Normal Topic Feeling defeated. (Read 5961 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Thatguy2939
New User

Feeling defeated.
Jun 14th, 2016 at 12:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello,

Just wanted to share my experiences.

Background:
I was in a two day phase 2 quick test to get in a July academy for "anonymous highway patrol". The state is on the complete other side of the coast so I've spent around 2k and risked losing my current job this time (seems crazy but I never dreamed this would happen). 

Experience:
Walked in, went over my background packet, changed a few things like it didn't dawn on me having sex in my car at 16 was a yes to "exposing yourself in public" because frankly that didn't cross my mind until he asked if I've ever had it. One or two more things like that we changed yes to no or no to yes. 

Pre Test:
He explained to me this test is 93% accurate and it won't be wrong before we started. He also told me anything we talked about on the pre packet to not answer on this test for example, have I ever commited crime against human? Yes I have I have been in two fights 16 and 19, but since I already told him when he asks if I've been in a fight or crime against a human, answer no unless there is a fight I haven't told him about. He hooked me up and it is suprisingly very uncomfortable, between my fingers not being able to bend, the tight blood pressure thing making my arm turn purple and tingly, and the wraparound cord under my ribcage feeling like it was constricting my breaths it was just a bad feeling.....but maybe that is the purpose as I am no expert. 

Test:
Between every set he kept telling me I was being deceitful because I am swallowing, breathing heavy, or making my arm move. I wasn't trying to I was just increasingly more and more uncomfortable. The questions themselves were pretty much cake, only one question was asked that I said yes to on the packet but like he said I answered no because we had already discussed it. 

After test: 
I was feeling great, was trying to map out how to get to the next test. Then he came in told me I failed, I thought he was kidding trying to catch me with something at first. Then he sits down about 4 feet from my face and says I know for a fact you are not telling the truth, come on something is on your mind you want to tell me. When I asked just what exactly I scored bad on, wouldn't you know it, it was the one I was guilty of but he told me to say no since we talked about it. There 100% is nothing else. When I told him that he goes "I have been doing this along time and I know when someone isn't telling the truth and you aren't and you will never apply here again". I pleaded a little more and got nowhere. 

Aftermath:
I now have no go ask for my old job back, ask my apt manager if my apt is still an option to rent again, and worst of all tell my long time girlfriend and parent that I didn't make it. It's simple, I would not have spent all this money and put all my eggs in one basket just to come here and lie. Especially about something this stupid. Now I aparantly have been disqualified for lying, something I didn't do and can no longer pursue my dream job in my dream state. I have a lot of thinking to do now. I am not mad or sad, I just feel directionless now and that something has gotten robbed from me....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rome
User

Re: Feeling defeated.
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 4:09pm
That really sucks.  It doesn't seem right for him to tell you to say no to something that was actually a yes (even if you had already discussed it), unless it was a directed lie question. Sounds like you got hosed.

Think about that. If the thing is accurate (we all know that it is pretty much a coin flip), how would you lying be beneficial unless it was a directed lie? Which it couldn't have been because he was calling you out on it. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 4:30pm
Thatguy2939 wrote on Jun 14th, 2016 at 12:48pm:
When I asked just what exactly I scored bad on, wouldn't you know it, it was the one I was guilty of but he told me to say no since we talked about it.

I will repeat my point from another post. One can only fail an exam its entirety. The polygraph technique does not allow for nor does any research support, calling individual questions as deceptive. 

If there is to be a debate, my question would be "Why does the APA turn a blind eye to split calls?"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 4:51pm
Thatguy2939,

Thank you for sharing your experience publicly here. I regret, but am not surprised, that things turned out as they did. False accusations of deception and wrongful blacklisting from employment are commonplace with polygraph screening, an invalid procedure that has no scientific basis.

The badgering between chart collections is the kind of thing that a polygraph operator would do if he wanted to ensure that an individual failed the polygraph. I would be grateful if you would share with me, in a private message the identity of the polygraph operator who did this.

Do you recall the precise wording of the question with respect to which the polygrapher accused you of deception?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Realtalk84
New User

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 11:13pm
First off you never admit to anything present or past! did you read on antipoloygraph countermeasure this would have helped you tremendously! I know because I have take numerous poloygraphs for seven yrs while on probation. Its all bullshit when you really think about it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Thatguy2939
New User

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 12:03am
Thank you all for the replies I appriciate that. I can't help but wonder had I said yes and made up a hypothetical fight with a friend if I would have passed. Go figure right? Lie to pass a poly lol....

Maybe my experience will help a reader in the future and something positive comes out of this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rome
User

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 1:20am
Thatguy2939 wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 12:03am:
Thank you all for the replies I appriciate that. I can't help but wonder had I said yes and made up a hypothetical fight with a friend if I would have passed. Go figure right? Lie to pass a poly lol....

Maybe my experience will help a reader in the future and something positive comes out of this.

Don't second guess yourself for that.  If you said you had another fight under pressure from him,  the examiner would have nailed you for lying to him before the test.  Sounds like the examiner was looking to fail you from the start.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 10:59am
What do you mean by an "anonymous highway patrol" ?  Undercover? Huh

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 11:01am
I suppose that underage sex, even if consensual and between two minors, could technically be construed as a sex crime? Huh

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Feeling defeated.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X