Normal Topic Under investigation. Questions about taking voluntary polygraph and communicating by "drafting." (Read 1092 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box whitecollar

Under investigation. Questions about taking voluntary polygraph and communicating by "drafting."
Jul 4th, 2021 at 1:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am currently under investigation in the U.S. for money laundering and racketeering.  I suspect that I am under physical surveillance and that my phone calls and emails are being monitored.  The state police have asked me to take a voluntary polygraph as part of their investigation.  I have not been arrested or charged yet but I feel like that moment is coming.   

Should I take the polygraph or refuse?  I have beaten polygraphs in the past and after researching this site I am sure I can beat it again.  By beating the poly, will it clear my name so these LE guys can get off my back?

I need to communicate with some people and since my phone calls and emails are being monitored, I want to know if anyone can give advice on a technique known as "drafting."  The way drafting works is that me and the others I need to communicate with would have an anonymous email account that we would set up, maybe Protonmail or Yandex, and share the password.  We would only ever access it through Tor and save emails as drafts for each other to read and then delete them.  We would never actually send the emails.  Email providers don't store draft emails on their servers, and even if they did, Protonmail and Yandex are not U.S. companies.  Can anyone comment on how successful drafting is?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Under investigation. Questions about taking voluntary polygraph and communicating by "drafting."
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 3:20pm
Quote:
I am currently under investigation in the U.S. for money laundering and racketeering.  I suspect that I am under physical surveillance and that my phone calls and emails are being monitored.  The state police have asked me to take a voluntary polygraph as part of their investigation.  I have not been arrested or charged yet but I feel like that moment is coming.  

Should I take the polygraph or refuse?

You are well-advised to refuse the polygraph, to secure legal counsel, and to not speak further with the state police without your lawyer present. You may wish to have your lawyer communicate your refusal to be polygraphed.

As used by police, a polygraph "test" is often little more than a pretext for interrogating a suspect without a lawyer present. The suspect's "failing" the "test" may be part of the interrogation plan.

Quote:
I have beaten polygraphs in the past and after researching this site I am sure I can beat it again.  By beating the poly, will it clear my name so these LE guys can get off my back?

If the police have credible evidence against you, beating the polygraph is unlikely to end their investigation.

Quote:
I need to communicate with some people and since my phone calls and emails are being monitored, I want to know if anyone can give advice on a technique known as "drafting."  The way drafting works is that me and the others I need to communicate with would have an anonymous email account that we would set up, maybe Protonmail or Yandex, and share the password.  We would only ever access it through Tor and save emails as drafts for each other to read and then delete them.  We would never actually send the emails.  Email providers don't store draft emails on their servers, and even if they did, Protonmail and Yandex are not U.S. companies.  Can anyone comment on how successful drafting is?

I don't care to advise you on how to communicate securely, but I note that the drafting technique you mention was used unsuccessfully by former CIA director David Petraeus and his mistress, Paula Broadwell:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/11/12/heres-the-e-mail-tr...

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box whitecollar

Re: Under investigation. Questions about taking voluntary polygraph and communicating by "drafting."
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2021 at 12:55am
I appreciate the prompt response, George Maschke.  The only reason David Petraeus and Paula Broadwell were caught is because they, or maybe just Ms. Broadwell, did not mask their real IP addresses.  Broadwell's IP and emails were already being monitored by the feds based on some threatening emails that Broadwell sent Jill Kelly.  Therefore, when Broadwell logged into the anonymous drafting Gmail account with her real IP, the FBI simply matched up that IP to her and got a subpoena to monitor the drafting Gmail account, which had the same user login IP address, as well.  This coupled with the fact that Google is a U.S.-based company with Gmail servers in the U.S. so the FBI can take legal action to monitor Gmail accounts as necessary.  If Petraeus and Broadwell had used Tor, and only Tor, to create and access an anonymous drafting email account, they would have gotten away with it.

Usually people who get caught from their communications are caught because they did not take the proper precautions to ensure anonymity. I remember this story of a Harvard college student, Eldo Kim, who sent bomb threats through Tor.  It was not Tor that failed.  It was Kim who confessed when the police questioned him.  He was the only one using Tor on his campus and the police suspected that the campus bomb threats came from someone on the campus, so he was the prime suspect.  Law Enforcement can find out if someone is using Tor, but they have no idea what that person is doing on Tor.  If Kim had not confessed, he would have gotten away with it.

I will probably reject the idea of taking that polygraph based on your advice.  It seems it would do more harm than good.  I like your point that if the police have credible evidence, the polygraph will not help me, pass or fail.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box troll_of_truth
User

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 2:25pm
Drafting works.  It has been used for decades and is very effective. Just don't do anything stupid like create or login to the anonymous shared email account with your real IP address.  Do not even store a bookmark, the anonymous email account, or the password anywhere on your computer in case the feds seize your electronics.  You will have to remember this info.  Create an email account, ProtonMail and Yandex are good, using Tor, that in no way relates to your other personal usernames or email address.   

If you create and only access the account with Tor, create drafts and never send the email, then you will be fine.  Many criminals communicate like this.  People only get caught when they slip up and forget to use Tor thus exposing their real email address.

Regarding your polygraph, I agree with George.  Deny the request.  A polygraph will never help you in a criminal investigation.  Let the police and prosecutors do all the digging on their own and don't talk to them or help them at all.  The fact that you have not yet been arrested and charged, and that they are asking you to take a poly, means they probably don't have enough evidence against you and you may get away with it.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Under investigation. Questions about taking voluntary polygraph and communicating by "drafting."

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X