Normal Topic Is my LEO life over before it began? (Read 2301 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rocketman06
New User

Is my LEO life over before it began?
Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:23am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took a polygraph for CBP back in the summer of 2013. I had heard a bit about the procedure and it made me nervous. I had done some things in my past that I was not proud of, but I've never even revived a speeding ticket. 

I went for my exam and arrived about 20 minutes early. I made sure to eat (normally I don't eat breakfast but I was told to so I did). The examiner made me wait over an hour and a half past the scheduled start time. When I got in I decided "hey honesty is the best policy right?" So I went ahead and told him thr issue I was thinking about and I wanted to be forthcoming about it. He made me feel like it was no big deal and even stated it "wasn't like I had murdered someone" and I agreed. The problem was (as I now understand), I had just given this guy the means to wreck my life. This guy eventually had me to admitting to almost being as bad as a murderer. I had taken something from a previous employer and felt awful about it. The guy got me to say I had stolen over 2500 bucks worth product (no where NEAR, what I took and I do admit I did take something that didn't belong to me, like many people I'm sure.) Anyway, he said he felt like there was more (really guy?) and I needed to come clean (I just admitted to stuff I hadn't done because of the pressure he put on me). I had to wait 6 hours to finish and he told me we couldn't complete the exam that day. Well long of the short of that was I didn't pass for CBP.

Flash forward to today. I had applied to the TSA several months ago. The interviews went well and the personnel  who did my interview told me I was way over qualified due to my BS CJ. Well I just got a letter in the mail telling me that TSA won't take me because of the CBP polygraph. It said I can dispute it, but I'm not sure what good that will do.

I live in one of the rare states that doesn't require LEO's to take a polygraph but will it matter at this point? Is my education just going to go down the capper because of my polygraph? Will local agencies know I took one (again honesty best policy)? Should I just give up on a LEO job all together? I don't want to and I think it's what I was ment to do. How long will this bad choice I made as a young man and again NO criminal record, haunt me?

It honestly has me a little depressed right now. Nothing crazy just feeling like my dream might be over. 

Is there anyone out there who has overcome a bad polygraph to get into LEO work and if so, how did you do it?

Thank you!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Re: Is my LEO life over before it began?
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Rocketman06 wrote on Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:23am:
Is there anyone out there who has overcome a bad polygraph to get into LEO work and if so, how did you do it?

Keep after it !  I know at least one person who was hired by a Federal agency after flunking a polygraph at another.  There is no special way to maneuver, just keep trying.  Our Federal security personnel and polygraph examiners aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed.  In my humble opinion, many of them would have probably been concentration camp guards had they lived in Germany in the 1930's.  Often, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing among them.   
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2015 at 6:05pm by Wandersmann »  

IP Logged

Is my LEO life over before it began?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X