Normal Topic Did Accused Navy Spies Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei Pass Polygraphs? (Read 696 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box usatoday

Did Accused Navy Spies Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei Pass Polygraphs?
Aug 4th, 2023 at 12:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George,

Can you verify if the security clearance level of the recently arrested and accused Chinese-American Navy spies Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei?   

Did they have TS/SCI clearance and if so did they pass polygraphs?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/08/03/navy-sailors-charged-espio...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Did Accused Navy Spies Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei Pass Polygraphs?
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2023 at 6:25am
According to their indictments, both Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei held only secret level security clearances. Thus, it seems unlikely that either of them would have been subject to polygraph screening.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box usatoday

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2023 at 6:50am
I appreciate this.  By the way, I do not work for USA Today.  I am a writer (maybe a famous news journalist, or maybe just a random blogger) on another platform, however.   

I oppose the polygraph because I know it is just an interrogation tool to extract confessions from people.  Unfortunately, in my circle, everyone has been brainwashed by the media to believing that the polygraph works and when I share my opinion about it I get backlash.  I have been lurking on Antipolygraph.org and other internet sites about the polygraph for a while.  To no surprise, I have been banned from Reddit, the late Federalsoup forum (now defunct), and others for speaking about about the polygraph.

Whenever someone has a job that required them to pass a thorough background check or a polygraph as terms of their employment, which is usually someone with a security clearance or in law enforcement, I dig into the story a bit.

Since this story has nothing to do with someone beating the polygraph while concealing criminal activity, I guess I will move on.  LOL.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2023 at 8:41am
I also look into espionage cases as they arise to see whether there might be a polygraph connection. One that I'm keeping an eye on is that of Alexander Yuk Ching Ma, a former CIA officer and FBI translator who is awaiting trial on espionage charges. That trial is presently scheduled to begin on 10 June 2024.

By the way, you're welcome to post in Reddit's r/AntiPolygraph subreddit.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box user2024

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2024 at 12:26am
Does anyone know exactly how Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei were caught?  I mean did the feds catch them taking pictures and/or in the act of receiving money?  How did they receive the money?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2024 at 4:55am
Quote:
Does anyone know exactly how Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei were caught?  I mean did the feds catch them taking pictures and/or in the act of receiving money?  How did they receive the money?

Both pled guilty, and the evidence that led to their apprehension has not been made public. However, there is a hint in the Wei indictment as to how they may have been discovered. At para. 8 it states:

Quote:
... In or about February 2022, when defendant JINCHAO WEI's espionage activities with Conspirator A [a Chinese intelligence officer] began, defendant JINCHAO WEI told another U.S. Navy sailor that he had been asked to spy for the PRC.

Perhaps this other U.S. Navy sailor reported the incident, launching the investigation.

I suspect that "Conspirator A" in both the Wei and Zhao cases is the same Chinese intelligence officer, and that electronic surveillance of Wei may have led to the identification of this officer, and subsequently, to the discovery that Zhao was also committing espionage.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2024 at 9:43am
George W. Maschke wrote on Jan 11th, 2024 at 4:55am:
and that electronic surveillance of Wei may have led to the identification of this officer, and subsequently, to the discovery that Zhao was also committing espionage.

Do you think that U.S. federal agents conducted electronic surveillance by monitoring Wei's emails, SMSs, and/or messaging apps?  I know U.S. email services like Gmail can be easily monitored by the government.  I would think that apps like WhatsApp, Signal, and Telegram's secret chat feature are all encrypted so the U.S. government could not see them unless the sender or recipient showed the messages to the government or some other third party.  Is that true?  Can the U.S. government monitor encrypted chat messages and if so, how?

The Chinese also use WeChat, which is not encrypted, but the data is stored on Chinese servers that I'm sure the U.S. government would never see . . . that is, unless they saw the messages on Wei or someone else's personal device located in the U.S.

Hmm . . . just how far can the U.S. government go to monitor someone's electronic devices?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2024 at 10:27am
Actually, I just found this:
https://therecord.media/fbi-document-shows-what-data-can-be-obtained-from-encryp...

It shows exactly what info the feds can get from messaging apps.  It looks like Telegram is the most secure and Signal is the second-most secure.  I guess Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei must have been using some other messaging service that was less secure.  Fools.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2024 at 11:02am
Quote:
Do you think that U.S. federal agents conducted electronic surveillance by monitoring Wei's emails, SMSs, and/or messaging apps?

I would expect that efforts were made to do all of these things.

Quote:
The Chinese also use WeChat, which is not encrypted, but the data is stored on Chinese servers that I'm sure the U.S. government would never see...

It's possible that the NSA has technical means of accessing WeChat's backend, but if so, I would expect that to be a closely-held secret, and I wouldn't expect indictments to include information that could lead to the discovery of that secret.

But there are other ways such information could be obtained. If information in the indictments is derived in part from WeChat transactions, such data may have been obtained from an unencrypted backup to iCloud or Google Drive, for example.

In addition, Kaspersky last year divulged that the last few generations of Apple chips include a hardware backdoor that Apple has not publicly documented. This backdoor was used in what Kaspersky has dubbed "Operation Triangulation." For more on this, see episode 955 of the Security Now podcast:

https://youtu.be/fJHzq4YOv68?si=QAXKSWVtaQYRyvLX&t=2080

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2024 at 11:03am
Quote:
Actually, I just found this:
https://therecord.media/fbi-document-shows-what-data-can-be-obtained-from-encryp...

It shows exactly what info the feds can get from messaging apps.  It looks like Telegram is the most secure and Signal is the second-most secure.  I guess Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei must have been using some other messaging service that was less secure.  Fools.

Telegram is not more secure than Signal. The opposite is true.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Did Accused Navy Spies Wenheng Zhao and Jinchao Wei Pass Polygraphs?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X