Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Polygraph Question..? (Read 11179 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Galan007
New User

Polygraph Question..?
May 7th, 2016 at 4:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Okay, so I work for a state agency in AZ that falls under the 'exempt' tier of the EPPA. Recently someone pirated a movie online using my employer's internet. Right now my employer is  in investigation-mode trying to find the guilty party(5 of us were working that day.) If no one fesses up, I have no doubt that they will try to administer polygraph tests for all 5 of us. 

That said, can I still legally refuse to take the test even though my employer is 'exempt' from the EPPA? If so, can I be terminated by my employer solely for refusing?

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: Polygraph Question..?
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2016 at 6:26am
Galan007,
Anybody can refuse to take a polygraph exam and I think most on this forum would advise you to do just that. A competent examiner would refuse to polygraph anyone who is being coerced.

As you noted, the EPPA does not apply to government agencies. Whatever sanctions your employer can apply to you would be in accordance their HR policy. If I were concerned, I'd ask them point blank.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2016 at 12:11pm
Galan007 wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 4:50am:
Okay, so I work for a state agency in AZ that falls under the 'exempt' tier of the EPPA. Recently someone pirated a movie online using my employer's internet. Right now my employer is  in investigation-mode trying to find the guilty party(5 of us were working that day.) If no one fesses up, I have no doubt that they will try to administer polygraph tests for all 5 of us. 

That said, can I still legally refuse to take the test even though my employer is 'exempt' from the EPPA? If so, can I be terminated by my employer solely for refusing?

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

You can legally refuse to take the polygraph, however, your refusal may (and likely will) have adverse employment consequences, up to and including termination.

I didn't find much Arizona legislation governing the polygraph interrogation of state employees. There are, however, provisions governing the polygraphing of law enforcement officers:

http://azleg.state.az.us/ars/38/01104.htm

and probation officers:

http://azleg.state.az.us/ars/38/01134.htm

Note the requirement that any polygraph examination be audio recorded, and a copy provided to the examinee. Should it come to that, I would be happy to review the recording for you and provide you with a critique.

I disagree with Arkhangelsk's statement that "A competent examiner would refuse to polygraph anyone who is being coerced." First, it should be noted that there is no such thing as a "competent" polygraph examiner. They are all incompetent when it comes to the detection of deception. Moreover, any polygraph operator(s) interrogating you and/or your colleagues will no doubt be state employees who will do as instructed.

If I were in your shoes I would seek the advice of a local attorney with expertise in labor law and also consult a union representative, if you have one.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2016 at 2:49pm
Thanks for your responses. 

Other than a blanket suspicion that one of us may have been involved, do they need any other more legitimate reasons/evidence before they can commence with a polygraph, or can they request us to take one based on this general suspicion?

Also, if we take the test and fail it, can we suffer any negative recourse based solely on that?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Galan007 wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 2:49pm:

Other than a blanket suspicion that one of us may have been involved, do they need any other more legitimate reasons/evidence before they can commence with a polygraph, or can they request us to take one based on this general suspicion?

Also, if we take the test and fail it, can we suffer any negative recourse based solely on that?

I don't know the answers to your first question, but with respect to the second, see the Arizona Revised Statutes, Section 38-1138:

Quote:
38-1138. Polygraph examinations

A. The results of a polygraph examination in an investigation may not be the basis for disciplinary action unless other corroborating evidence or information exists to support that disciplinary action.

B. Notwithstanding section 39-123, all data and reports from a polygraph examination of a probation officer are confidential and may be used only for employment, certification or reactivation of certification purposes or for the administrative matter for which a polygraph was administered, including other ancillary matters. All other uses are prohibited.

C. Except for a preemployment polygraph after which an applicant was not hired or in the case of an active investigation or an appeal, the data and reports from a polygraph examination of a probation officer shall be destroyed as soon as practicable three years after the date of appointment or employment but not more than ninety calendar days after that date.

See also Section 38-1108, which adopts similar language with respect to law enforcement officers.

Again, I suggest you seek local legal counsel. In addition, I suggest you review Chapters 1,3, and 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. This information will be useful in the event that you are compelled to submit to this pseudoscientific procedure.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2016 at 7:20pm
I guess "competent" was misleading. I meant competent as in being aware of the ethics. Any examiner that would conduct a polygraph exam knowing that the examinee is being coerced into submitting either does not understand or chooses to ignore the ethics of his profession.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Ex Member wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 7:20pm:
I guess "competent" was misleading. I meant competent as in being aware of the ethics. Any examiner that would conduct a polygraph exam knowing that the examinee is being coerced into submitting either does not understand or chooses to ignore the ethics of his profession.

What are these ethics of the polygraph "profession" of which you speak?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2016 at 7:59pm
From my perspective the set should include:

-Not asking questions regarding religious beliefs
-Not asking questions regarding sexual orientation
-Not asking questions which would turn one family member against another
-Refusing to examine someone who is not voluntarily submitting (signing a form is insufficient evidence)

Attached is the APA code of ethics

2015_code_of_ethics.pdf ( 32 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2016 at 8:16pm
These are noble thoughts, but the polygraph "profession" is bound by no ethical code that enshrines them. The American Polygraph Association code you reference makes no such imposition. And in any event, the APA's "ethics" code is little more than window dressing.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2016 at 8:35pm
Any polygraphers want to go on the record? Would you conduct a polygraph exam on someone who is being coerced into submitting?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2016 at 8:43pm
Ex Member wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 8:35pm:
Any polygraphers want to go on the record? Would you conduct a polygraph exam on someone who is being coerced into submitting?

Polygraph operators have an easy out. The examinee will be coerced into signing a statement that she is submitting to the procedure "voluntarily." Is this news to anyone?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2016 at 8:53pm
I guess that's what I originally meant as "competent." Having a signed form provides cover, but does not eliminate the coercion.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2016 at 9:46pm
George W. Maschke wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 3:34pm:
Galan007 wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 2:49pm:

I don't know the answers to your first question, but with respect to the second, see the Arizona Revised Statutes, Section 38-1138:

Quote:
38-1138. Polygraph examinations

A. The results of a polygraph examination in an investigation may not be the basis for disciplinary action unless other corroborating evidence or information exists to support that disciplinary action.

B. Notwithstanding section 39-123, all data and reports from a polygraph examination of a probation officer are confidential and may be used only for employment, certification or reactivation of certification purposes or for the administrative matter for which a polygraph was administered, including other ancillary matters. All other uses are prohibited.

C. Except for a preemployment polygraph after which an applicant was not hired or in the case of an active investigation or an appeal, the data and reports from a polygraph examination of a probation officer shall be destroyed as soon as practicable three years after the date of appointment or employment but not more than ninety calendar days after that date.

See also Section 38-1108, which adopts similar language with respect to law enforcement officers.

Again, I suggest you seek local legal counsel. In addition, I suggest you review Chapters 1,3, and 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. This information will be useful in the event that you are compelled to submit to this pseudoscientific procedure.
Thank you.

So in my case, it might be best to take the 'test'. If I refuse to take it, I can be subject to disciplinary action... But if I take, and fail, the test secondary to nervousness or whathaveyou, they can't issue any sort of discipline anyway.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:06am
George W. Maschke wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 8:16pm:
These are noble thoughts, but the polygraph "profession" is bound by no ethical code that enshrines them.

George, as a followup to this interesting thread. I happened upon the attached article from 1965 published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminality written by Charles L. Yeschke entitled "Ethics and the Polygraph Examiner." It seems that the profession had an earnest vision of ethics a half a century ago. Comparing line by line with contemporary practices demonstrates that this redeeming value was lost in the subsequent corruption.

Noteworthy is that he frowns upon anyone claiming extremely high accuracy: "Any verbal or advertised contention of perfection - No reputable examiner should manufacture such a claim, realizing in the first place that all individuals cannot be successfully examined with the polygraph, and knowing that perfection has never been achieved in any process where human beings are implicated."

He further admonishes; "Any employment of the polygraph for the sole intent of inducing confessions and thus disregarding the equally important function of the polygraph in exonerating the innocent."

polygraph_ethics_article.pdf ( 402 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 12:57pm
Ex Member wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:06am:
It seems that the profession had an earnest vision of ethics a half a century ago.

I'm not so sure about that. There were no doubt things going on in the polygraph "profession" fifty years ago that concerned Yeschke enough that he felt the need to write this article, which was published years after John A. Larson stated: "The lie detector, in many places, is nothing more than a psychological third-degree aimed at extorting a confession as the old physical beatings were."

It's also worth noting that Yeschke taught at the Reid school, whose teachings on interrogation are all about extorting confessions.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Polygraph Question..?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X