Normal Topic Polygraph "Testing" and the Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearings (Read 6124 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Polygraph "Testing" and the Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearings
Oct 3rd, 2018 at 2:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

Christine Blasey Ford Undergoing a Polygraph "Test"

As most readers will be aware, polygraphy has been in the news recently with respect to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee's confirmation hearings for Judge Brett Kavanaugh, whom President Trump has appointed to replace Judge Kennedy on the United States Supreme Court.

Christine Blasey Ford, a professor of psychology at Palo Alto University in California, has accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her at a social gathering when she was 15 years old and Kavanaugh was 17. At her lawyers' behest, Blasey Ford took and passed a polygraph examination conducted by retired FBI special agent and polygraph operator Jeremiah "Jerry" Hanafin of Arlington, Virginia.

Hanafin administered a Federal You-Phase Zone Comparison Test (ZCT), a procedure with two relevant questions that is documented in chapter 9 of the federal polygraph handbook, and Dr. Ford reportedly passed. Hanafin's report has been submitted to the Senate Judiciary Committee, but thus far the audio/video recording, charts, and associated documentation, including the computer data file, which the Committee has requested, have not been provided.

As discussed earlier on the AntiPolygraph.org Podcast, I think that Dr. Ford's lawyers did her a disservice by encouraging her to take a polygraph "test," thereby associating her serious allegations with a pseudoscientific, fraudulent procedure.

During Senate testimony last week, Dr. Ford was asked specific questions about the polygraph, including whether she had offered guidance to anyone else on polygraphs:

Quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2018/09/27/kavanaugh-hearing-tra...

MITCHELL: Have you ever had discussions with anyone, beside your attorneys, on how to take a polygraph?

FORD: Never.

MITCHELL: And I don’t just mean countermeasures, but I mean just any sort of tips, or anything like that.

FORD: No. I was scared of the test itself, but was comfortable that I could tell the information, and the test would reveal whatever it was going to reveal. I didn’t expect it to be as long as it was going to be, so it was a little bit stressful.

MITCHELL: Had — have you ever given tips or advice to somebody who was looking to take a polygraph test?

FORD: Never.

Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committee published a letter by a self-described former boyfriend of Dr. Blasey Ford in which he claims that contrary to her Senate testimony, she did in fact help someone prepare for a polygraph examination. The letter states in relevant part:

Quote:

During the time we were dating, Dr. Ford lived with Monica L. McLean, who I understood to be her life-long best friend. During that time, it was my understanding that McLean was interviewing for jobs with the FBI and the US Attorney’s Office. I witnessed Dr. Ford help McLean prepare for a potential polygraph exam. Dr. Ford explained in detail what to expect, how polygraphs worked and helped McLean become familiar and less nervous about the exam. Dr. Ford was able to help because of her background in psychology.

If the alleged former boyfriend's allegation is true, then Dr. Blasey Ford's denial that she "ever given tips or advice to somebody who was looking to take a polygraph test" was not true, and far from helping her credibility, her having taken a polygraph and offered it as evidence of her truthfulness will end up hurting her credibility.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Polygraph "Testing" and the Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearings
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 3:32pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Fox News reports that Monica McLean denies that Christine Blasey Ford or anyone else ever assisted her with any polygraph exam. Excerpt:

Quote:
On Wednesday, McClean put out a brief statement denying the claim.

“I have NEVER had Christine Blasey Ford, or anybody else, prepare me, or provide any other type of assistance whatsoever in connection with any polygraph exam I have taken at anytime,” McClean said.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Polygraph "Testing" and the Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearings

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X