Normal Topic Former CIA Intel Cover Officer Andrew Bustamante Discusses the Recruitment Process (Read 203 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Whoa

Former CIA Intel Cover Officer Andrew Bustamante Discusses the Recruitment Process
May 9th, 2024 at 2:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Former CIA Intel Cover Officer Andrew Bustamante  Discusses the Recruitment Process
Do you agree with his assessment of the poly? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_tNYGWYPeM&t=390s

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Former CIA Intel Cover Officer Andrew Bustamante Discusses the Recruitment Process
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2024 at 8:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Bustamente is correct in saying that polygraphs (as used by the CIA) are "meant to identify sensitivities to certain types of questions." In the relevant/irrelevant technique used by the CIA and NSA, the polygraph operator looks for any "consistent, specific, and significant" reaction to any relevant question, and then interrogates about that.

But he seems to point to a false dichotomy wherein sensitivity to a kind of question "could be a sign of dishonesty, but it could also be a sign of vulnerability." It could also be other things.

Bustamente's discussion of beating a lie detector makes no sense to me. He says, "So when people talk about beating a lie detector, it's not that they're telling an effective lie. That's not hard. It's not hard to tell a lie to an interviewer. What -- and the interviewer doesn't care if you're being honest or not honest about a topic. What they're looking for is sensitivity. If they see no sensitivity, that's a big sign for them. That's a big sign that you're probably a pathological liar. If you show sensitivity to many things, then that's a sign that you're probably an anxious person..."

I don't know on what basis Bustamente claims that if the polygrapher sees no sensitivity, "that's a big sign that you're a pathological liar."

I note that after his brief discussion of polygraphs, he goes on to endorse the pseudoscientific Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment.

Overall, Bustamente strikes me as a self-promoting bullshit artist not unlike Tony Robbins.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Former CIA Intel Cover Officer Andrew Bustamante Discusses the Recruitment Process

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X