Poll
Poll Question:

« Created by: StonePefs on: Apr 4th, 2016 at 4:59pm »
Normal Topic Interesting TV Program (Read 5681 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Interesting TV Program
Jan 1st, 2016 at 11:07pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Greetings and Happy New Year wishes to the anti-polygraph community.  Yesterday I watched TV while working out at a local fitness club and unfortunately didn't have the ability to record details of the program.  My recollection was that the show was Dateline.  The show dealt with a cold case in the state of Washington and the victim was named Sandi Johnson.  What I found interesting was the fact that the victim's husband was initially the prime suspect based on some of his actions and bolstered by his alleged failing a police administered polygraph exam.  Although I wasn't able to see the entire program, it was obvious that the husband was not the guilty party and someone else was eventually arrested and convicted for the murder.  I have substantiated some of the above through on-line research but could not find the possible Dateline episode.

I was encouraged that the show featured a polygraph failure,  hopefully another chink in the armor of the polygraph.  This failure wasn't a highlight of the show but anyone with a brain who watched the show saw evidence of the polygraph's unreliability.  I believe this show was the first time I've ever seen the polygraph shown in a negative light by the mainstream media. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Re: Interesting TV Program
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 6:36pm
Wandersmann wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 11:07pm:
I was encouraged that the show featured a polygraph failure,  hopefully another chink in the armor of the polygraph.

To anyone who read my post yesterday, I'd like to clarify some possible ambiguity in my statement.  When I spoke of polygraph failure, I was not referring to a person who failed a polygraph exam.  I was referring to the failure of the polygraph instrument to ascertain the truth.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Psycho Physiologist
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 4:55am
I know of more than one Forensic Files episodes where suspects pass polygraphs but ended up being convicted. Also episodes where suspects failed, but were later found to be innocent.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 6:26am
Psycho Physiologist wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 4:55am:
I know of more than one Forensic Files episodes where suspects pass polygraphs but ended up being convicted. Also episodes where suspects failed, but were later found to be innocent.

Generally, however, it has always been my observation that in these "true crime" TV programs, as well as in the paperbacks of that genre, the polygraph (almost always "suggested" to suspects by the police) is inevitably portrayed as the arbiter of last resort as to guilt or innocence of the suspect.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:30am by xenonman »  

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Interesting TV Program

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X