Normal Topic Breathing Question (Read 3082 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Breathing Question
Jan 7th, 2001 at 8:37am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
When establishing a normal breathing pattern, how many breaths a minute is normal?  Is the 3 second inhale and 3 second exhale about right?  I have heard of people failing their polygraphs because their breathing was too slow.  Could someone please let me know and any additional info reguarding pre-employment poly's would be greatly appriciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Re: Breathing Question
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2001 at 10:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ten breathing cycles (inhalation and exhalation) per minute would be on the slow end of what polygraphers consider "normal." In chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector we wrote regarding baseline breathing patterns:

Quote:
Your polygrapher will be happy if your breathing rate is between about 15 and 30 breaths per minute, or 2-4 seconds each. Pick a breathing rate within this range that is comfortable for you and take shallow--not deep--breaths. Each breath should be about the same length and well-rounded, that is, the transition between breathing in and breathing out should be gradual and not sudden, as with panting. Practice until it becomes second nature.

In Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph polygrapher James Allen Matte writes at p. 379:

Quote:
Normal breathing rate ranges from ten to twenty-four cycles per minute. Breathing rate below ten cycles per minute usually indicates that the breathing is under conscious control. Once the FP [forensic psychophysiologist, i.e., polygrapher] has established that any of the above behavior is deliberate, the subject should be admonished. If the subject persists with the countermeasure, the test should be terminated and a post-test interview should be conducted to resolve the matter.

For more on how to pass a polygraph "test," read Chapters 3 and 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector

Last modification: George Maschke - 01/07/01 at 02:35:36

IP Logged

Breathing Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X