Normal Topic Was I recruited by spies? (Read 152 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dummy

Was I recruited by spies?
Apr 9th, 2024 at 11:22am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was going to post this question on Reddit to get more replies in maybe the /r/securityclearance subreddit, but that site is heavily censored and people are quick to insult anyone and everyone.  My Reddit accounts always get banned on when I create them with TOR and throwaway emails. So I will just post here and hope for the best.

I was fired from a defense contractor after getting a couple DUIs and they yanked my clearance.  I went to Hong Kong for vacation and some Chinese people reached out to me on social media.  I will note that I am very active on social media and have my full resume, travel photos and videos, and even livestream for followers.  I ended up meeting with some of my Chinese followers while there and they treated me to lunch and tea and wanted to talk about my previous work.  I only told them unclassified stuff of course.  When it was time to return to the states, they said to keep in touch and gave me some cash as a friendly gift.  Now these same people are asking about my career plans and if I plan to reenter the world of defense.

I'm in the U.S. now so I assume I could just block and ignore these people for good.  But then I wonder what if they have a recording of our unclassified tea-talks and them giving me money and will show this video to the feds if I ignore them?!  Is this spy recruitment, or am I just being paranoid and should forget about this and move on with my life?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Re: Was I recruited by spies?
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2024 at 6:38am
Considering that you no longer hold a security clearance and have little prospect of ever doing so again, it seems unlikely that you were recruited by spies. I see no reason to block and ignore your new friends.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dummy

Re: Was I recruited by spies?
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2024 at 1:55pm
Thanks for your reply.  I never said that I had "little prospect" of holding a security clearance again.  In fact, I may be going back into that field soon.  A couple DUI's don't ban you for life, it just suspends you for a period of time until you can mitigate the issue, which I think I did with treatment programs.

I guess I was being too paranoid.  This spy stuff never happens to me or anyone I know in real life.  I will likely rejoin the defense world soon but keep in touch with my friends from China who have lots of technical knowledge and can maybe even help me in my career.  You are right, there is no need to block them.  They can help me in my career.

I also found out that once I get my low-level Secret clearance, I may be upgraded to a Top Secret with polygraph later for more work . . . as long as I don't get any more DUIs.   I'm not sure how I should respond to the "foreign contacts" polygraph questions which may DQ me if I mention my paranoia about spies.  Maybe it is best that I deal with that later when the time comes.

IP Logged

Was I recruited by spies?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X