Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) How to Pass the DoD CI-Scope Polygraph (Read 53211 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

How to Pass the DoD CI-Scope Polygraph
Jan 26th, 2001 at 12:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
While the FBI is willing to brand some 20% of applicants as liars through its pre-employment polygraph screening program, the Department of Defense, like the Department of Energy, is more circumspect about making such accusations through its counterintelligence-scope polygraph screening program.

The Department of Defense (DoD) Polygraph Program Report to Congress for Fiscal Year 2000 is now available on the Federation of American Scientists website at:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/polygraph/dod-2000.html

The counterintelligence-scope polygraph screening format used by DoD (and also by the Department of Energy) is the Test for Espionage and Sabotage, which I critiqued in "The Lying Game: National Security and the Test for Espionage and Sabotage":

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-002.shtml

Amazingly, the DoD polygraph report for FY 2000 indicates that the only individuals who "failed" their DoD polygraph screening "tests" were those who made significant admissions! Everyone else "passed." Thus, the key to passing seems to be simply to make no significant admissions! The FY 2000 DoD report to Congress states:

Quote:
Approximately 71 percent of our polygraph tests are conducted as a condition for access to certain positions or information under the DoD Counterintelligence-Scope Polygraph (CSP) Program. The DoD CSP Program is authorized by Public Law 100-180. The purpose of the CSP Program is to deter and detect activity involving espionage, sabotage, and terrorism.

The DoD conducts CSP examinations on military personnel, DoD civilian employees, and DoD contractor personnel. Of the 7,890 individuals examined under the CSP Program in Fiscal Year 2000, 7,688 showed no significant physiological response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive) and provided no substantive information. The remaining 202 individuals provided substantive information. Of these 202 individuals, 194 received a favorable adjudication, three are still pending adjudication, five are pending investigation, and no one received adverse action denying or withholding access. [emphasis added]

The report goes on to clarify:

Quote:
There were 7,688 individuals whose polygraph examination results were evaluated as no significant response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive). The remaining 202 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information.

This report makes it clear that the polygraph charts are not being used to determine whether individuals pass or fail: if the individual provides no "substantive information," then any physiological responses he/she may have shown to the relevant questions are deemed not to be significant, and the individual "passes." If the individual provides substantive information, then he/she "fails," regardless of polygraph chart readings, and further investigation is conducted by more conventional means.

While the report claims that "[t]he purpose of the [Counterintelligence-Scope Polygraph] Program is to deter and detect espionage, sabotage, and terrorism," it seems that the only spies, saboteurs, or terrorists who will be deterred or detected by it are those who are dumb enough to make admissions.

Last modification: George Maschke - 01/26/01 at 04:11:27

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: How to Pass the DoD CI-Scope Polygraph
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2002 at 12:02pm
DoD's Polygraph Program Report for Fiscal Year 2001 is now available on the Federation of American Scientists website:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/polygraph/dod-2001.html 

Again, the only persons who failed to pass were those who made "substantive" admissions:

Quote:
Specific CSP Examination Results

The polygraph examination results for the 8,784 individuals tested under the Department of Defense Counterintelligence-Scope Polygraph Program are as follows:

Two hundred ten individuals required more than two series (a series is defined as the collection of at least two polygraph charts on an examinee). A total of 92 examinations required more than one day to complete.

There were 8,494 individuals whose polygraph examination results were evaluated as no significant response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive). The remaining 290 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information.

Two hundred sixty-two individuals made admissions relevant to the issues being tested, and through further testing, the examiner was able to resolve all relevant issues favorably to the subject.

Twenty-six individuals made admissions relevant to the issues being tested and continued to be evaluated as deceptive during further testing.

Of the 290 individuals who yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information, 271 received a favorable adjudication, five are still pending adjudication, fourteen are pending investigation, and no one received adverse action denying or withholding access.

It seems that the key to passing the DoD counterintelligence-scope polygraph "test" is to simply make no substantive admissions...

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rabican

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 7:32pm
Im going to take the police polygraph test. I have smoked week over 100 times and done shrooms, once or twice. I have alos sold weed before alil...How would i go about handling this problem when tested? Do they ask for round #'s like, "have you smoked weed say 10 times?" should i admit to a #? how do i go about handling this situation? or is lying with counter measures the best way???

THANKS!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 7:50pm
Rabican,
You obviously don't need to be a cop. I would consider a change in career plans if I were you.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rabican

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 7:55pm
orolan wrote on Apr 24th, 2003 at 7:50pm:
Rabican,
You obviously don't need to be a cop. I would consider a change in career plans if I were you.

I have changed i have stoped smoking since i was arrested with a gram and changed my life alot and now i think i would make a good cop

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 8:19pm
Dear Rabican,

I believe that it will be hard if not impossible to truthfully get "how many times" you used any drugs with any accuracy.

Almost all law enforcement applications will have an extreme problem with an applicant who sold drugs.  There is no time limit or amount limit concerning being an illegal drug dealer.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rab

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 9:07pm
Hmmmmmm countermeasures is the only solution i guess  Undecided

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 12:58am
rab,
I don't see how you can lie your way through this if you have a drug possession arrest. If you have somehow gotten this far without your prospective employers finding out about the arrest, rest assured that they will find out at some point. And if they do already know about it, what do you have to lie about? In your case I can't condone the usage of countermeasures, and I doubt others will either.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rabican

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 1:51am
the arrest is ok, but dealing...........

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Shadow
User

Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men?
 The Shadow knows

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 5:16am
To "George Maschke (Guest)"  If this is the real George, you have really put a spin on the DoD report!

Quote:
The report goes on to clarify: 

Quote:There were 7,688 individuals whose polygraph examination results were evaluated as no significant response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive). The remaining 202 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information.  

This report makes it clear that the polygraph charts are not being used to determine whether individuals pass or fail: if the individual provides no "substantive information," then any physiological responses he/she may have shown to the relevant questions are deemed not to be significant, and the individual "passes." If the individual provides substantive information, then he/she "fails," regardless of polygraph chart readings, and further investigation is conducted by more conventional means

I may not be the smartest animal cracker in the box, but I don't see where the text states that the polygraph charts were not being used to pass or fail a person.
Quote:
There were 7,688 individuals whose polygraph examination results were evaluated as no significant response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive). The remaining 202 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information

The remaining 202 individuals yeilded SIGNIFICANT RESPONSES (I beleive that's a TES term for Failed the test)

Please correct me if I am wrong.  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 5:38am
Shadow,

I am indeed the one who originated this message thread. I don't mean to be flippant, but I suggest that you carefully re-read the first post in this thread.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Shadow
User

Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men?
 The Shadow knows

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 5:54pm
George, 

First off, I didn’t interpret your response as flippant.  I have re-read the post and I still don’t see your point.  You quoted the DoD Report as stating:
Quote:
Approximately 71 percent of our polygraph tests are conducted as a condition for access to certain positions or information under the DoD Counterintelligence-Scope Polygraph (CSP) Program. The DoD CSP Program is authorized by Public Law 100-180. The purpose of the CSP Program is to deter and detect activity involving espionage, sabotage, and terrorism. 

The DoD conducts CSP examinations on military personnel, DoD civilian employees, and DoD contractor personnel. Of the 7,890 individuals examined under the CSP Program in Fiscal Year 2000, 7,688 showed no significant physiological response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive) and provided no substantive information. The remaining 202 individuals provided substantive information. Of these 202 individuals, 194 received a favorable adjudication, three are still pending adjudication, five are pending investigation, and no one received adverse action denying or withholding access. [emphasis added]

I read it as the 202 individuals that provided substantive information were called SR by the examiner and provided the information when questioned about the SR results.  Would that not mean that the individual's charts were used to make the SR determination?  Could it be the 5 that are pending investigation provided no admissions and that is why they are under investigation?

I'm not taking sides here, just asking the question.  I await your response.  Until then, take care and be well.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 8:19pm
Shadow,

You write:

Quote:
I read it as the 202 individuals that provided substantive information were called SR by the examiner and provided the information when questioned about the SR results.

No. As the report makes clear, "The ... 202 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information." The "and/or" indicates that while some of the 202 yielded significant responses and provided significant information, others merely provided substantive information. The one feature all of the 202 had in common was that they provided "substantive information." That is what it took to "fail."

In addition, the claim in the report that "7,688 showed no significant physiological response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive) and provided no substantive information" is simply not credible. The only way one obtains such a low false positive rate (0%) is by deeming reactions to relevant questions as "insignificant" if the examinee provides no "substantive information." Which is precisely what it appears the DoD is doing.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2003 at 11:47pm
George and Shadow,

Now I'm confused. One quote indicates "The DoD conducts CSP examinations on military personnel, DoD civilian employees, and DoD contractor personnel. Of the 7,890 individuals examined under the CSP Program in Fiscal Year 2000, 7,688 showed no significant physiological response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive) and provided no substantive information. The remaining 202 individuals provided substantive information."
I also find another quote stating "There were 7,688 individuals whose polygraph examination results were evaluated as no significant response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive). The remaining 202 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information."
These appear to be discussing the same group of examinees, with a little added clarification in the second quote in regards to responses and information.
And then I read this quote "There were 8,494 individuals whose polygraph examination results were evaluated as no significant response to the relevant questions (non-deceptive). The remaining 290 individuals yielded significant responses and/or provided substantive information. " 
It seems that there are two different groups here. Any idea what is going on?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2003 at 12:48am
Orolan,

In the first message in this thread, I cited figures from DoD's polygraph report for FY 2000. In the second, I cited the report for FY 2001.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

How to Pass the DoD CI-Scope Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X