Normal Topic Stephen E. Fienberg, R.I.P. (Read 8372 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Stephen E. Fienberg, R.I.P.
Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dr. Stephen E. Fienberg, who headed the National Research Council's Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph, died on Wednesday, 14 December 2016. He was 74 years old:

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2016/december/obituary-fienberg.html

Fienberg's committee produced the landmark report, The Polygraph and Lie Detection (PDF), which advised against polygraph screening, concluding that "its accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies."

As we note on the AntiPolygraph.org home page, Fienberg once quipped "Polygraph testing has been the gold standard, but it's obviously fool's gold."

Alas, the foolishness of reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy is not so obvious to scientifically illiterate policy makers. Stephen Fienberg's wisdom will be missed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: Stephen E. Fienberg, R.I.P.
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:40pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:12pm:
Alas, the foolishness of reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy is not so obvious to scientifically illiterate policy makers. Stephen Fienberg's wisdom will be missed.

George, with The Donald coming into the Oval Office in just 32 days, it may be the opportunity. I see him as someone who could quickly see the folly of what's been transpiring all these years. You should try reaching out to his staff before the same ideas become entrenched in his administration. He's a rebel and could entertain alternatives.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:37am
Ex Member wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:40pm:
George, with The Donald coming into the Oval Office in just 32 days, it may be the opportunity. I see him as someone who could quickly see the folly of what's been transpiring all these years. You should try reaching out to his staff before the same ideas become entrenched in his administration. He's a rebel and could entertain alternatives.

C'mon, Ark. Let's get real.

Look at the military hawks and law-and-order types Trump is tapping for key positions. 

If anything, polygraph use is likely to expand -- not contract -- under Trump's administration.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 6:00am
Just because someone is a hawk, does not necessarily mean they will sign on to pseudoscience. By the way, your name is not George.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Given that Trump is a businessman with a keen appreciation for efficiency, I could see him going all in for EyeDetect.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:10pm
Ex Member wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:40pm:

Thank you for the suggestion, Arkhangelsk! Indeed, I am not aware that President-Elect Trump or any of his nominees have publicly expressed an opinion on polygraph policy.

If anyone has contact information for any relevant members of the incoming administration, I would be grateful if you could privately let me know.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 7:00pm
Considering Trump's history as a guest on Howard Stern's radio show, maybe he'll appoint Ed Torian as polygraph czar.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:38pm
By the way, Merry Christmas everyone. 

For those of you fighting the futile war against Christmas, kindly take your "happy holidays" and insert it as far as you can into your rectum.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 8:36pm
OK, Ark, we get it. 

But don't you think it's time for the APA to take God out of its polygraph seminars?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:16pm
Indeed yes. I suppose some clarification is in order on my previous post. In my family growing up, Christmas was not a secular holiday as such, but the focus was on family gatherings and good will to mankind. My Christmas is about Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Santa. Mangers and the like were peripheral and usually only for the "Spirit of Christmas." I cannot remember even one time going to church during the Christmas holiday period. But, it irks me when I am told discard parts of my culture. It would be akin to telling Mexicans to stop whacking piñatas because it's "violent." I love crushing political correctness. Going to get a refill on the rum and eggnog now.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:07am
Trump is a lover of the good ole boy network when it comes to business, so he will give ear to the people with money.

So, yea, best of luck

Joe

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 1:31am
So...you voted for Hillary?  Say it ain't so!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:14am
I didn't vote for any of them.  I said that before.  I guess this is another example of either reading comprehension issues, or a selective memory.

Hillary wouldn't have done anything either, she is a bigger protector of the good ole boys clubs than Trump.  Moreover, America knows she can be bought.  For the right price, that woman would eat her young, and then slap her momma in the mouth for a nickel

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 10:50am
Ex Member wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:38pm:
By the way, Merry Christmas everyone. 

For those of you fighting the futile war against Christmas, kindly take your "happy holidays" and insert it as far as you can into your rectum.

Happy Kwanza to you!   Grin

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Stephen E. Fienberg, R.I.P.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X