Normal Topic Another CBT PolyGraph Fail (Read 4264 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Metal454

Another CBT PolyGraph Fail
Apr 22nd, 2017 at 9:46pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I came across this board, while searching for information on the CBT Polygraph test. I had my polygraph last year, and thought I would share my experience as 5,000 new agents are to be hired over the next few years. I had began the CBT hiring process in 2015, and knew from others that it takes a while. After many months of going back and forth for the physical (out of state), Medical Records ($50), and taking time off work for the health evaluation I was to begin the background process. 

I got a call form the hiring center in Minneapolis, Minnesota and they scheduled me for my polygraph exam. I was scheduled to take the polygraph exam in San Diego, (100 Miles) from where I live, at 8 am in the morning. This was the closest "testing center" they had, the other one was in Phoenix, Arizona. I wake up early and drive to the location arriving 30 minutes before my set time. The so called "testing center" was a rented office, in an office building. There were lawyers, business people, accountants and others coming in and out of the building. I took the elevator to the floor where the room was located and approached the receptionist who worked the level. I let them know who I was, and instantly a man turned around who happened to be staring out the window looking down came my way. He told me to use the restroom, and come back when you are ready to begin. Used the restroom, went to the room, and sat down. I was not nervous, just unsure of what to expect.

This is where it begins. He parks the chair right next to his desk, telling me to sit down. He turns on the camera and microphone and begins recording my every move. Before we can begin as he said, I needed to sign these papers he had on his table. I agreed and began reading them, as I was always taught never sign without reading it first. He became upset at that moment saying "you do not have to take this test, you do not have to be here." He adjusted his seat and made it seem like I was wasting his time. I was able to read them briefly, signing my name and he began with the basic questions and how the test works. He had a lot of information to share, and did not want you looking anywhere but his eyes while he informed you. He became upset/enraged when I broke eye contact with him for just a second. For 10 minutes I was staring into his eyes, listening to what he was saying. He told me to sit down, in this basic chair that had pressure pads on the seat and floor for your feet. He hooked me up to the device, and attached the blood pressure cuff to my arm. Now at this point it seemed like I was okay with my examiner, he seemed decent and not a horror story like that others. 

Any little internal bodily movement came up on his machine, which made him more upset. He added more pressure to the cuff, and would not adjust it as that would affect the readings. The cuff was so tight, it began to cut off circulation to my left arm. Veins/arteries began to pop out, and arm began to loose color. As he got the stable base readings which took 5 mins I began to loose consciousness, he began asking simple questions but again due to prolonged blood restriction I could hear my heart throbbing in my eardrums. I made it through the first 3 questions, and he stopped. He then informed that I was lying when it came to the "getting this job to further drug operations question." Now I have never ever done drugs in my life, I have never ever seem them! He then repeated these 3 questions for another 1, getting angry that I was holding something from him. On the verge of passing out, I answered the question over and over again but he kept at it saying I was lying. He then told me take a break. He grew angry at me, for appearing to be "dehydrated." He made me go downstairs eat something, and purchase a water before I could come back and try again. I was not hungry or "dehydrated" at all, but after almost 1 and a half years of this process I figured, I will just try to get something into my stomach. I came back and waited in the chair, then entered the room. I was hooked back up to this so called machine and asked the same 3 questions again, failing the 3rd question again. It was now 11am, and we had not moved passed the 3rd question. He was getting angry/fed up with me. He told me to just be honest, he wanted me to confess to this drug use/smuggling so we could continue the test. All I had to do was be honest and confess so we could move along, and could begin my career as a federal agent. Again I have never EVER done drugs in my life. A confession was all that was needed, so I could get this job is basically how he put it. I told him no, that I would not confess to that, as I had never EVER done such a thing!!!!

Three hours later I was just drained and dreading the pressure cuff as it really hurt my arm and gave me a headache. He asked if I wanted to try again, I let him know that there was no point. If 3 questions took 3 hours, what would the rest of the test take? I was done, I informed him that his machine was just junk science, and inaccurate. He grew angry defending it instantly, he said I could call him on my way home to confess and I would get another chance at it. I let him know, that it was not worth my time. I would never confess to a crime I did not do, in order to be hired as an agent by the government and I stand by that. A few weeks later, I got the email informing me that I was no longer in the process.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Evan S
Senior User

Re: Another CBT PolyGraph Fail
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 11:21pm
I assume you mean CBP not CBT.

CBP has an office in Minneapolis.

CBT stands for "cognitive behavioral therapy."  Maybe in view of your problematic pre-employment polygraph, you'll need some CBT.  Just kidding.  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 12:16am
Quote:
He then informed that I was lying when it came to the "getting this job to further drug operations question.

What you experienced was an interrogation, not a polygraph exam. A true polygraph exam does not allow for the "failing" of individual questions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Metal454

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 1:47am
CBP! For Customs and Border Protection! 
Sorry, my spell checker changed it to CBT  Grin

I wonder how other get through all the questions, and not be hung on 1 for that much time? Anyone think they will get rid of them in the coming year?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:38am
Evan S wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 11:21pm:
CBT stands for "cognitive behavioral therapy."  Maybe in view of your problematic pre-employment polygraph, you'll need some CBT.  Just kidding.  Grin

In some circles it also stands for "thingy & Balls Torture".  Maybe the IC could use that method for applicant "vetting", in lieu of the polygraph!   Cheesy Grin

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Another CBT PolyGraph Fail

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X