Normal Topic Pre employment poly (Read 4762 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box prepoly123

Pre employment poly
Apr 3rd, 2019 at 6:39am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Took a pre employment poly recently that was unlike any of the types of polygraphs I've seen described on this site. Essentially I was asked about a dozen questions that all started with Have you withheld any information about X with X being things like illegal drug use, drinking, being involved in an unreported crime, etc. Before being asked the questions I went over them and was honest about each one and confessed to various things, my record is super clean and I've never done any drugs or really anything that bad. I was asked the questions well hooked up, then asked them again in a random order. The examiner then reviewed the charts and said if they were not readable we would do a 3rd chart. He came back in and said I was good to go, and that the results would be sent to my potential employer within 5 business days and I would hear from them if they had any questions. I shook his hand, thanked him and left.

Only other thing of note was the poly machine itself, looked older and was in a briefcase, no computer in the room. My potential employer had me schedule the poly and drug testing along with another day for fingerprinting, a web check, and a tour of the place I,ll be working in which I do tomorrow. Seems odd to me they would have me schedule all of this without at least passing the drug testing first. I interviewed very strongly and they definitely liked me a lot. This is for a corrections officer job. 

I feel like I definitely had a strong reaction to some of the questions where I confessed to things beforehand, I could feel my own heart rate change, I was definitely overthinking some of the questions and for this reason I'm worried I failed. I've never done a polygraph before and didn't do much research beforehand, overall it was an incredibly stressful experience.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Pre employment poly
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 7:31am
The absence of any post-test interrogation strongly suggests that you passed. Hopefully, you'll be hearing good news soon.

If you could list all of the specific questions that you recall being asked while hooked up to the polygraph, I might be able to tell you more about the technique that was employed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:53pm
There were about 12, every question begin with the following, Have you withheld any information about X. X was things like any sexual misconduct that would disqualify you from this position, any involvement in an unreported crime, about my current address, about any drug use, about any gambling issues, about anything ive stolen from the workplace. It was all the same question just about different subjects, I was expected to answer no each time.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:38pm
@ George W. Maschke

Is a post test interrogation always part of the polygraph even with a pre employment poly? You're response has me optimistic but I definitely feel like some of the questions spiked my heart rate.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:38pm
Without knowing more of the questions that were asked, I can't exclude the possibility that it was a probable-lie "control" question "test," but it sounds like it might have been relevant/irrelevant.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:49pm
@ George W. Maschke

From what I've read it indeed does sound like it was a probable lie control question test. Is a post test interrogation always a part of the poly if you show any signs of deception?

Thank you for the input.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:53pm
Quote:
Is a post test interrogation always a part of the poly if you show any signs of deception?

Pretty much. To be sure, the polygraph does not actually measure signs of deception. It measures breathing, skin conductivity, heart rate, and something sort of like blood pressure. None of these indices have been shown to be systematically correlated with deception.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:48am
@ George W. Maschke

Something else I am curious about, does the examiner measure your reaction to when the question is being asked, when you actually give your answer, or both? I only ask because I feel like the strong reactions I had were to the questions being asked, not from the answer I was giving.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 8:14am
Polygraph operators focus on reactions occurring within what they term a "response onset window" that begins with the asking of the question. According to Section 3.6 of the August 2017 edition of the National Center for Credibility Assessment document, "Test Data Analysis":

Quote:
3.6. Response timeliness is a critical data analysis consideration. There are defined time windows for each recording channel in which we would predict an examinee to begin to manifest some physiological response to the stimulus (question or answer) presented. This time window is referred to as the response onset window.  Responses commencing beyond the standard time windows become suspect and should not be evaluated.

3.6.1. The response onset window for each respiration channel, of which there are two, is from stimulus onset to one complete respiration cycle past the examinee’s answer cycle.

113.6.2. The response onset window for the ED [electrodermal] and CV [cardiovascular] channel is from stimulus onset to five seconds beyond the examinee’s answer.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Pre employment poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X