Normal Topic Accused Spy Joseph Daniel Schmidt May Have Revealed Information About Polygraph Practices (Read 491 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Accused Spy Joseph Daniel Schmidt May Have Revealed Information About Polygraph Practices
Oct 7th, 2023 at 10:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Joseph Daniel Schmidt, a former U.S. army interrogator and Chinese linguist assigned to the 109th Military Intelligence Battalion at Joint Base Lewis McChord in Washington State, has been indicted for alleged violation of the Espionage Act. He is charged with illegally retaining national defense information and attempting to deliver it to a person not authorized to receive it. Specifically, Schmidt is accused of attempting to provide national defense information to China.

Gary A. Warner reports for Stars and Stripes. Excerpt:

Quote:
A former Army sergeant last assigned at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington with a military intelligence unit with access to top secret documents was arrested Friday on charges of attempting to deliver national defense information to China, the U.S. Justice Department announced.

Joseph Daniel Schmidt, 29, was taken into custody by federal agents at San Francisco International Airport as he arrived on a commercial flight from Hong Kong.

The arrest is based on an indictment issued Oct. 3 by a federal grand jury in Seattle. It charges two felonies: Attempting to deliver national defense information and retention of national defense information. Each charge carries a punishment of up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Schmidt was stationed at Lewis-McChord from January 2015 to January 2020, according to FBI reports filed in the case. His primary assignment was the 109th Military Intelligence Battalion. In his role, Schmidt had access to “secret” and “top secret” information.

After Schmidt’s separation from the military in early 2020, he allegedly tried to contact the Chinese consulate in Turkey, according to the FBI report. He later tried to contact Chinese security services directly via email and offered national defense information to them.

In the indictment, the FBI provided examples of emails sent to the Chinese from Schmidt.

“My name is Joe Schmidt. I am a United States citizen looking to move to China. I currently reside in Istanbul and am trying to set up an appointment at the consulate in Istanbul,” Schmidt wrote to the Chinese consulate, according to federal officials.

Schmidt traveled in March 2020 to Hong Kong, where he continued efforts to provide Chinese intelligence services with classified documents obtained while he was serving at Lewis-McChord.

The FBI investigation said Schmidt retained a device that allows for access to secure military computer networks and offered the device to the Chinese to gain access to internal Defense Department networks.

Schmidt remained in China, primarily Hong Kong, until Friday when he flew to San Francisco.

A 21-page declaration by FBI Special Agent Brandon Tower mentions that Schmidt wrote a 23-page Microsoft Word document titled "High Level Secrets." Tower notes at p. 14 of his declaration:

Quote:
The remainder of the "High Level Secrets" document discussed SCHMIDT's training and experience in HUMINT collection; the functions and capabilities of U.S. HUMINT collectors; the curriculum and substance of various Army HUMINT training courses; and tradecraft used by U.S. HUMINT collectors, including information regarding surveillance detection routes, casing for meeting locations, source assessment, and operational testing....

The "operational testing" referred to here is presumably polygraph "testing" of intelligence sources, a common practice in the U.S. intelligence community. It would seem that whatever Schmidt knew about operational source testing has likely been compromised.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wormz

Re: Accused Spy Joseph Daniel Schmidt May Have Revealed Information About Polygraph Practices
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 1:34am
George W. Maschke wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 10:44am:

A 21-page declaration by FBI Special Agent Brandon Tower mentions that Schmidt wrote a 23-page Microsoft Word document titled "High Level Secrets."

It seems like the only illegal things that Schmidt did was storing those documents with classified information in his Apple iCloud account and sending emails.   I am sure Apple has AI that flags certain keywords and Apple reporting him to the FBI.  Those emails that he sent from his Gmail and Yahoo accounts were not classified but probably fall under the "attempted espionage" laws.   

His Google searches, which he must have conducted while logged into his Google account and having his search history saved, are not illegal, but are just additional red flags and pieces of evidence to ensure his conviction.   

Do you agree?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Accused Spy Joseph Daniel Schmidt May Have Revealed Information About Polygraph Practices
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 8:11am
As Special Agent Brandon Tower also notes in his declaration (at para. A):

Quote:
This affidavit is intended to show merely that there is probable cause for the requested warrant and does not set forth all of my knowledge about this matter.

It seems unlikely to me that Joseph Schmidt would have drafted the documents and sent the emails he did without following up on it. And considering that Schmidt lived in Hong Kong from March 2020 until his arrest at San Francisco International Airport earlier this month, he presumably had ample opportunity to pass on the information in the documents he drafted.

While Schmidt has not been criminally charged with actually delivering classified information to anyone, I think that it's prudent for policymakers to assume for now that the information he typed up was indeed provided to the Chinese government.

I expect that this case will end in a plea deal with Schmidt agreeing to be debriefed regarding, among other things, the time he spent in China. (I expect that his plea deal will also include an agreement to submit to polygraph "testing.")

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Accused Spy Joseph Daniel Schmidt May Have Revealed Information About Polygraph Practices

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X