Normal Topic Neurofeedback training (Read 941 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Frank M

Neurofeedback training
Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Is there any data, evidence, or reason to believe that a person who receives neurofeedback training could manipulate poly results? Neurofeedback training claims that after training a subject can consciously alter their brainwave activity, as it relates to stress responses, and by extension heartrate and breathing. It would seem that, if this is true, you could ask this person any question you wish, and they could provide the correct stress responses as they chose for each question, or better yet, simply flatline the entire examination.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Neurofeedback training
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 8:09am
Little research has been done on this question. However, the late David T. Lykken, at p. 274 of the 2nd edition of A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector writes:

Quote:
During the 1960s, my university accepted a secret research contract from the Air Force to study the effectiveness of countermeasures against lie detection. My job in this project was to train the experimental subjects. They practiced controlling their responses to my questions while observing their own reactions on the polygraph—the technique now known as "biofeedback." When I thought they were prepared, I would send them on to the chief of our university police department, a polygraph examiner of long experience, who would administer a formal lie test. This work had just gotten well under way when a new university president cancelled all secret research contracts, including ours. (I never understood why the Air Force insisted o the "secret" classification, since the only thing about our project that could really be kept secret was the source of the funding.) But we had gone far enough by then to convince me that some people could learn to attenuate their relevant responses and beat the lie detector in that fashion—but that it is very difficult for most people and probably impossible for many.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Frank M

Re: Neurofeedback training
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 5:26pm
This seems worth some looking into. The technology is quite farther advanced. These devices are available for under 300 dollars that show brainwave activity, heart rate, breathing, and show in real time what is happening in response to stimulus. These companies have a business built around doing just what this researcher was talking about although for anxiety control not polygraph control. And the polygraph basically reads anxiety if I'm not mistaken. Some of these devices work off an app with a teacher reading results and doing the training remotely. I have no idea if this is true, but there are many psychiatrists now offering this type of training. I wonder if the benefits could cross over. At the very least it could help avoid the false positives that we are concerned about here by calming down the examinee.

IP Logged

Neurofeedback training

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X