Normal Topic Screwed by my therapist.... (Read 4424 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe Cameron (Guest)

Screwed by my therapist....
Dec 20th, 2000 at 8:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi,
My name is Joe.  I was charged with indecent exposure in November of 1999.  Now I am in therapy in Tulsa under Randy Lopp.  He is who is recommended by the state, but I am not sure if I have to use him or not.  Anyway, he makes all of his clients take polygraphs to make sure we are telling the truth about our sexual past history.
It costs us $250 for a single polygraph.
I went in the first time and they said I passed the test.  Later they called me and said the test was inconclusive because my breathing was too slow.  So I retook the test and they said I flunked it.
We have guys in my group therapy who have taken the test 5-7 times and are going broke having to pay for it, and are not moving foreward in their therapy because of it.
I don't believe polygraphs are scientifically valid, there is too much evidence against them.
I am just someone who realizes I have some problems and want help.  I want therapy and want to move on in my life, but this polygraph thing is hindering that.
What can I do?
My probation officer won't tell me if I can use a therapist of my choice or not, she just gets angry and changes the subject.   
I could use some support about this, if anyone wants to contact me and talk you can e-mail me at jo_jitsu@hotmail.com

-TulsaJoe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George Maschke (Guest)

Re: Screwed by my therapist....
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2000 at 12:13am
Joe,

It sounds, based on your account, that you are indeed at liberty to choose a therapist other than Randy Lopp. Were you not at liberty to do so, your probation officer presumably would have said so, instead of becoming angry and changing the subject. Do you have a lawyer? If not, I think it would be wise to hire one, or at least make an appointment for a consultation and explore your options.

You are right about polygraphy not being scientifically valid. See chapter 1 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more. Continue reading, and it will help you understand why your polygrapher may have thought he saw signs of deception in your polygraph charts when you answered truthfully.   I'm particularly struck by what you were told about breathing too slowly. I've heard it before. It seems that many people "fail" their polygraph "tests" because they don't breathe as rapidly as their polygraphers think truthful people should. Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector explains in detail the trickery and dubious assumptions on which polygraphy depends, and Chapter 4 will teach you how to protect yourself against a false positive outcome the next time you are polygraphed, if it should come to that.

There seems to be nothing stopping you from choosing a different therapist, and you (and the others in your group) would be better off going to one who doesn't rely on the pseudoscience of polygraphy. I wish you all the best in your therapy, and in moving on in your life.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe Cameron (Guest)

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2000 at 2:05am
Dear George,
Thank you for the kind and timely response.
I am contacting my lawyer to find out for sure if
I am able to select a therapist of my choice, or if they have to be one selected by the county.
It is a horrible feeling to be told you are not being truthful, when I was more truthful with that polygrapher than I have been with most people I know.
Hopefully, though, I won't have to go through it again and will be able to find a therapist who doesn't use such unproven methods.
Also, I have started reading "the lie behind the lie detector" and it is very, very interesting.
I am going to copy it and give it to some friends in my group therapy before I leave.
thanks,
Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe Johnson

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 5:22pm
You are not the only one being screwed by Randy Lopp. Did you know in a meeting with him he bragged about discussing his patients at social gatherings. There is another treatment center in Tulsa that has better qualifications than Lopp, I believe that it is run by a Dr Inbody. Lopp still insists on admitting a habitual problem if none exists before he will commence treatment, this is no longer a requirement for treatment since an appeals court overturned that requirement but he still enforces it..My impression on Lopp is that he is kicking back money to someone in DOC to send him patients and tries to keep them in treatment to improve his cash flow without regard to whether they are getting any help with their problems. He also stated that he sees around 175 people a week, at $40 a head that is a sizable chunk of change. How exactly do you see 175 people in a 40 hour week and devote enough time to helping them solve their problems?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 7:33pm
Dr. Lopp also appears to be an "expert" on shoplifting, since he does group therapy for compulsive shoplifters Cheesy

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Screwed by my therapist....

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X