Normal Topic I think I failed my poly (Read 3948 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ocelot

I think I failed my poly
Nov 22nd, 2019 at 9:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I just took a poly for a LEO position. Everyone I told about my upcoming poly told me it was BS and I went online and read the usual tricks but felt like I didn't need any of them so I'm a calm person and actually haven't done much that needed lies.

So here's where I think I failed. The proctor I got was a very nice older gentleman. He fed me the story that he doesn't believe in experiences but rather evolution so he felt like things we've done in our past shouldn't define in our future. Sounded good to me at the time because it made perfect sense.

He told me the test wasn't accurate and he's had to fail people that were probably telling the truth but were nervous so he wanted to get to know me a bit to calm me down. Again, this was going way better than I expected.

Here's where it hit me after the test that I think I failed. As you probably all know any LE agency looks down on hallucinogenic drug usage. The proctor asked me if I had done illegal drugs in the past (before I was hooked up to the machine) and if I said it off the record when he asks me about it during the test he would ask me in a way that will cover what I told him so I wouldn't be lying to the machine.

Again this sounded perfect and made sense at the time. I admitted I have done shrooms and LSD one time when I was 16/17 years old which was 12 years ago. I told him that was all and I have not done anything since (not even smoke marijuana).

When I took the test he told me I passed except for one slight hiccup about theft. I told him I thought about illegally downloading movies and if that was considered stealing. He said he understand and accepts the justification but still needs to ask quality control to approve it but I will most likely pass.

He said if I didn't get a call in a couple of days to come back in for another poly I can consider myself passed. Now this is where it hit me a couple of days later. He wrote down the LSD and shrooms usage. If this gets back to my background investigator I'm going to get disqualified. 

I think the proctor played me. Anyway, I've already accepted the fact that I am most likely going to fail.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Re: I think I failed my poly
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 8:42pm
Quote:
I admitted I have done shrooms and LSD one time when I was 16/17 years old which was 12 years ago.

Aunty is unable to comprehend why the hell you would do that. 

If you don't want your BI to know this, then you omit it from your application, you never tell anybody about it, and you hope that your BI doesn't stumble upon it. You do *not* keep it secret until the perfect moment when it can do the greatest damage to your career and then reveal it to the person who has the most to gain if you go down as a liar. 

Quote:
...I went online and read the usual tricks but felt like I didn't need any of them [as] I'm a calm person and actually haven't done much that needed lies.

Aunty hastens to point out that "not much" is not the same as "nothing". A polygrapher does not need to find "much" to satisfy his purposes, just more than "nothing". And nobody is guilty of "nothing". 

In your case, the "[not] much that needed lies" includes doing shrooms and LSD and illegally downloading movies. These things have become a huge problem for you, not because they are in any way serious, but because you did not previously reveal them. 

Quote:
The proctor...fed me the story that he doesn't believe in experiences but rather evolution so he felt like things we've done in our past shouldn't define our future. Sounded good to me at the time because it made perfect sense.

Most bullshit sounds like it makes perfect sense. Otherwise it's so stupid that no one would believe it. 

If you had gone in with the proper mindset you would have immediately asked if his machine could detect whether you were likely to lie in the future. 

Stories like yours fill Aunty with the same helpless despair she feels watching her six-year-old drop a heavy rock on his foot to see what happens: yes you got hurt but you should have known better. 

Quote:
Everyone I told about my upcoming poly told me it was BS...

Didn't any of them tell you about George Maschke, Doug Williams, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, or the AntiPolygraph.org Message Board on this site? 

If you had read a little more thoroughly, instead of just assuming such resources were all about "the usual tricks", you would have learned that polygraphers rely on admissions, however benign, that differ from the subject's previous declarations. An admission does not have to be heinous to be destructive, it only has to be not previously on record
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2019 at 9:34pm by Aunty Agony »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ocelot
New User

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 9:25pm
Thanks for the reply and honestly I blame my father. He told me if I lie about anything I was going to fail so when this guy gave me a way out I took it. 

At least I have experience with the polygraph now and can see the proctor is the actual lie detector and not the machine. I'm going to apply to a different department now that I know.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 1:18am
Ocelot wrote on Nov 23rd, 2019 at 9:25pm:
I'm going to apply to a different department now that I know.

One of the questions you may be asked is "Have you ever failed, or refused, a polygraph test?" You will have to decide what you are going to say about that. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rome
User

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2019 at 4:58am
Ocelot
Here is a tip if you apply to other agencies. You will most likely be asked about other agencies you've applied to.  If you disclose this agency, chances are they will talk during the background phase. So you'll have to make anything you say about your background matches up.   

As Aunty Agony said, coaxing admissions is a big thing they are after. It's the one thing that is indisputable. 

Having said that, you are not dead on arrival when you apply to another agency.  Just get your story straight and stick to it from day 1, no matter what.  You have a little dirt on you. Nothing wrong with that.  Just be consistent with your next try.

IP Logged

I think I failed my poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X