Normal Topic Very Sketchy Past 15+ Years Ago, Pristine Ever Since (Read 7608 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rnstlluu

Very Sketchy Past 15+ Years Ago, Pristine Ever Since
Aug 20th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey all - 

A federal law enforcement agency is trying to bring my husband on as a non-officer/agent - a tech guy working with and amidst classified material.   

He's been working there for some time with a minimal clearance as a contractor but the Fed position requires a full-scope poly.

I know, I know - I can see the site I'm on.  Given all of the provisos about the accuracy of the test itself, here's a run-down of his situation:
  • He grew up in a horrendous environment w/  awful parents.  There was extensive drug use and dealing (his dad was apparently part of an honest-to-goodness motorcycle gang), periods of homelessness, extreme abuse and neglect, no contact with his father from the ages of 11-18 (which my husband initiated), poverty / hunger.  When I hear stories from him and his siblings, it's amazing that they're all still alive.
  • He was arrested at 14 for B&E.  The charges were suspended under the condition that he complete 2 years of probation and community service.  He did. (I may have gotten some of the terms wrong there - I've had very little contact with the criminal justice system).
  • Starting at about the age of 16 he smoked pot enough that no one could ever dismiss it as "experimentation".
  • At 18, after his Mom was institutionalized for trying to burn down their house and then attacking responding officers (bad.childhood.), he moved out on his own. From about 19-22, he did a lot of drugs. I think that the only drugs that I can readily name that he didn't at least try were heroin and meth.
  • Near the end of his 22nd year, he decided that he really didn't want to live like that anymore and just...stopped. It's amazing, really, but he's an amazing type of guy. Off of everything, he worked his way through a BA, an MA, and into a career in IT.
  • He's now approaching 40.

He's been honest with every question asked of him so far - he's told his security interviewers about the juvenile arrest and has answered in the affirmative when asked if he's ever smoked pot. He's told them that his parents were / are addicts, that his brother's a felon (though living a straight and narrow life for almost a decade now), and that his sister's a mess (alcoholism, drugs) when he was asked about his family.
He's answered, "No," when asked if he's ever had a problem with addiction. Given his ability to stop cold turkey I'd say that he's told the truth, but we'll see what the agency in question thinks as the process moves along.

He plans on being completely honest regarding his past as the questions are asked.   

Given the above, do you (who have a much greater knowledge of federal law enforcement guidelines in general and full scope polys in particular, no matter your opinion of their failings) think that he has a shot?

If his past actions aren't immediately disqualifying, do those who can honestly admit to having done so much have an edge against  false positives?

Thanks, and I hope this post finds you well.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rnstluu

Re: Very Sketchy Past 15+ Years Ago, Pristine Ever Since
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 9:03pm
And, sorry - I just saw that this forum specifies that it's for non-poly related threads.

I threw those last questions on just hook my overall query into the site's purpose, so I guess just disregard them  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 12:50am
I think Quickfix is probably the best one to give you the insight on this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 10:36pm
Rustluu,
You might try sending a PM to quickfix and ask him directly. He is like a mischievous pixie or leprechaun, surfacing, then popping out of existence unexpectedly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 7:25am
I simply can not believe that someone with a background such as this can even think about employment that involves a security clearance! Shocked

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 7:27am
Ex Member wrote on Aug 21st, 2015 at 12:50am:
I think Quickfix is probably the best one to give you the insight on this.

Ex Member wrote on Aug 21st, 2015 at 10:36pm:
Rustluu,
You might try sending a PM to quickfix and ask him directly. He is like a mischievous pixie or leprechaun, surfacing, then popping out of existence unexpectedly.

That's exactly the same way that I feel about the proliferation of "guests" on AP! Wink

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Very Sketchy Past 15+ Years Ago, Pristine Ever Since

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X