Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Daily Beast Article on Polygraphy (Read 64261 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Re: Daily Beast Article on Polygraphy
Reply #30 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 8:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dan Mangan wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 6:36pm:
Last year I received 15% of the votes for president-elect; this year my support jumped to 28%.

Next year, I predict the APA electorate's support for me will be around 40%, maybe higher.

In 2017, it's gonna be a real horse race -- if I'm permitted to run, that is.

Clearly, there's a widening schism within the APA.

Any polygrapher who has ruined someone's life or career based solely on interpretation of polygraph results or some bogus interrogation summary like the one featured on Penn & Teller's show "Bullshit" must have absolutely no conscience.  The APA needs to move towards emphasizing the polygraph as an investigative tool and stand against "witch-hunts" that ruin innocent people.  This means that people of real integrity must emerge to put principle over profit.  This 21st century McCarthyism must stop.  The Nazi's claimed they were conservatives, the polygraph establishment claims they are people of integrity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #31 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 12:38am
Wandersmann, in the final analysis, polygraph is primarily about one thing -- MONEY.

I'm doing my best to call attention to that inconvenient truth, which the polygraph indu$try seeks to hide, in my opinion.

If my theory is correct, that's why my election platform was rejected by the APA's indu$try apologist establishment and their loyal followers.

Hey, why kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?

Yes, it's sad. Very sad. 

Collateral damage? That's simply a by-product of the "test" process.

But with 28% of the APA electorate supporting my realist views, hope springs eternal.

We'll know much more about that growing trend in a year or two.

I predict steadily increasing support from polygraph progressives within the APA.

Meanwhile, I invite the popular self-described  polygraph "scientists" -- e.g., APA past president Barry Cushman, current APA president Raymond Nelson, John Palmatier, Ph.D, and others -- to chime in with their opinions, comments, and, most important, their evidence-based findings.

C'mon scientists, this is your chance to explain why polygraph works to the extent you claim.

Let's hear it.

[cue crickets]
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:44am by Dan Mangan »  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box december
New User

Reply #32 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Dan Mangan wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Before you go on another lengthy hiatus, december, I'd like your comments on something...

I ran for president-elect of the American Polygraph Association on this simple three-point platform:

1. A bill of rights for polygraph test subjects, designed to  elevate informed consent to a higher level and help prevent victimization from false results

2. An ongoing countermeasure challenge series, integral to APA seminars, designed to better reveal polygraph's real-world accuracy and expose the troubling variations in examiner competence

3. Equality for all APA members regarding their participation in APA politics (as office seekers), and access to educational materials presented at APA events

What, if anything, do you find objectionable about my election platform?

1.  Bill of Rights for Polygraph Test Subjects

I do not know what the rules for polygraph examiners are in your State.  In my State, and in several other states that I have looked at, there are Licensing Guidelines or Rules which apply to polygraph examiners.  They must be licensed by the State.  There are specific rules, one of which is actually called a Bill of Rights, paraphrased as follows:

*      Must be voluntarily taken
*      Has the right to know the nature of the examination
*      May terminate the exam at any time
*      Questions must be reviewed with the examinee and cannot be changed during the test
*      The examinee must have a reasonable opportunity to explain reactions to pertinent questions
*      The examinee is entitled to a thorough explanation of what to expect in the exam
*      Minimum number of charts must be rendered
*      No questions regarding the examinee’s sexual orientation, religion, race, political beliefs or affiliations
*      Right to know the results of the examination in a timely manner if requested

Therefore, I believe you mean that the APA should have such a policy.  If there are states which do not include such things in their licensing rules or if they do not have licensing rules, I wholeheartedly agree that the APA should have a Bill of Rights for Polygraph Test Subjects.

2.      Countermeasures – I understand what countermeasures are but as I said before, I am not a polygraph examiner.  Therefore, I would certainly agree that training polygraph examiners to recognize countermeasures would be a necessity.  As far as “real-world” accuracy goes, I have a strong belief that accuracy cannot be determined by comparing one examiner’s testing outcome on a general level to another examiner’s testing outcome unless they are testing the same person.  How can you accurately compare examiners’ outcomes outside of a control group?  The examiner has no control over who he going to test and certainly not over whether they WILL or WILL NOT be telling the truth or whether they WILL or WILL NOT be using countermeasures. And then there is that “variation in examiner competence.”  In my research I have discovered that there are polygraph examiners who falsified their credentials in order to become licensed.  They were not qualified but were allowed to attend polygraph school, go through the licensing process, and are now licensed polygraph examiners.  And, there is no way to get their licenses revoked based on this information.  So, therein lies the “variation in examiner competence.”

3.      Equality for all APA members.  I am very much in favor of a balance between equality and liberty.  But as far as that concerns the APA, I have no opinion.

Finally, what do I find objectionable about your election platform ... Well, it was not so much that I found it objectionable, I just questioned your choice of forums.  However, I have considered your answer that “Nothing else in cyberspace even comes close.”  And I must agree that George Maschke certainly does have a large following.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #33 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:18pm
december, your state's polygraph guidelines do not go far enough.

In my view, a test subject has the right to know that polygraph's absolute accuracy is unknown, and, in fact, is unknowable -- as is the demonstrated accuracy rate of the vast majority of examiners.

In other words, the test subject should be advised well in advance that the "test" is a crapshoot, a SWAG.

Polygraph victimization is a big problem, and much of it is preventable.

Here's my rough draft of a bill of rights for polygraph test subjects...

> 1. Considerate and respectful treatment from the polygraph examiner throughout all phases of the polygraph process.
>
> 2. Knowledge of the name of the examiner who has primary responsibility for conducting the examination, and the names and professional relationships of other examines who may review the test for quality-assurance purposes.
>
> 3. Receive, if requested, a statement of qualifications of the examiner, including the number of exams they have run and the examiner's own accuracy rate with those exams. [unknowable, in all likelihood]
>
> 4. Receive, prior to the test, information on the technique to be used and citations (or abstracts) for peer-reviewed research that supports such technique.
>
> 5. Receive information, prior to the test, about polygraph theory and the testing process, accuracy estimates as determined by peer-reviewed research, and the prospects for error -- all in terms the subject can understand.
>
> 6. Receive, prior to the test, a complete (as possible) list of potential reasons for a false or inconclusive result, including instrument-related (hardware and software) variances that could skew results.
>
> 7. Receive, well prior to the exam, as much information about the risks, realities and limitations of polygraph testing -- including opposing views from respected academic and legal sources -- the subject may need in order to better give informed consent.
>
> 8. The right to refuse the exam, or halt the exam at any stage of the process.
>
> 9. The right to be advised as to the reason for the presence of any individual besides the examiner during any portion of the exam process.
>
> 10. Receive, if requested, a complete copy of the entire exam, including full-length continuous video, charts, work sheets, score sheets (manual), computerized scoring output, notes, and any background information supplied to the examiner.
>
> 11. Confidential treatment of all communications and records pertaining to the examination. Written permission shall be obtained before the polygraph records can be made available to anyone not directly concerned with the immediate case.
>
> 12. Mandatory video recording of the entire examination process.

Many of the "rights" I've identified above are profoundly consistent in spirit with the Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 -- i.e., they are designed to protect individuals.

As for a countermeasure challenge series, I predict that roughly half of the CM-trained ringers would beat randomly chosen polygraph operators. That scares the hell out of the polygraph indu$try.

Your comment about a "balance" between equality and liberty is most interesting.

I very much appreciate your taking the time to post. We need more such exchanges with other open-minded individuals who have an interest in polygraph "testing," and who do not fear participating in this forum. Thank you.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #34 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:19pm
First, thank you for the compliment.

I have read EPPA and I agree that your guidelines are not without merit.  I feel that items 4-7 may be a little over the head of a large number of people who are required to take polygraphs (and possibly even some polygraph examiners) -- not to disparage polygraph examiners or anyone who finds themselves in the position of being required to take a polygraph.  

And the part you underlined on number 3 -- examiner's own accuracy rates -- I'm not sure how you would determine that or how you could be confident in that information being received from the polygraph examiner.  Although, maybe you could require the polygraph examiner to take a polygraph on his accuracy rates.  HAHAHAHA!!  Still ridiculous!!!

Number 10 is problematic in my view because from what I understand charts could possibly be studied by the individual to help them "perfect" their countermeasure attempts and I believe the providing those items to the examinee might cause additional unforeseen problems -- not necessarily for the polygraph examiner, but for the entire probation/pre-employment system that relies on polygraph.  However, I certainly believe that such items should be provided to competent legal counsel if requested.

You seem to be somewhat disillusioned in polygraph and seem concerned that it is just about the money.  But isn't / shouldn't all business in this country be based on a free enterprise system -- which translates to money?

I realize, of course, that sex offenders and people wanting to be in certain types of employment do not have a choice when it comes to taking polygraphs.  But it is frightening that many of the potential law enforcement applicants who post here seem to be grossly unqualified for such a job.  One just needs to read or watch the news to know that we have a problem with the quality of law enforcement in this county.  I don't believe that polygraph is the be-all and end-all for determining the fitness of a law enforcement applicant, but it is one tool that can be used.  Further, PCSOT testing is also a necessary tool in the treatment of sex offenders.  I very strongly believe that sex offenders should be treated with consideration and respect and I also believe that the vast majority don't have issues with polygraph in general.  If they are being honest with themselves, their POs and therapists, they shouldn't be punished for treatment issues that might come up on a polygraph, but the polygraph also helps to keep them in check so that they don't re-offend.  Obviously, there are some people who will re-offend regardless of considerate and respectful treatment by therapists, polygraph examiners, and probation officers.  I'm sorry, I just don't have much sympathy for those who re-offend.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:09am by december »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #35 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:58am
december wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:19pm:
Number 10 is problematic in my view because from what I understand charts could possibly be studied by the individual to help them "perfect" their countermeasure attempts and I believe the providing those items to the examinee might cause additional unforeseen problems -- not necessarily for the polygraph examiner, but for the entire probation/pre-employment system that relies on polygraph.  However, I certainly believe that such items should be provided to competent legal counsel if requested.

Let's get real, shall we?

The polygraph apologists compare accuracy of the "test" to certain medically diagnostic procedures, such as film mammography.

Such a comparison is ludicrous, in my opinion. 

What would it matter if a positively diagnosed breast cancer sufferer pored over her initially diagnostic films for hours on end prior to a follow-up confirmation x-ray?

So, please explain why a polygraph test-taker's complete examination file should be limited to "competent legal counsel." 

If a polygraph file can be studied by the test-taker to beat a subsequent test, then the test itself is not scientifically valid.

Could you "beat" an x-ray by using countermeasures to hide a broken femur?

Of course not. That's just one example of why comparisons of polygraph exams to medical tests are bogus.

Hey, I'm all for free enterprise, but I'm also for an informed consumer. 

The late great clothier Sy Syms -- a businessman of substantial renown -- said "An educated consumer is our best customer."

Oddly, that doesn't wash with the polygraph indu$try.

Why?

Because knowing the truth about the risks, realities and limitations of the polygraph "test" kills over 90% of retail polygraph sales.

As for sex offenders, the polygraph functions mainly as an electronic rubber hose -- the role of which is to extract admissions -- in a somewhat disguised interrogation. 

There are no peer-reviewed non-"self-report" scientific studies that suggest otherwise.

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

A polygraph test is a SWAG -- a Scientific Wild-Ass Guess.

Consumers have the right to know that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wandersmann
Very Senior User

Reply #36 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:01am
Dan Mangan wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:58am:
Could you "beat" an x-ray by using countermeasures to hide a broken femur?

Amen !  This is a vital statement because no one can B.S. their way around it.  This statement speaks volumes for why this test should be used at most as a tool and never, ever a panacea of truth.  To ruin someone's life strictly based on a chart is a crime.  To use the instrument to focus on an area of possible investigative interest makes sense.  Right now the polygraph represents corruption and greed.  The APA, polygraph manufacturers, most polygraph examiners, and corrupt bureaucrats and politicians are abusing their authority to make careers/money off of "the box" and their greed explains the abuse.  They are people with absolutely no conscience.  Just like our problem of having too many lawyers, we have too many polygraph examiners and they must have a daily body count in order to survive.  Thank God for guys like Dan in the APA.  Keep working it Dan, this system has to break sooner or later.  The Salem Witch trials and McCarthyism were eventually ended.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #37 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:59pm
Mr. Mangan, as my sweet grandma used to say -- Bless your heart!

I must have let my open-mindedness get the best of me and I forgot that I am on antipolygraph rather than anti-incompetent-attorney or anti-incompetent-polygraph-examiner.  I would love to respond to your SWAG today, but unfortunately I have a project that I must finish and get sent out this afternoon.  Also, I have plans to get out from behind my computer and go to the country this weekend to enjoy the hot summer sun.  Therefore, my response will need to wait until Monday.

Another thing my grandma used to say was "Let's go to Dairy Queen" -- but I guess that doesn't really apply here ... or does it?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #38 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:28pm
No sweat, december, it'll keep.

As for my SWAG (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess) comment, that comes from retired CIA polygrapher John Sullivan, author of Gatekeeper: Memoirs of a CIA Polygraph Examiner.

In that most telling book, Sullivan characterizes polygraph as being about 92 percent art and eight percent science. I agree.

I also agree with NAS in that incident-specific polygraphs can have accuracy roughly somewhere between chance and perfection. Where that exact point is remains unknown. Why? Because accuracy depends on a host of variables so complex that the claim itself means almost nothing.

Of course, all bets are off when countermeasures are in play.

Yet, polygraph indu$trialists hawk flattering accuracy rates like a high-tech commodity of sorts, aided by cheerleading "scientists" who have a knack for statistical alchemy.

In that heady mix I see obvious parallels between the polygraph purveyors and the climate-change cuckoos. 

In either case, one should look at their data with extreme caution.

In spite of all that, I generally agree that specific-issue polygraph "works" -- with countermeasure-ignorant subjects -- but the error rate is huge. 

False results -- be they by design or just normal [ahem] "variation" as the pro-polygraph propagandists like to say -- happen far more often than the industry wants consumers to believe.

Thus, the "test" is very much a crapshoot.

Of course, this is just my opinion as a lowly polygraph operator.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #39 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 3:08am
I have a very short list as to whom December may be, but it is what it is.  Ok, let's do this

1, I will not debate someone hiding behind an anonymous screen name.  If you are hiding who you are, then you are not worthy of being taken seriously.

2, I find it pretty convenient that the screenname was generated during my lawsuit.

3, I stand by my polygraph challenge and stand by my statement that their fear of stepping up to their own test is either they fear the being caught in the truth or they don't believe the test works.  I wonder which is it

December scoffs at the idea of polygraph examiners taking polygraphs.  What she leaves out or ignores is the AAPP have a clause in their bylaws that endorse the use of polygraphs on a polygraph examiner.  Moreover, The Arizona Polygraph Association endorses the use of polygraph in situations just like what TAPE accused me of in 2009.  I guess the idea of using polygraphs on examiners isn't such a silly idea after all.  After all, most of the people I challenged are members of the AAPP.   

Are you trying to tell me these examiners think the AAPP bylaws are laughable?  hmmmmmmm interesting

Lastly, if my statements are lies, then it would be slander and libel.  I have restated them here over the past couple months, with supporting documentation.  All they have done is run for cover and send this little character assassin to get me..  LOL, how very pathetic.  They can't even fight their own battles.   

You speak of debating, here I am.  If you want to debate, identify yourself.  Or maybe, we will just have fun with IP addresses like before.   

You put yourself out there so very bravely, or so you think; but you are not brave enough to identify yourself.  How do you think you are credible here? You are already lying to the readers by omission.

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #40 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 4:13am
LOL, I have seen this before.  Someone trying to piss me off anonymously to get my gander up.  Sadly this stunt of their worked in 2008.

TAPE and Holden sent their little minions and sycophants to make me lose my temper and draw me into hostile debate; and these people did their jobs well back then.  Not this time. 

I have laid out fact after fact on other strings.  I have offered Documented Evidence in each fact I have laid out, some of which was their own emails, documents, certified court documents, and evidence gathered under subpoena.

I find it odd that this person didn't challenge any of those facts or that documentation laid out in those posts. Avoided them totally.   All this person had was the crap that went down with my ex.   

Ok, I will explain this to everyone, and it has never been a secret.  My ex did some things that even shocked me when I found out about them.  Some of these actions were criminal in nature and she faced the justice system for her actions.  Those are issues that are not my place to discuss.  Hollie can speak for herself if she wishes.

In regard to my ex, she has moved on with her life; leave her be.   

As to my current wife, I wouldn't draw her into this.  No good will come of that from their end.  Keep her out of it.

ya see everyone, this is their MO.

Holden Hubbard and TAPE use character assassins with nothing more than finger pointing, smoke, and mirrors.  Thsy also love doing this before they know I will be at a conference in an effort to defame me with hyperbole and irrelevant information.   

What they are hoping to achieve here is to fabricate their only weapon as seen in the video poster earlier.  That weapon is "mob mentality"   

This is the only way they win.  They simply distract like a cheap vegas street magician who just learned slight of hand.  They use inflammatory statements they have no proof of and avoid addressing the clear evidence.   

The only way they can fight is to do everything to avoid the documented evidence.  If they can, they will do everything in their power to avoid the presentation of such evidence; just like Hubbard and her boyfriend Holden did in 2009.   

The facts are out there, Hubbard and Holden's very own emails.    Of course, that has to be a lie right? Even though Ms. Hubbard has all but admitted that those emails and text messages belonged to her.  Funny how December avoids that totally.

Also funny how she avoids Maria's many lies from last year that I have clearly exposed with facts and documented evidence.

I think I have clearly established that avoidance is one of their most powerful weapons.  This mixed with hyperbole, manipulation and intimidation is it for them.  Next, if they follow their pattern will be threats of violence as they have done on no less than two occasions in the past.

Watch, the examiners will send December again because they want to avoid the issues.  Just like Jon Rios did last year at TAPE...... "I had nothing do do with that"  Meaning the TAPE ethics complaint.  Only to find out he was on the Board of Directors to which the ethics complaint was presented 

Avoid the subject, deny everything, or blame someone else.

Even more cowardly, not a one of them is willing to look me in the eye to refute what I am saying.

Instead they count of kangaroo courts that violate their own bylaws, or mob mentality by ambush.

Joe

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #41 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 1:21pm
Joe, your comments on polygraph's abusive "mob mentality" are well taken. Don't expect any of your anonymous detractors to identify themselves.

Similarly, observers should not be overly hopeful that the polygraph indu$try's leading self-described "scientists" -- including APA past president Barry Cushman, current APA president Raymond Nelson, and John Palmatier, PhD -- will appear here (the world's largest polygraph forum) to discuss their theories, research methods, and evidenced-based findings.

Clearly, polygraph has a credibility problem.

But, hope springs eternal. Maybe the evasive polygraph indu$try kingpins will step forward and prove me wrong.

[cue crickets]

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box joe mccarthy

Reply #42 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 7:16pm
Oh and about the anti incompetent polygraph examiner comment December; you can sling all the mud you want in that area, i never has a confirmed sexual harassment complaint that kicked me out of a school, i never has any racist and threatening anonymous emails come out of my office to intimidate a party in a lawsuit (aka witnesses intimidation), i was never restained from being away from children like father and son Holden, and i never has a 45% INCONCLUSIVE RATE like Holden's buddys in Tarrant County. 

If you want to talk about incompetentcy, lets talk about wood'ss 45% inconclusive rate. Mine BTW, has never gone above 9% 

Ill put my tests up against theirs any day of the week and never look back. 

Oh and i hope everyone's charts are clear, you may notice more lawyers demanding charts and questioning some scores. 

Hey, are we having any fun yet
P.S

Sorry for the guest name, i am on my cell. 

Oxox to december and the rest of the chart rolling impostors 

Travel light

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box joe mccarthy

Reply #43 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 9:52pm
Hey Dan, what do you bet December's IP address traces back to reagal row in Dallas just like lieguytoo?

Place your bets, place your bets

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #44 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 2:19am
Joe, do you really think december's cheap shots are yet another Dallas-based salvo?

Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so!

If that turns out to be the case -- and I know you'll find out -- I, for one, will be shocked, appalled and dismayed.

Meanwhile, where are the industry's leading self-described polygraph scientists?

This venue is the largest -- and most authoritative -- polygraph forum in the entire world.

Strangely, the cutting-edge polygraph scientists are reluctant to participate.

Why is that?

My theory: They have nothing substantive to show, everything to fear, and too much to lose.

Here's another possibility... Polygraph is a "secret" science. That would explain why the industry's researchers choose to remain cloistered in their well-guarded comfort zone, where appreciative audiences swoon and nary a critic is found.

But what do I know... I'm just a lowly polygraph operator.

Maybe they'll step up to the plate and prove me wrong. But I doubt it.

In the meantime, polygraph appears to be much more of an insider cult than a legitimate forensic science.

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2015 at 1:27pm by Dan Mangan »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Daily Beast Article on Polygraphy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X