Normal Topic CM tips--truth wasn't enough, tilting the odds in my favor... (Read 266 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CarlBrutananadilewski
New User
*
Offline



Posts: 3
Joined: Jun 29th, 2022
CM tips--truth wasn't enough, tilting the odds in my favor...
Jul 13th, 2022 at 7:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Because being completely honest led to an 'inconclusive' poly result, consistent with how I have read that truthful people are at a disadvantage, I am now looking at interventions to tilt the odds more in my favor. 

Searching on the various forums, I have seen a number of people who recommend buying some home version “Lie Detector,” which they don't explain but usually seems to be just a GSR measure, and they describe the importance of 'practicing' their mental and physiological responses to an audio recording of a mock test they create.  There are a number of dead and very old links to these devices—any recommendations for a GSR device that is currently available and that has (relatively) good reviews and is under 200$?  Is it worthwhile to look for something that measures both GSR and temperature?

When creating the mock test to 'practice' the questions, using the Comparison Question format, from some dated materials and this forum, I have read the tests consist of anywhere from two relevant questions to fourteen relevant questions per test.  To best imitate real life and current practices, what is the most common number of relevant questions per test nowadays on that format, and corresponding with that number you offer, what would be the most common number of irrelevant and control questions?—I want to make sure I get my proportions right.

After reading TLBTLD several times, I just read Doug Williams' very brief Sting book, which did seem to have good information on breathing patterns I haven't seen in TLBTLD, on how to make sure your breathing doesn't appear controlled, with the jagged edge patterns.  However, he described the GSR response as unimportant, and said that it is controlled by your breathing and cardio responses, but I have read GSR described as the most important measure here in this forum, but haven't read of specific interventions for it.  For control questions, along with scary mental imagery of being devoured by large predators while hopelessly punching them in the face, slightly shallower breathing for 5 secs, I visualize my finger tips in molten lava and I can feel them pulse. Once I get a GSR device, I will see if that fingertip visualization actually registers.  Any thoughts on the importance of GSR in general compared to other measures and fingertip visualization (or other GSR intervention) in particular?

I have read some inconsistent information on the forum on mental imagery responses to Irrelevant questions.  Some people posting here stated they use the same relaxing mental imagery and breathing pattern for Irrelevant questions as they do for Relevant questions (assuming it isn't an R-I test), which doesn't make sense to me.  I would think that I would aim to have the very least response to Relevant, a mild response to Irrelevant (which I've read aren't scored), and a major response to Control questions.  I would think that my steady breathing pattern would be the same for Irrelevant as Relevant, but that I wouldn't use any relaxing mental imagery for Irrelevant questions—your thoughts?

Thanks in advance--CB.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator
*****
Offline


Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Posts: 6160
Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Joined: Sep 29th, 2000
Re: CM tips--truth wasn't enough, tilting the odds in my favor...
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 7:03am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
CarlBrutananadilewski wrote on Jul 13th, 2022 at 7:49pm:
Because being completely honest led to an 'inconclusive' poly result, consistent with how I have read that truthful people are at a disadvantage, I am now looking at interventions to tilt the odds more in my favor. 

Searching on the various forums, I have seen a number of people who recommend buying some home version “Lie Detector,” which they don't explain but usually seems to be just a GSR measure, and they describe the importance of 'practicing' their mental and physiological responses to an audio recording of a mock test they create.  There are a number of dead and very old links to these devices—any recommendations for a GSR device that is currently available and that has (relatively) good reviews and is under 200$?  Is it worthwhile to look for something that measures both GSR and temperature?


I am not able to recommend any such device. About a decade ago, I purchased a device marketed as a "USB Polygraph" by a company called Swamiware. But it was basically junk. The accompanying software was particularly bad.

Note that typical polygraph instruments do not measure the subject's body temperature.

Quote:
When creating the mock test to 'practice' the questions, using the Comparison Question format, from some dated materials and this forum, I have read the tests consist of anywhere from two relevant questions to fourteen relevant questions per test.  To best imitate real life and current practices, what is the most common number of relevant questions per test nowadays on that format, and corresponding with that number you offer, what would be the most common number of irrelevant and control questions?—I want to make sure I get my proportions right.


Based on your previous posts, I infer that you are facing post-conviction polygraph screening. The most commonly used technique used for this purpose seems to be the Air Force Modified General Question Test (AFMGQT). For details on this technique, see the associated administration guide.

Quote:
After reading TLBTLD several times, I just read Doug Williams' very brief Sting book, which did seem to have good information on breathing patterns I haven't seen in TLBTLD, on how to make sure your breathing doesn't appear controlled, with the jagged edge patterns.  However, he described the GSR response as unimportant, and said that it is controlled by your breathing and cardio responses, but I have read GSR described as the most important measure here in this forum, but haven't read of specific interventions for it.  For control questions, along with scary mental imagery of being devoured by large predators while hopelessly punching them in the face, slightly shallower breathing for 5 secs, I visualize my finger tips in molten lava and I can feel them pulse. Once I get a GSR device, I will see if that fingertip visualization actually registers.  Any thoughts on the importance of GSR in general compared to other measures and fingertip visualization (or other GSR intervention) in particular?


I do not think that persons practicing polygraph countermeasures need be concerned about jagged respiratory tracings. The GSR channel is not unimportant. It is not less important than the other channels.

Quote:
I have read some inconsistent information on the forum on mental imagery responses to Irrelevant questions.  Some people posting here stated they use the same relaxing mental imagery and breathing pattern for Irrelevant questions as they do for Relevant questions (assuming it isn't an R-I test), which doesn't make sense to me.  I would think that I would aim to have the very least response to Relevant, a mild response to Irrelevant (which I've read aren't scored), and a major response to Control questions.  I would think that my steady breathing pattern would be the same for Irrelevant as Relevant, but that I wouldn't use any relaxing mental imagery for Irrelevant questions—your thoughts?

Thanks in advance--CB.


Your notion that one would want to show a mild response to irrelevant questions is mistaken. Polygraph operators don't expect to see reactions to them, and to the extent that they do, they may interpret that as evidence of polygraph countermeasures.

Note that there is no research evidence on the effects of using relaxing mental imagery as a polygraph countermeasure.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2022 at 8:29am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
Back to top
IP Logged
 
CM tips--truth wasn't enough, tilting the odds in my favor...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight
                       
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb







Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X