Normal Topic Breakdown CM (Read 2695 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Breakdown CM
Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi all,

I'm scheduled to take what I think will amount to a breakdown test after failing the Relevant/Irrelevant test (despite honesty).  How would I go about employing countermeasures for this?  Lie Behind the Lie Detector doesn't really specify.   

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Breakdown CM
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 6:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The "breakdown test" is documented in Section C12.4.3.5 at p. 41 of the 2 October 2006 Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook (p. 58 of the PDF):

Quote:
C12.4.3.5. Breakdown Test. A breakdown test is conducted to verify an examinee's statements regarding an issue after specific responses to one question have been observed during an R/I screening examination. The issue is separated from the remaining test questions, and a breakdown test is conducted. To devise appropriate breakdown questions, divide the issue into its logical components and design a question to cover each key area. The breakdown test can be conducted using an R/I format or a comparison question format.

If a comparison ("control") question format is used, then countermeasures are straightforward: target the comparison or "control" questions.

If a relevant/irrelevant (R/I) format is used, then countermeasures are not so straightforward. One could target a different pair of relevant questions during each chart collection (question series) in an effort to ensure that no single relevant question stands out. But R/I scoring is particularly arbitrary, and it's far from certain that such an approach will be successful.

A possible countermeasure to the R/I technique that we don't address in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is scopalamine, which is the active ingredient in transdermal anti-nausea patches. It inhibits palmar sweating and may reduce the likelihood of a strong electro-dermal reaction being shown to any relevant question. A doctor's prescription may be required.

The behavioral countermeasures outlined in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may be especially important in the context of the R/I technique (because the latter is such an arbitrary and capricious methodology).

In addition, as discussed at pp. 151-153 of the 4th ed. of TLBTLD, it would be helpful to have a "throw-away" explanation prepared in advance for any alleged reaction to a relevant question.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Breakdown CM

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X