Normal Topic Help with CT State Poly (Read 4848 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sluggo1246

Help with CT State Poly
Jan 4th, 2001 at 9:28pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm taking the CT state poly VERY soon and any help on what to expect would be appreciated (war stories and the like).  I have already read the 'Lie Behind the Lie Detector' and feel pretty comfortable with things, but I don't want any suprises.  Thanks!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beenthere

Re: Help with CT State Poly
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2001 at 1:24am
I went through the process about 4 yrs ago and I'll tell you it was HELL. First they sit you in a small room before you go and fill out a packet.
The packet is long and detailed, this is done for the sole purpose to get you to think of anything and everything you've done in your life time. It took me and the other 3 applicants 4 hours to fill out. Once finished a polygraph administrator sits down with you to review your packet. He/she will ask you for more detail on what ever question they want. My administrator harped on how many times I tried marijuana (2). I said to me that" he's been a trooper for 14 yrs and that he knows that people don't try marijuana 2 times. That lasted for 20 min. Then he continued on. When finished he returned to the marijuana question again and berated me again. Once he/she finished with the review they hook you up to a computer poly and ask you 16 questions. Ex: Is todays date????
are you with holding information about Drugs, sexual, employement questions. Once he/she is done then the exam is over. I finished up with the process and received a other qualified applicant letter. Since then I've been working for a police dept. on the East Coast  but will be dworking for a larger dept. on the West Coast. GOOD Luck. what ever you do stick with what you tell them and don't change your answer

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mike

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2001 at 5:26am

Quote:
I'm taking the CT state poly VERY soon and any help on what to expect would be appreciated (war stories and the like).  I have already read the 'Lie Behind the Lie Detector' and feel pretty comfortable with things, but I don't want any suprises.  Thanks!!

I just took that poly. I didn't find any secret way to beat it. I will tell you, dont lie. You dont need to. If your that bad of a person where you have something horrible to hide, I would say you shouldnt be in law enforcement. Its not what you did, its if your man enough and have good intergrity to admit to your wrongs. The trooper giving me the exam told me that they wouldn't hire anyone if everyone was perfect, meaning no one is perfect and everyone has things hidden in their past that their not proud of. You have to swallow your pride. Write back if you have any more questions. mklubek@unity.unity.edu

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate (Guest)

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2001 at 6:08pm
Mike, being completely honest on a polygraph will make you fail every time.  If you know anything about how the polygraph works you would know this.  If you answer completely honest on the control questions you will get inconclusive at best or fail as I did.  I spilled my guts and told them everything and I still failed the polygraph.  You have to lie on the control questions in order for the test work properly, thus the only people that pass the polygraph are the dishonest ones, and the ones that fail are actually the honest ones.  Study the polygraph and you will see what I mean.  I tried to tell the truth on my exam and the examiner would not let me because I wanted to tell the truth on the control questions.  He would not continue until I lied on the control questions.  All I did is reword the question in my head so that I did not lie but because I answered truthfully on a control question, I ended up failing because I told the truth. 

I must make a confession though.  A year before I took a polygraph for a police department.  I again spilled my guts and told them everything.  I passed with flying colors.  I was offered a job but turned them down to move to Virginia.  If I told the truth on the first test and passed, how could I have failed the second one?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gino J. Scalabrini (Guest)

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2001 at 11:33am
Quote:
If I told the truth on the first test and passed, how could I have failed the second one?

Nathan, this is a very good point.  The fact that so many people are polygraphed numerous times on the same issues with extremely disparate results is a tacit admission that the entire process is a fraud.  

One plausible explanation for your results is that the "lie-detector test" simply lacks validity.  As numerous research studies and anecdotal evidence have shown, the polygraph field as a whole is simply incompetent when it comes to reliably determining truth from deception.

Another possibility is that first agency that you were polygraphed for did not disqualify applicants based on polygraph results, and only used the device as an interrogation prop.  In this situation, all applicants who make no substantial admissions during the interrogation "pass" regardless of how the charts should be scored according to polygraph doctrine.  It has been said that the NSA uses the polygraph in this manner.  Keep in mind that a large number of agencies including the FBI, Secret Service, and DEA actually rely on polygraph charts and are well know to disqualify applicants based on these charts alone.

Mike, we are not saying that every single person who submits to a polygraph will be the victim of a false positive result.  We are just pointing out that even the most ethically conducted "test" is extremely unreliable and that the percentage of false positive results is quite high (likely exceeding 20%).  As with “Russian roulette,” while the odds of success may be favorable, the risk of disaster still remains unacceptable.

Last modification: Gino J. Scalabrini - 02/14/01 at 03:33:29

IP Logged

Help with CT State Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X