling the shots here" and went home.  I have been petrified the past couple days about this now that I've read "the lie behind the lie detector".  I'm worried that if I now refuse to take one it'll be seen as an admission of guilt.  I'm worried that if I DO take one, I'll fail it because I was trembling towards the end of the "interview" with the officer, with hands perspiring badly and my heart racing.   

First and formost, I have done nothing wrong.  I was the one who brought up taking a polygraph test because I figured I had nothing to hide.  I'm quite scared now.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Staying anonymous for now

Re: Polygraph coming up
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2001 at 2:27pm
Also, I'd like to know if anyone can think of a better way to clear me of any charges.  The officer repeatedly focused on me "coming up with" another direction for him to go.  I don't have one.  Besides that, I don't feel it's my job.  I feel like I'm having to feel guilty until proven innocent.  I've been told to make myself available in the next couple of weeks even after the polygraph (I asked specifically "If I pass the test will you let me go".  His response "I will continue to search for the truth", indicating he will believe I did it no matter what).  I'm worried about people at work finding out as well as my extended family (so far only my wife and clergy knows, and both are very supportive in proclaiming my innocense).  I hesitate divulging any more information, for the simple fact that what if this over zealous Joe Friday is reading the boards? I've tried to be as broad as possible.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

CANCEL IT!
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2001 at 7:23pm
Dear Staying Anonymous for now,

You need to cancel any lie detector test that you have scheduled without delay. Do it now.

You will gain absolutely nothing from agreeing to be polygraphed. You said yourself that the officer who interrogated you is already convinced of your guilt. The polygraph cannot detect lies: its sole utility is as a psychological billyclub to elicit admissions from naive and gullible suspects. You can expect that if you do go in for a lie detector test, the whole procedure from beginning to end will be nothing more than an effort to get you to confess to the crime of which you have been accused.

Refusing to submit to trial-by-polygraph is in no way, shape, or form an admission of guilt. Polygraphy is a scientific fraud, and refusal to submit to it only shows that you've got good sense.

You need a good defense lawyer to represent you. And if any lawyer with whom you seek a consultation recommends to you that you submit to a lie detector test, don't hire him.

I understand that you at first volunteered to take a lie detecter test because you were struggling to find a way to prove your innocence. But the polygraph can do no such thing. If you feel the need to explain to the Sheriff's Office why you have decided to refuse to submit to a polygraph "test," you can explain that you've discovered the truth about lie detectors.

Last modification: George Maschke - 02/26/01 at 11:23:01

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Staying Anonymous for Now

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2001 at 7:09pm
Thank you very much for your advice.  I have retained an attorney as of this morning who was very upfront with the fact that this is going to cost an arm and a leg.  The first thing he advised was for me to cancel arrangements for a polygraph test.  He agreed that nothing positive will come out of it.  His biggest concern is that the police will want THEIR guy conducting the test and that it's just a tool for them to try and get a confession from me. He agreed about the inaccuracy and invalidity of them and gave me a lecture on how I should have never suggested it (Duh, I didn't know it doesn't detect lies at the time). In our first 30 minute consultation this morning he has told me that he doesn't think they have anything on me.  He told me that in his experience the police are NOT there to help people they believe of wrong doing and nothing has ever been helped by voluntarily submitting for interogations and tests with them.  He said for the time being we play the waiting game to see if they charge me, and if so I round up as many witnesses as I can get and he becomes my trial attorney.  I'm scared half to death but at least I know I wont be testing false to a lie detector test.   

Thank you again,

Anonymous for now (will let you know who I am and where I am later after this all blows over)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2001 at 7:30pm
It's good that you've got a lawyer now, and his counsel about the polygraph is sound. I wish you well as you go through what must be a very harrowing ordeal.

Last modification: George Maschke - 02/26/01 at 11:30:35

IP Logged

Polygraph coming up

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X