Normal Topic Counter-Measure variation (Read 1049 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SimonBrown
New User

Counter-Measure variation
Dec 4th, 2023 at 7:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey! When attempting CMs, such as the breathing techniques would it better to utilize a variety of different techniques, or consistently apply the same CM? For example, using blocking after every control question.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Counter-Measure variation
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 8:21pm
It might be better to use more than one breathing reaction on "control" questions to help avoid producing what the polygraph operator might interpret as "cookie cutter" reactions, that is, reactions that appear suspiciously alike.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 10:44pm
Thank you for the response. I failed a poly about month back telling the whole truth and since then I pretty much figured it was fake. I want to make sure I don't get another false fail, do you have any tips on how I can practice the CMs, which are best to apply etc? I have another polygraph coming up with the USSS, and I would prefer not to fail if I can help it. I read the book, and think it will help significantly. I also read when doing the breathing techniques it is better to pause slightly after each inhalation to get the "rounded" look on the charts. Is this accurate?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MentalCM

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2023 at 11:15pm
Use mental countermeasures (CMs) on each of the control questions.  Think of something disturbing or mentally ask yourself a question about a serious crime you committed that you were never caught for so that you produce a physiological reaction.  I did this and was able to beat a U.S. federal agency's poly, four times.   

I recommend mental CMs over breathing CMs because there are pneumatic tubes around your chest during the poly that monitor your breathing.  If you screw up the breathing CMs, the polygrapher might see it on his charts.  There is nothing to monitor your mental activity during the poly.

Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2023 at 6:29am
SimonBrown wrote on Dec 4th, 2023 at 10:44pm:
Thank you for the response. I failed a poly about month back telling the whole truth and since then I pretty much figured it was fake. I want to make sure I don't get another false fail, do you have any tips on how I can practice the CMs, which are best to apply etc? I have another polygraph coming up with the USSS, and I would prefer not to fail if I can help it. I read the book, and think it will help significantly.

There's not much more I could tell you that's not already included in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. You should be aware that the specific polygraph technique used by the U.S. Secret Service is the "Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test." You may wish to familiarize yourself with the administration guide for this technique:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/ncca-lepet.pdf

I am not aware that any particular countermeasure technique mentioned in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is more effective than the others, but my personal choice would be mental and breathing countermeasures. As the late Dr. Drew Richardson, who studied polygraphy while assigned to the FBI's Laboratory Division, noted, the respiratory tracings are the only ones that the subject can directly control, so it seems worthwhile to do so, both to exhibit scorable reactions on the "control" questions and to avoid producing such reactions on the relevant questions.

Quote:
I also read when doing the breathing techniques it is better to pause slightly after each inhalation to get the "rounded" look on the charts. Is this accurate?

This is something that the late Doug Williams recommended in his manual, "How to Sting the Polygraph." However, I don't think it's useful advice. There is no need to make any special effort to produce "rounded" tracings on the pneumo channels.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2023 at 8:26am
MentalCM could you possibly explain in more detail what I could think about and how I should time it? I really haven't done anything they would be looking for so I'm not sure I could use those thoughts to produce an reaction. 

Also, thank you again George I will look this over. I will also keep this forum updated with my results, I will be taking it this month. Hopefully I pass, but if not such is life. My plan is to utilize the breathing techniques, mix up my breathing reactions for each question and after performing each breathing reaction go through mathematics/anxious thoughts in my head. Also, I am contemplating recording the test covertly for the sake of it. I will keep you updated, please let me know if there is anything any of you think I should do.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MentalCM

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2023 at 10:37am
SimonBrown wrote on Dec 7th, 2023 at 8:26am:
MentalCM could you possibly explain in more detail what I could think about and how I should time it? I really haven't done anything they would be looking for so I'm not sure I could use those thoughts to produce an reaction.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can say that they never did something illegal.  There isn't much to explain here.  I have done many illegal things.  During each control question, I just asked myself about all the times I cheated my taxes, had sex in a public place (random girls from years back that no investigator would ever find), drove drunk, lied on a job application, or other naughty deeds that I did.   

If you are truly a saint who never broke the law, think about something that scares the crap out of you during each control question.  Then relax on the relevant questions which should be easy once you understand that those polygraphers cannot read your mind and are just digging for some sort of confession from you.

At the end, you will be interrogated.  The polygrapher will accuse you of lying and hiding information in hopes to extract one final confession from you.  Don't budge.  Deny everything.  Tell him nothing.  Do this and you will enter the kingdom of polygraph-passing-heaven.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2023 at 4:37pm
Haha, I'm liking my chances now honestly. Feel like I have prepped as much as I can. I look forward to it at this point, my worry is gone.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2023 at 4:48pm
SimonBrown wrote on Dec 7th, 2023 at 8:26am:
MentalCM could you possibly explain in more detail what I could think about and how I should time it?

I think that mental arithmetic, whether solving a math problem in one's head or picking an arbitrarily large number and counting backward by 7s as fast as one can, are good choices. They should be done as soon as one knows for sure that the question being asked is a "control" question.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2023 at 7:44pm
Not going to lie, I have a hard time doing both at the same time. Breathing control and counting backwards by 7. When I have practiced on control questions I typically have performed the breathing CM then right afterwards stop thinking about my breathing and do the mental arithmetic. Would that work? Additionally to expound on my previous question, when doing these different breathing CMs should I cycle through each breathing technique after each control question or stick to only two or three?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2023 at 9:14am
That you have a hard time performing both breathing countermeasures and mental countermeasures at the same time is not necessarily a bad thing. The point of mental countermeasures is to create a mental workload that produces physiological responses.

Research on polygraph countermeasures is limited, so I cannot offer definitive responses to your questions. However, if I were choosing breathing responses, I wouldn't cycle through all of the scoreable breathing reactions. Rather, I would choose one or two of them, and I would avoid the first one mentioned in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (suppression), as the federal polygraph school has taught (without proof) that this reaction is most commonly seen in deceptive subjects.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Counter-Measure variation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X