Normal Topic DOE Polygraph Consent Form (Read 4165 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

DOE Polygraph Consent Form
Feb 14th, 2001 at 5:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The U.S. Department of Energy polygraph examination consent form (http://antipolygraph.org/documents/doe-polygraph-consent.pdf) requires those who sign to positively affirm some troubling things. For example, those who sign this form affirm in para. 1.b that they they understand, that:

Quote:
Adverse action will not be taken against me based solely on a refusal to undergo this examination, and any refusal will not be recorded in my personnel file.

but in the next paragraph (1.c.) they must acknowledge their understanding that:

Quote:
Refusal to undergo the polygraph examination will preclude the granting of or continuing access to the designated program, specific position or body of information.

For one to affirm both of these things requires one to adopt an unusual meaning for the term "adverse action." Preclusion from access to information for those who refuse to undergo a polygraph examination has serious, negative employment consequences, and this preclusion amounts to an "adverse action" within the usual meaning of the words.

In para. 1.d., the examinee must certify that he/she understands that

Quote:
The polygraph procedures will be explained and a review of all test questions will be made prior to the examination.

However, the explanation of the polygraph procedure that the polygraph examiner (following federal doctrine for the administration of polygraph examinations) provides to the examinee is false and misleading. (See Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and the Test for Espionage and Sabotage Administration Guidelines for details.)

In para. 1.f, the examinee certifies that he/she understands that

Quote:
Because I am not suspected of having committed any criminal offense, a specific warning regarding self-incrimination will not be provided. However, the exclusion of this warning does not preclude me from consulting with an attorney at my expense prior to the polygraph examination.

For DOE employees and contractors to certify that they understand that they are "not suspected of having committed any criminal offense" requires an exercise doublethink. If these persons are truly "not suspected of having committed any criminal offense,"  then why are they being interrogated precisely about having committed criminal offenses, including, at that, espionage (a potential capital offense)?

Lastly, in para. 2, the examinee certifies that

Quote:
I understand the above conditions associated with a polygraph examination, including the applicability of the Privacy Act of 1974

But the form itself does not explain the applicability of the Privacy Act. It would be approprate for that information to be inlcluded in the form.

Last modification: George Maschke - 02/14/01 at 09:27:58

IP Logged

DOE Polygraph Consent Form

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X