Normal Topic Questions on counter measures (Read 1639 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LuciferAngel
New User

Questions on counter measures
Apr 19th, 2022 at 9:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a few questions regarding this.
1. If you use the breath hold technique during control questions (for all control questions) would it be likely to conclude that counter measures are being attempted?
2. Manifesting different thoughts in your head, does this help with polygraph reactions?
3. Baseline breathing- can I use this for relevant questions and some control questions? Or should it be constant? 
4. What are the best methods to incorporate to avoid detection?
5. What are common mistakes people using countermeasures make?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Questions on counter measures
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2022 at 4:44am
LuciferAngel wrote on Apr 19th, 2022 at 9:30pm:
1. If you use the breath hold technique during control questions (for all control questions) would it be likely to conclude that counter measures are being attempted?

Possibly. One technique used by polygraph operators in an attempt to detect countermeasures is to look for so-called "cookie cutter" responses. If the subject employs the same breathing technique for the same duration on each "control" question, countermeasures may be inferred.

Quote:
2. Manifesting different thoughts in your head, does this help with polygraph reactions?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
3. Baseline breathing- can I use this for relevant questions and some control questions? Or should it be constant?

Baseline breathing is best applied to relevant and irrelevant questions, reactions to which are not expected in truthful subjects. Failing to show a reaction to a "control" question may increase one's chances of failing.

Quote:
4. What are the best methods to incorporate to avoid detection?

Bear in mind that no polygraph operator has ever demonstrated any ability to detect the kinds of countermeasures outlined in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. We address counter-countermeasure techniques of which you should be aware in Chapter 4, at pp. 165-67 of the 5th edition.

Quote:
5. What are common mistakes people using countermeasures make?

To my knowledge, there is no research on this question. But I suspect that one common mistake is to attempt countermeasures without understanding polygraph procedure.

AntiPolygraph.org has received dozens of U.S. government "confirmed countermeasure cases" where the subject admitted to having attempted countermeasures. Almost all of these cases involved individuals who didn't understand polygraph procedure or effective countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 10:10pm
I appreciate your response in answering. I do have a few other questions I'd like clarification on.

1. Would you say it would be good idea to mix this up so for a few control questions use apnea block, and say for some others use decrease in amplitude? 

2. Example Rephrasing a question in your mind: "Have you stolen $500 today." on the relevant questions.

3. Based off my understanding of spot its dependent on my score and the cut offs are different for departments, so a negative spot score on 1 question or 2 may not be grounds for DI?

4. If I produce strong reactions on control questions for pneumographic, but not cardiogram and cardiogram is higher on reaction questions would this be given a -1 for cardiogram for the spot score?

5. How is the Cardio Reactions scored/ weighed? Are they weighed more than respiratory reactions?

6. When maintaining baseline, if I have to take a little bit more of a breath to get air, but return back to baseline how would this be looked at from the examiners perspective?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2022 at 10:54am
LuciferAngel wrote on Apr 21st, 2022 at 10:10pm:
1. Would you say it would be good idea to mix this up so for a few control questions use apnea block, and say for some others use decrease in amplitude?

There is no research on this, and I can only speculate that it might not hurt.

Quote:
2. Example Rephrasing a question in your mind: "Have you stolen $500 today." on the relevant questions.

I infer that you're asking whether mental disassociation is advisable as a countermeasure. I have seen no evidence that it is effective.

Quote:
3. Based off my understanding of spot its dependent on my score and the cut offs are different for departments, so a negative spot score on 1 question or 2 may not be grounds for DI?

According to the administration guide for the federal Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test (LEPET): "In order to make a determination of No Significant Response (NSR), each separate spot total must be a plus three (+3) or greater. To make a determination of Significant Response (SR), at least one spot total must be minus three (-3) or les (-4, -5, etc.)."

Quote:
4. If I produce strong reactions on control questions for pneumographic, but not cardiogram and cardiogram is higher on reaction questions would this be given a -1 for cardiogram for the spot score?

I infer that by "reaction questions" you meant relevant questions. The numerical score given to any reaction on any particular channel will depend on its size and duration, as interpreted by the polygraph operator. For more on polygraph chart-scoring protocols, see the NCCA document, "TEST DATA ANALYSIS: Numerical Evaluation Scoring System Pamphlet."

Quote:
5. How is the Cardio Reactions scored/ weighed? Are they weighed more than respiratory reactions?

See the previously mentioned document, which has a section on cardio reactions beginning at p. 32. Cardio reactions are not weighted more than respiratory ones. (The pneumo channel counts as a single channel, even though there are typically two pneumograph tubes.)

Quote:
6. When maintaining baseline, if I have to take a little bit more of a breath to get air, but return back to baseline how would this be looked at from the examiners perspective?

Maintaining one's baseline breathing rate should not result in one becoming out of breath. Any deep breathing may be (wrongly) interpreted as an attempted countermeasure.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 4:46pm
Thank you once again for you replies they are very helpful!

After re reading the book several times I think im in a good spot, but just need some more clarification. 

When going through the pre interview for the control questions should I be saying no to all of them or say yes and have them narrowed down until I can say no? 

During the stim test/ACQT do I produce a reaction to the number I picked only?

The only difference in the directed lie test and probable lie test is that the control questions are known and you are told to lie on them?

Do I do the breathing countermeasure first, then the cardio countermeasures?\

How to properly do Apena Blocking? Is it after I answer the question or before/during/after ex: Hold-Answer-Hold- return to baseline.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2022 at 4:33am
LuciferAngel wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 4:46pm:
When going through the pre interview for the control questions should I be saying no to all of them or say yes and have them narrowed down until I can say no?

We address this question at p. 134 of the current edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Quote:
During the stim test/ACQT do I produce a reaction to the number I picked only?

We address this at p. 159. Why would you want to produce a reaction to any other number?

Quote:
The only difference in the directed lie test and probable lie test is that the control questions are known and you are told to lie on them?

That is correct as far as countermeasure strategies are concerned.

Quote:
Do I do the breathing countermeasure first, then the cardio countermeasures?

In order to be scored, reactions must begin within seconds of asking of the associated question. So it's prudent to commence any countermeasures as soon as possible.

Quote:
How to properly do Apena Blocking? Is it after I answer the question or before/during/after ex: Hold-Answer-Hold- return to baseline.

I don't have a recommendation on this.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Questions on counter measures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X